ORA Red Planet Frag prices.

Darkstar22

I just saw what is supposed to be an Ora Red Planet frag that is about 1 1/2 inches tall. It looks like the real thing, not entirely sure, but if it is. The LFS is asking $69.00. Is this ok?
Thanks

I just saw what is supposed to be an Ora Red Planet frag that is about 1 1/2 inches tall. It looks like the real thing, not entirely sure, but if it is. The LFS is asking $69.00. Is this ok?
Thanks

sadly that is the going price. from the LFS to a petco that carries ORA corals.
it is a hot seller if priced too low so the sellers make it hurt to buy a frag and
they still sell.. but not as fast if they were 45.

i have been resisting buying a frag because i think it is over priced and becoming
quite common. prices will come down.

Waiting to buy it? Sounds like you don't want it! :D

I can frag my every two months now that it has grown out and is hitting other coral. I'm happy to sell $15-25 frags of it when it happens too.

I really think this is one piece that won't really lose much value - it is just that pretty. I do agree with the statement that it is more widely distributed though.

Thanks

There are plenty of them on your local form. Just ask around and Im sure you will be suprised. I gave one to wicked demon.
AKA Bulldog:wavehand:

That's a fair price for a frag of that size from a LFS. Not great, but not highway robbery.

As flamron pointed out, you can probably get one from a local reefer for a lot cheaper.

Seems like everybody in my area already has one, so it's harder to find buyers than it is sellers.

60-70 resonable other than that the store will start to loose money unless some do group buy and they knock off a few dollars, as in every order from ora 200min fish order has to be made and most frags have limit on how many they can buy

Depends on size, but ORA frag sizes are relatively big - so I'd say it is a fair retail price. Definitely the most underrated red acro out there. Doesn't get any more red for acros than ORA Red Planet!

I've seen one at my LFS for 70 bucks and I bought one from a member of my local reef club for 25 bucks. I spent about 40 bucks in gas to drive to his house and pick it up. I thought I was saving some money but I broke out even... actually I picked up alot of other frags from him too so I was ahead.

ORA corals tend to stay the same prices on average in the stores. If the ORA piece has been around long enough then you should be able to find a local frag at a discounted price.

I have seen Red Planet Frags locally for $30.00 from reefers, but they are also 1/4-1/2 inch frags, and this one is 1 1/2- 2 inches. So I guess its all in the size you want to start with. If you do the math it's all the same! Smaller frag lesser price, but the same equivalent. Now the decision is up to me...but I appreciate the feedback!

I paid $79.95 for mine from the LFS. That is the price they charge for all of their ora's. The only time I got them cheaper was when I bought three at once. If I remember correctly they knocked it down to $70.

So Red Planet is a fast grower! What lighting, and flow do you have it in? I guess I'll be picking this up over the weekend. It is browned out at the LFS. I hope it colors back up nicely.

Back