OSC and SET Command for dummies Like me

Mark Bianco

Not to take away anything from Alan, but I wrote a dumbed down version explaining the OSC and the SET commands.

• Apex OSC and SET Commands for Dummies Like Me.

First off I am not employed by Neptune Systems and this post is not sanctioned by Neptune or anyone that works for them. Second in no way am I not suggesting thoroughly reading The Comprehensive Reference Manual authored by Alan Jones. It is a well written document and Alan and many others on the forum has helped me out tremendously. I am just another reefer who speaks and understands at a different level, and will explain in a fashion that I hope will help others like me.

OSC Command.

Simply stated this is an intermittent timer command somewhat like the windshield wipers in your car. Generally used for dosing pumps or when using controllable powerheads. You can use this command on any powerhead although rapid cycling of pumps not designed for this probably will result in premature failure of the powerhead. Two rules to remember about the OSC is you can not exceed 24 hours total and the max time input for any one timer section is 999:59

Lets take a look at the components of the OSC command;
OSC MMM:SS/MMM:SS/ MMM:SS Then ON

The first section MMM:SS is the initial time off command in minutes and seconds.
The second section MMM:SS is the time the pump will run in minutes and seconds.
The third section MMM:SS is the second time off again in minutes and seconds.

So you have a dosing pump its a 1.1ml per minute pump and you want it to dose 11ml ever hour, or a total of 264ml per day. If we divide 11ml by 1.1ml per minute it equates to 10 minutes of run time per hour the dosing pumps needs to run.

OSC 000:00/010:00/050:00 Then ON

If you look at the above code the pump is off for 0 minutes and 0 seconds, then its on for 10 minutes and 0 seconds, then it turns off for 50 minutes and 0 seconds. At this point it will repeat the command again.

But wait now you say you only want to run the pump from midnight to 600am with the same 264ml dosage. Ok now we will add the a time statement. It is important to note the Apex processes commands from the top down and the last true statement wins so it is important as to placement of the codes. We know we want 264 ml per day and we know we want to only dose for 6 hours. Divide the 264 by 6 hours that's equals 44ml per hour you want that to run now divide that by 1.1ml per minute and you will need to run the pump for 40 minutes.

OSC 000:00/040:00/020:00 Then ON
If Time 06:00 To 00:00 Then OFF

In this statement the pump will run for 40 minutes ever hour, but since the time command is below the OSC statement and it is the last true code it will keep off the OSC statement during the times you want it off. You will dose at midnight, 1:00 am, 2:00am all the way until 5:00am giving you 6 doses.

Although I think it important to understand the principals of the OSC command. If you are not good with math or still having issues understanding the times needed to input Russ M has a software calculator / spread sheet that will configure the times for you.

Set Command.

Probably the best way I can describe this is, what action will the Apex take if no other commands are true. I think the best way is to give you a few examples of the Set command and explain how it will effect the Apex.

You have a RODI container and a solenoid valve and float switches. You want the valve to open when the water level is below the bottom float (Switch1) and stop when it reaches the top float (Switch2). You program will look something like this.

If Switch1 ON Then ON
If Switch2 OFF Then OFF

As you notice there is no Set command as you want the water to rise up to the top switch before it shuts off, basically you just made a latching relay.

Now we will write code for an ATO with one float switch in the sump or tank.

Set OFF
If Switch1 ON Then ON

As the water level lowers Switch1 becomes true and turns on the ATO pump then once it rises the Switch statement is no longer true and the Set OFF command will turn the outlet back off.

You want a device to run 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Set ON

You have a particular lighting or pump profile that you want to run all the time with a Variable Speed port. Lets call it Sun.

Set Sun

As stated earlier this post is not to take away anything from the masters its sole purpose is to help others like me. Who is not technically versed as others...

The legal stuff. I am no way responsible for any mishaps of the code you use or using any of the information above. So if something goes wrong and your wife wants to shoot me. Please do not send me a picture of the gun. The best advise I can give anyone while programming is To test it before you trust it.
Mark Bianco

Last edited:
I am having a problem. I want my dosing pump on for 5 seconds. What did I do wrong??

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/000:05/059:55 Then ON
If Time 18:07 to 18:06 Then OFF

Back