Old gerbil aquarium

DownwardDawg

My son has a 20 gal (long) aquarium that presently houses gerbils. He may be giving them away and I, being the opportunist, was wondering if I could use this tank for anything. refugium, top-off water, qt....anything?

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Or anything about a 3 foot cooling pond under your sump.

Are you guys sure on this? My knee jerk reaction to the Q is "Yes you can use it for anything...... anything but reef related"
Im not saying yea or neh , just seems risky over a $20 tank

i would do a bleach bath, then wipe it down with vinegar. theres no telling what kind of parasites those gerbils might put in the tank. bleach for sure would knock it all out.

then use it as a QT.

I would bleach it, just to disinfect it of any possibly contaminents. Probably rinse, then wipe down with some bleach water mix, then fill and add bleach, let sit for a day and then let it air dry before use.

I have always been trained that if it housed anything but fish, it is not safe. I understood that the urine from the animals can get into the seams and leach out later.

I would NOT use the tank.

I have always been trained that if it housed anything but fish, it is not safe. I understood that the urine from the animals can get into the seams and leach out later.

I would NOT use the tank.

See, this was my concern. Urine, which would be ammonia, leeching from the seems. It may not be worth the risk but I'll keep researching. Just hate throwing away a tank!

A through washing and it will be fine. The seams WILL NOT absorb enough of anything to make a difference. Heck - you want (and need) some ammonia to cycle the tank anyway.

A more important question - is it really a fish tank? there are two seperate types of glass tanks - reptile and fish. The reptile tanks do not have as thick of glass and are not necessarily water tight.

Yes, it's a fish tank. Grabbed it at Pet Smart for him a while back. Good point though.
I may use it as a seperate refugium from from a tee off my return pump or something. I'm moving this summer so the 125 is on hold but my head won't stop thinking of all the options!

Back