OsiViper's Nuvo Fusion 20 Build

OsiViper

Well, about 2 months ago I started my Nuvo Fusion 40 build and I'm doing a Mixed LPS/SPS tank. And I decided I either wanted a bigger one, or another tank.. And a larger tank is much more expensive and takes up a lot more room, I decided to get another small one.

I initially settled on the Nuvo Fusion 10, But wouldn't be able to get one of them for a while, so I decided to upgrade to the Nuvo Fusion 20. Planning on Running this as a Softie/LPS tank. I also plan on putting a Rock Flower Anemone in this tank eventually. Haven't decided on fish yet though.

Equipment List:
Tank: Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20
Lights: 2x AquaIllumination Prime Lights & Mounts
Flow: Jebao RW-4 Powerhead
Return: 2x Eheim Compact 600 & 2x SpinStream Nozzles
Heater Eheim Jager 100W
Skimmer: Nothing now, may get ghost eventually.
ATO: Tunze 3152 Nano
Controller: None now - Full Apex before Livestock additions.
Stand:2x2 Cube Stand from Wal-Mart
Rock & Sand: 10 LBS Reef Saver Rock & 10 LBS Special Grade Arag-Alive. Also 1 live rock from main tank
Misc: InTank Media Baskets

Just filled it last night on 5/23/15 and added some ammonia to start the cycle. I'm hoping for a quicker one since I used a seeded sponge and some live rock from main tank.

P.S. Sorry for the blurry cellphone pic, my cellphone and reef tank lights don't play well together.

Attachments

• 20150524_132942.jpg
    20150524_132942.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You might want to go Apex Jr and save some money. Only thing is, limited to 4 modules. But wouldn't need modules for lights and circulation.

Yea, trust me, I debated the JR. But decided to go with full, because if I ever decide to break this tank down and upgrade tank size in the future, I will be happy I got full instead of JR.

Yea, trust me, I debated the JR. But decided to go with full, because if I ever decide to break this tank down and upgrade tank size in the future, I will be happy I got full instead of JR.

I was in the same situation with my Biocube and now that I upgraded I'm so glad I sent with the full apex.

Well, tanks already cycling. I got pure ammonia to start the cycle.

I also added a bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only. I am only adding the One and Only this time, because I had tried it about 2 years ago and it didn't work, so I left a negative review. They offered to send me a free bottle to try out again if I ever started a brand new tank.

While the Dr. Tim's didn't "instantly" cycle my tank, it did help. I started out at about 1.4ppm of ammonia and within 24 hours it brought it down to about 0.6. And Nitrite is readable along with about 7ppm of Nitrate. It definitely gave it a jump start. Still gonna watch and add ammonia over a while, and when I can get it to drop from about 1ppm to 0 in about 24 hours it'll be time.

My jury is still out on the Dr. Tim's though. Cause it seemed to help jump-start it this time, however the last 2 bottles I used a while back did absolutely nothing.

Cycle is Coming along.. Ammonia is gone and drops completely almost overnight. Nitrite is still up there and not dropping as fast. And Nitrates have spiked big time.

But when Nitrites get down there I'll do a couple big water changes and get ready to add CUC and fish from QT.

Slightly cleaner pic.. Apex should be in Friday

Attachments

• AgUydBlQ-M7m9VdHOhCeKLo0fp9r3SS5BP-0gkWEe8s.jpg
    AgUydBlQ-M7m9VdHOhCeKLo0fp9r3SS5BP-0gkWEe8s.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
Cycle is fully complete. Dose 2ppm of ammonia and about 12 hours later it is 0. I have to keep dosing it daily though to keep bacteria alive until I get fish

It is in center chamber all the way to the bottom. I keep water level even with the baffles in the back and it JUST about covers the thing fully.

I got mine in reactor chamber. It is just a little below the minimum waterline. When I try to install horizontally in the return chamber it made a lot of noise because of return pump vibration. Should have go with neotherm. I was trying to be cheap.

I debated neotherm, but after seeing the horror stories of failed heaters, fires, crashed tanks, etc.. I decided to go with the reliable Jagers.

It is working well with waterline a little below minimum line. The material seems really good and "made in germany" text on heater give me a peace of mind. I might need to calibrate because it makes 5 degree difference. I set it at 81 and the water temp show 76 after 6 hours. Will wait for one day before calibrating just to be sure it is off.

Yea, that's the problem with the Jagers is their temperature control is very finicky. I just the Apex to turn the heater on and off as needed.

Well. Few new additions

Got the Cadlights PLS 50 Elite Skimmer and modified it to fit. No bioload other than dosed ammonia, but it seems to hold the adjustment pretty well.
6be10701932696acd36bd11d5506058c.jpg

Also got a custom green acrylic ato and hooked up Tunze Nano ATO. And the Apex Is wired in and running!
a003075d8c53cbdf29034549b0dcc6ec.jpg

Tank has been completely cycled for over a week now. Just waiting on money to get some fish and coral In there. I keep dosing ammonia daily to keep bacteria alive.

I have noticed a huge pod growth in the tank with nutrients and nothing to eat them. During the day the glass is COVERED in them.

Love the cadlights skimmer on my nuvo 20 as well. super effective at pulling out crud once it breaks in.

Yours looks like it's sitting pretty low, though. It's most effective when the bottom of the pump is just about 5.5-6" below water line. I put in a bunch of bundled eggcrate to raise it up to the optimal height. Results in more optimal air/water contact time. But it looks a bit more obtrusive though.

Back