One damsel that WILL bother some coral...and it's my fault: read on to the bottom.

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
Pocillopora and the 3-stripe dascyllus. NOT a good combo. The 3-stripes are a quirky lot in the first place, tending to grab coral frags and toss them if placed in an area it claims (gluing them down stops this). But apparently this fellow has decided poci is edible. Wondered what the culprit was, and caught him at it. The other dascyllus, a domino, is not interested, just the 3-stripe. And the 3-stripe is not bothering the sunset monti---unless he gets the notion from the poci snacks---and seems perfectly fine with lps. Just sayin'.

Damsel species that ever bother coral are rare, as in one. Lucky me. I found it. I'm going to try an inexpensive frag of a not-poci type and see if he bothers that. Many things will go after poci---pep shrimp will almost always sample it, then leave it alone. But the b&w is pretty well going to do this one in, I fear, and he wouldn't be easy to catch, not that I really want to. He's part of the tank and fine with most corals: if he lets monti alone, I can just avoid the poci types.

Last edited:
That's too bad, Pocilloporas are awesome! They do seem to be the first to get snacked on though, I had a Combtooth Blenny wipe one out.

pfft... who keeps damsels anyways.. :p
A $3 fish is certainly not going to stay alive in any tank of mine after eating a more expensive coral.. Not that I would ever have a damsel in my tank

I have a damsel tank. My favorite fish. Unfortunately, pocis will not now be part of the build; but he's not bothering the sunset monti at all. I'm going to try a different sps and see how that goes.

Well, interesting development: I'd been feeding a regimen of Reef Nutrition Mysis and Formula 1, which does contain some green, but apparently...
I know of an instance in which a Foxface Rabbitfish, in an lps tank, suddenly took after lps stony, notably a green hammer coral.
Out of curiosity, re the incident of an herbivore, the rabbit, suddenly turning on coral, and a green one---I suspect a rabbit's peculiar opal eyes filter strongly for that---maybe---my damsels haven't been getting enough green. And that's a green poci.

Now, the monster domino dascyllus was totally innocent of the poci-munching. But when I dumped some (shamefully old) spirulina pellet into the tank, the dascylli both were taking after every smidge of it, the big domino buzzing and fussing to scare everybody away from it.

The poci has some chance of recovery---there is some left of it.

I'm going to feed spirulina regularly, and see if that ends the desire for poci. That would be nice.

The takeaway is this---if you have a problem turn up, particularly one that's contrary to expectation, give the data a toss and see if anything settles out as kind of thought-provoking. Damsels aren't listed as herbivores, but---they may need some green. The little Fiji blues weren't showing interest, but the way the domino was buzzing, maybe they'll wait for next time, for safety. She's huge. They aren't. And note that both dascyllus, of different species, were after the green.

Footnote--since feeding the spirulina, no more interest in the battered poci. It's even possible the poci will recover.
I had been feeding Formula 1, which has a tiny bit of green; but switched to a straight mysis with occasional flake from another company. Now---we do mysis a day or so, then spirulina with a very little mysis. And we have happy fishes and maybe no more problems.

I've had one of these fish who was a gumming a Sunset montipora more times than I would like. It's gone now, but it was a cool fish though. We used to call them "Umpires" back in the day.

Well, alas, having started the poci---he's going to finish it. But he's shown no disposition to hurt the monti, acan, or candycane. Maybe if I got him a nice hydnophora (aggressive sps)...
Poci's are apparently attractive to some species, including angels, etc. UNfortunately once a fish starts nibbling coral of a certain type, he's apt to do it to those that look like it. But we'll see if I can get him something that tastes nasty.

Last edited:
Back