Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

Thanks for the site. The test kits that I'm using for dkh is Salifert and Hanna. Both are reading about the same.

Same two that i use. I like the Hanna as there is less noise from 1 ppm versus .01ml.

I use the Salifert for testing the dKH of the effluent. 2 drops to 2 ml effluent.

Funny to note that you haven't done the latest update either. I read that there are all sorts of problems with it.
Thanks again for suggesting to drop it down to 6.3. The chart is telling me that I'm injecting too much. Which route do you think is best, back off on the co2 or add more flow through the m/f?
d748a2a207f5842910a82f3c5604aa8c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

6.3 is too low. Media can turn to mush at that level. If dKH is increasing increase the dKH of the effluent by either decreasing the bubble count or decreasing the PSI of each bubble. Do not increase flow unless you can no longer meet the demands (usage) of the tank at a pH level of about 6.35

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/
I'll bump it back up to 6.5 and monitor it. I'll see how the numbers play out. I did bump up my effluent from 38 ml/min to 48.

Here are a few pics to give an idea. Not the best looking pictures. Lol. 1st pic, swapped out input with ph probe holder. 2nd pic, changed output to feed line. 3rd pic, was ph port which I had to buy a bushing from Menards and tapped with 1/8 npt for the fitting.

This is the way I did it. There might be a better way if doing it.
bad0b0eb9c511c85cda291d0ed775637.jpg
97418e5d4fd8addb785a41cb60168089.jpg
960ea984d8aac6caeaf225d737f95ec8.jpg

Souk did this modification solve your problem? I have a GEO reactor with the extra chamber and also getting major bubbles when I up my bubble count in order to achieve the correct ph. If I lower the amount that the Master Flex is pulling rather than upping the bubble count I land up with the same bubble issue.

Souk did this modification solve your problem? I have a GEO reactor with the extra chamber and also getting major bubbles when I up my bubble count in order to achieve the correct ph. If I lower the amount that the Master Flex is pulling rather than upping the bubble count I land up with the same bubble issue.
The mod is just to fix the air issue. My issue is a different thing.

Air issue being the bubbles?
Yes. In your case it could be from injecting too much co2 or air is getting in from one of the fittings or pump. If all connections are good and backing off the co2 is not the answer then you'll have to mod the first tube so the trapped air can vent out to the 2nd tube.

I've read through the many pages on this post, which has plenty of good content. I'm new to calcium reactor's and I'm finally going to break down and add to my tank. I have several questions and hope someone can share their knowledge. I have a 120g DT, mixed reef that is SPS heavy. Sad to say, but i probably understand about 30% of what I need to get this setup. I'm looking at the GEO CR612x2, with Electronic Carbon Doser, which I think comes with a regulator. First few post I see a different regulator that is attached to the carbon doser.

I'm looking at the many Peristaltic pumps from that cole parmer has to offer. First post from several brushless pumps are referenced. Those models are very expensive used on ebay, What am I looking for in a pump - brushless? RPM? Does the pump need to be all in one vs. modular?

How much flow do I need going into the reactor? I've read a lot about push / pull. If I plan to pull, do I setup the pump to pull from the top effluent? If I pull with the peristaltic pump, do I need to feed the reactor from my manifold? How much flow is coming from the peristaltic pump and back into the tank?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Souk the bushing where the probe is,did you have to replace it.If you did was the original bushing glued in.If it was glued how did you get it out?

Last edited:
Souk the bushing where the probe is,did you have to replace it.If you did was the original bushing glued in.If it was glued how did you get it out?
The black probe holder screws off and the original 1/2" pvc bushing that is glued on is still there. What you see is a 1/2" nylon screw on that had a barbed end that I had cut off and then tapped with 1/8 for the mur-lok fitting. I also added a black o-ring to help seal it. Not sure if it's needed but wanted to be safe. HTH

Souk not sure that we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about where the probe holder is in its new position.The black fitting is 1/2" the bushing is 1/4",did you replace the bushing or drill and tap it? If this needs to be moved to a new thread I will be happy to do so.

Souk not sure that we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about where the probe holder is in its new position.The black fitting is 1/2" the bushing is 1/4",did you replace the bushing or drill and tap it? If this needs to be moved to a new thread I will be happy to do so.
Sorry about that. If you are talking about the bushing that I circled then mine is 1/2". So no mod on my end. I'm not sure if he changed the fitting on other models but mine is the 818.
89f0e67c550b096a8633bc72e2913d73.jpg

eBay seller totally screwed me over. Purchased and asked a question on the item and today I get a cancellation with the reason stating the product was missing or damaged. What a crock!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So interesting day today. I got a call from the owner of the company for my eBay buy it now purchase that was cancelled after leaving negative feedback. He said he would sell to me for the original price I purchased at if I revised my feedback which I happily said yes to! New pump is on its way to me. If anyone needs a good working 6-600 rpm peristaltic pump let me know. Just had my father in law paint the cover John Deere yellow. Lol

4bacf536c0ec2495332758c0a06d14ef.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anybody here running a korallin C1502 have the master flex connected to the effluent line coming out of the lid of the reactor? I have my Masterflex setup to pull effluent through the normal effluent line coming off the pump. I noticed after powering down the eheim and Masterflex, when I go to turn everything back on the Masterflex will drain the reactor past the intake of the eheim inside the reactor so the eheim pump can't prime. I'm thinking about connecting the Masterflex to the lid effluent line and just closing off the line coming off the eheim Pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody here running a korallin C1502 have the master flex connected to the effluent line coming out of the lid of the reactor? I have my Masterflex setup to pull effluent through the normal effluent line coming off the pump. I noticed after powering down the eheim and Masterflex, when I go to turn everything back on the Masterflex will drain the reactor past the intake of the eheim inside the reactor so the eheim pump can't prime. I'm thinking about connecting the Masterflex to the lid effluent line and just closing off the line coming off the eheim Pump.

I have a Koralin c4002. It's the same reactor except taller. I'm drawing water off the lid effluent line and capped off the line off the eheim pump effluent line. It's much more reliable this way. The other way tend to collect c02 (or air) at the top of the reactor causing the pump to loose its prime.

I have a Koralin c4002. It's the same reactor except taller. I'm drawing water off the lid effluent line and capped off the line off the eheim pump effluent line. It's much more reliable this way. The other way tend to collect c02 (or air) at the top of the reactor causing the pump to loose its prime.

Awesome, I'll give it a try.

Yeah, that's the way it shhould be run. I had a graphic on the first page but it seems that is broken. I'll try to do some maintenance on this thread regarding broken pics and links a little later on this week.

Back