Order of adding organisms when setting up a new macro tank

smootie

I am getting ready to set up a 75 gallon macro and softie tank (with a few fish for movement). Does it matter what order I add things? For example, should I add the fish first to make the tank sufficiently "dirty" before adding plants? Would landscaping after adding the fish stress them out too much? Am I overthinking this?

Also, how does everyone attach macros? In the past I've tried clear rubber bands (with mixed results--some macros eventually attached and some didn't) and gel superglue (the point of attachment tended to rot and the macro floated away). Any tips would be appreciated!

It wouldn't hurt to add the fish first, but it shouldn't matter too much. Dosing nitrate in the form of Spectracide Stump Remover (Home Depot), which is potassium nitrate, has been my secret to success in my planted seahorse tank, which has only 2 seahorses. I use this calculator to dose: http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

I've aquascaped plenty of times with fish in the tank. Yours should be fine.

For attaching macros, I usually rubberband them to pieces of rubble or use superglue. It works...sometimes. Some macros just naturally don't attach, like Gracilaria genus.

Welcome to the macro section, smootie!

Add sand and rock first and cycle the tank. During the cycling process, leave the lights off. This helps you avoid problem algae both sooner and later. Once cycled, add some fish and macros. Gradually add more later.

I've had no luck with any attachment method except the rock-on-top-of-the-plant method.

Good luck with your new tank build!

It wouldn't hurt to add the fish first, but it shouldn't matter too much. Dosing nitrate in the form of Spectracide Stump Remover (Home Depot), which is potassium nitrate, has been my secret to success in my planted seahorse tank, which has only 2 seahorses. I use this calculator to dose: http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

I've aquascaped plenty of times with fish in the tank. Yours should be fine.

For attaching macros, I usually rubberband them to pieces of rubble or use superglue. It works...sometimes. Some macros just naturally don't attach, like Gracilaria genus.

Thanks so much for the link to the calculator! That's very helpful!

Welcome to the macro section, smootie!

Add sand and rock first and cycle the tank. During the cycling process, leave the lights off. This helps you avoid problem algae both sooner and later. Once cycled, add some fish and macros. Gradually add more later.

I've had no luck with any attachment method except the rock-on-top-of-the-plant method.

Good luck with your new tank build!

Thanks for the tip about leaving the lights off!

Do you have a recommended way to to cycle? Raw shrimp? Pinches of fish food? Straight up ammonia?

Straight up ammonia. Google it for easy formula.

The lights off while cycling thing is new to me. I've just recently learned it from another guy here on RC. I just posted a link to it in my thread, "Weeds", if you want to learn the specifics. Avoiding the algae phase is very appealing!

Back