Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread

It's only turning off once it hits 6.4. The numbers will go 6.6 and then shoot up to 6.9 then start to come back down.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Change your Apex program to just shut off the regulator if pH gets to 6.3 (lower than that and it can turn media into mush). Watch it for a day and see where it settles out. If tank dKH continues to decrease than increase the PSI or bubble count to lower the pH of the effleunt. If dKH increases than lower the PSI or bubble count to raise the effluent pH. Do not set a high shutoff with the Apex.

Use the compare tab in the CaRx pH grap and overlay the temp on the pH graph. Temp has a direct impact on pH so if your temp is going up and down by even 1 degree, your pH will follow.

If your flow rate is consistent (which it should be with a masterflex) then your Co2 rate is fluctuating (low Co2 pressure in the tank could cause that) or the rise and fall coincides with temp or something else. Could even be something electrical in the tank that is turning on and off. Probe wires should never be run parallel to power wires for example.
Thanks. I'll try it out later and see what I find.

Change your Apex program to just shut off the regulator if pH gets to 6.3 (lower than that and it can turn media into mush). Watch it for a day and see where it settles out. If tank dKH continues to decrease than increase the PSI or bubble count to lower the pH of the effleunt. If dKH increases than lower the PSI or bubble count to raise the effluent pH. Do not set a high shutoff with the Apex.
Thanks for the tip. I'll change it to 6.3 and remove the off line in apex program.

Not sure how everyone else is dealing with it but i am having trouble with collecting co2 at the top of the Geo 618, running approx 1 bubble per 1.5-2 seconds. The tubing is 17 on a masterflex running at 50 (the number on the screen display). Every 2 days or so i have to prime out the bubble at the top of the reactor as it collects and interferes with the re circulation pump. Its not large enough to stop the pump from working completely but it is large enough to keep it from working properly. My reactor ph is 6.8.

Not sure how everyone else is dealing with it but i am having trouble with collecting co2 at the top of the Geo 618, running approx 1 bubble per 1.5-2 seconds. The tubing is 17 on a masterflex running at 50 (the number on the screen display). Every 2 days or so i have to prime out the bubble at the top of the reactor as it collects and interferes with the re circulation pump. Its not large enough to stop the pump from working completely but it is large enough to keep it from working properly. My reactor ph is 6.8.
Have you rerouted any of the input/output or still like the original setup?

Have you rerouted any of the input/output or still like the original setup?

everything is original. The pump pushes into the reactor and the effluent from the reactor is an open line into the sump. This way there is no resistance w/ fluid going into and out of the reactor (at least thats the idea)

I think your pushing too much Co2 into the reactor which is causing gas build up in it. That or you have air coming in someplace between the pump and sump. I run at 63ml/min and a Co2 rate of 1 bubble every 3 seconds at 3 PSI. This maintains a pH of about 6.5- 6.6 in a Geo 818 which is much larger than your 618. You are pushing nearly twice as much Co2 with less flow going through a smaller reactor so I think it’s a case of more Co2 going into the reactor than there needs to be and it’s not able to exit quick enough which is resulting in excess Co2 in the reactor.

everything is original. The pump pushes into the reactor and the effluent from the reactor is an open line into the sump. This way there is no resistance w/ fluid going into and out of the reactor (at least thats the idea)
You are injecting too much co2 or you will have to reroute your tubes. If you decide to reroute and need more help I can post some pix of my setup.

Souk, are you pushing or pulling with your Masterflex through your reactor? I would love to see how you rerouted your lines to avoid bubble build up on the lid of your reactor. This almost seems like a common issue with GEO reactors and would like to see how you addressed this issue. Trying to cover all my bases before I get my Watson Marlow and GEO 612 up and running. Thanks!

Souk, are you pushing or pulling with your Masterflex through your reactor? I would love to see how you rerouted your lines to avoid bubble build up on the lid of your reactor. This almost seems like a common issue with GEO reactors and would like to see how you addressed this issue. Trying to cover all my bases before I get my Watson Marlow and GEO 612 up and running. Thanks!
I'm pushing but either will do. I will get some pix up for you when I get back home.

Sweet... Thanks!
Here are a few pics to give an idea. Not the best looking pictures. Lol. 1st pic, swapped out input with ph probe holder. 2nd pic, changed output to feed line. 3rd pic, was ph port which I had to buy a bushing from Menards and tapped with 1/8 npt for the fitting.

This is the way I did it. There might be a better way if doing it.
bad0b0eb9c511c85cda291d0ed775637.jpg
97418e5d4fd8addb785a41cb60168089.jpg
960ea984d8aac6caeaf225d737f95ec8.jpg

Thanks again for suggesting to drop it down to 6.3. The chart is telling me that I'm injecting too much. Which route do you think is best, back off on the co2 or add more flow through the m/f?
d748a2a207f5842910a82f3c5604aa8c.jpg

So this may be helpful for alot of people or maybe not... i am currently using reborn media. Lets assume that due to my lack of maintenance of the lower levels of media, the reactor clogged up some, causing the recirc pump not to break/push the bubbles enough--causing bubbles to form and ph in the reactor not to drop properly. W/ that said...

How often do you guys clean the reactor? Do you toss old media? Can you just rinse the old media (smaller pieces at the bottom half of the reactor) and use them? Reborn doesnt seem to be all that cheap so thats why i ask. Ty

So after setting my ph in the rx at 6.3 to see if it would plateau but it just wants to go even lower then 6.3. So I decided to check my mag, alk, and cal to see where it's sitting at since the change. Looks like my mag stayed the same at 1380, my alk dropped from 7.35 to 6.85, and cal dropped from 400 to 390.

By dropping my ph in the rx shouldn't my effluent be more concentrated hence raising my levels? Any reason why it would continue to drop?

So after setting my ph in the rx at 6.3 to see if it would plateau but it just wants to go even lower then 6.3. So I decided to check my mag, alk, and cal to see where it's sitting at since the change. Looks like my mag stayed the same at 1380, my alk dropped from 7.35 to 6.85, and cal dropped from 400 to 390.

By dropping my ph in the rx shouldn't my effluent be more concentrated hence raising my levels? Any reason why it would continue to drop?

You might want to collect some of your effluent, cut it with RO/DI and test it.

The fact that your mag consumption isn't rising leads me to think that probably calcium and alk consumption isn't rising.

On a side note, your mag is on the low side and being on the high side, 1500 and above doesn't seem to hurt anything but if your test kit is off by a bit, low mg can lead to ca/alk precipitation.

So this may be helpful for alot of people or maybe not... i am currently using reborn media. Lets assume that due to my lack of maintenance of the lower levels of media, the reactor clogged up some, causing the recirc pump not to break/push the bubbles enough--causing bubbles to form and ph in the reactor not to drop properly. W/ that said...

How often do you guys clean the reactor? Do you toss old media? Can you just rinse the old media (smaller pieces at the bottom half of the reactor) and use them? Reborn doesnt seem to be all that cheap so thats why i ask. Ty

I clean about once or twice a year. I don't toss the old media.

Add more effluent and gas. Sounds like you simply aren't driving the reactor hard enough.

Back