OT: activity suggestions in Honolulu

Hanauma Bay and Turtle Bay for snorkeling.
Lanikai Beach for gorgeous views and good tanning.
Diamond Head Crater for hiking.
Dolan Pineapple Farm just for fun.
Waikiki Aquarium
Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck

If you got time, check out Coral Fish Hawaii, it's a local fish store there in Aiea (nearby Pearl Ridge)...If I recall - they don't ship out to individuals, but if you bought something, you could ship it out yourself. Last time I went I saw a lot of nice fish in stock, cheaper prices compared to back home, too...

Hanuma bay like everybody has said. Just make sure you get there early as the parking lot is small and once it gets filled up you'll be waiting in a long line to park. I believe I got there at 6 am and waited for the sun to come up.

Definitely need to take your daughter to the dole plantation and the Pacific cultural center. There is also a swap meet two days a week.

Get your souvenirs at Walmart or the swap meet to save money

Thanks guys, I really appreciate everyone for taking your time to respond in the thread. Especially Mike’s detailed itineraries.

I asked my wife to make list based on everyone’s input.

We got here late in the afternoon, went straight to eat dinner with luau show, and back now in the hotel.

I apologize if I can’t respond to individual post at the moment. I’m a little buzzed right now. LOL

My buddy is a local on Oahu and he always give me the low down on places to eat each time I visit. Here's his latest (about 2 years old) recommendations for food and things to do. It's very detailed. lol..

Restaurants
Alan WongsHonoluluThe best fine dining restaurant I've been to. I go every year! Try the 5 course tasting menu.

RoysMultipleExcellent. Miso butterfish is their signature. I like Hawaii Kai location.

Side Street Inn2 in Waikiki areaOriginal location by ala moana mall; new location very nice on Kapahulu in Waikiki. Awesome pork chops, sizzling boneless kalbi, kim chee fried rice, nalo green salad, clams, etc. Family style-big portions. Go in a group.

Ono Hawaiian Waikiki areaOn Kapahulu. The best Hawaiian food. Try lau lau, kalua pig, stew, haupia.

Helena's Hawaiian HonoluluVery good. Try the pipikaula, lau lau, kalua pig.

The Pig and the LadyHonoluluModern Vietnamese. Rave reviews "“ in all the magazines. On top of my list to go next.

Lucky BellyHonoluluModern Ramen. Rave reviews also. Going there for sure next year!!

Mission Social Hall"¦HonoluluLunch only. Tues-Sat. New restaurant by popular chef. Old plantation style food.

Shimazu's Shave IceMultipleOriginal store is a small place on School St. or at Hawaii's Favorite Restaurants now. My favorite for the flavors. Get the Larry "“ it's huge!! Try the flavored popcorn if they have at the original place.

Waiola's Shave IceMultipleBoth near Waikiki. New one off Kapahulu. Great as well.

Rainbow Drive InWaikikiOn Kapahulu. Total dive but good food. Try teri beef, chili rice, other plate lunches.

Hawaii's FavoritesWaikikiOn Kapahulu right next to Rainbows. Have good selection of poke and a Shimazu Shave Ice outlet.

Goma TeiMultipleVery good ramen. Ala Moana mall.

Kaka'ako KictchenWard CenterVery good plate lunches, wraps, salads. Kinda organic, healthy.

Eggs and ThingsMultipleVery good breakfast. Go early. New one in Ala moana mall.

Big City DinerMu;tipleGood Kim chee fried rice. Good "˜regular food'.

Boots and KimosKailuaCrowded. Awesome macadamia pancakes. Worth the drive and wait.

Teds BakeryNorth ShoreAt mile 9 marker. Get the chocolate haupia pie. Plate lunches good too.

Matsumotos Shave IceHale'iwaTourist hot spot. Good shave ice. Yuzu flavor is the best-refreshing!

Hale'iwa JoesHale'iwaGood pupus (appetizers). Calamari and burger was good.

Giovanni's Shrimp TruckKahuku"˜Original' shrimp truck. Crowded at lunch. Good. Try the hot dog!

Romy's Shrimp TruckKahukuSupposedly the best of the shrimp trucks. Haven't tried yet. Let me know!

Seven Brothers BurgersLaieGood burgers. Only decent restaurant on this part of Oahu.

Hukilau CafeLaieTotal dive restaurant. Good for cheap breakfast. Try hukilau burger for lunch. Closes at 2pm.

Hapa GrillKapoleiGood beef teri noodles, local food.

Highway InnMultiplePipikaula is good

Thai LaoKapoleiBest Thai restaurant on Oahu. Try the beef salad, Pad thai, curries, spring rolls

En FuegoKapoleiGarlic chicken was great, teri salmon and green salad was good

TaniokasWaipahuGreat selection of poke. Great tasting. Chicken wings were good too. Only take-out.

Aiea BowlAieaThe most awesome oxtail soup ever! The tasty chicken and crunch cake is a must also.

Shiros SaiminPearl CityLots of different Saimin.

Paalaa Kai Mini MartWaialuaFried chicken, bento plates (take out lunch) is great.

Paalaa Kai BakeryWaialuaSnow Puffys! Next door to mini mart.

ActivityLoacationComments
Arizona MemorialPearl HarborFree. Don't buy tourist trap tickets. Go early. USS Missouri and the submarine tour also good.

Hanauma BayPast WaikikiSnorkeling snorkeling snorkeling. Go early or no parking. Crowed. Total tourist hot spot. Guaranteed to see lots of fish. Closed Tuesdays.

Iolani PalaceHonoluluOnly palace in the USA. Interesting if you're into history.

Bishop MuseumHonoluluGreat place to learn about the history of Hawaii and artifacts. May have concerts in evening.

Honolulu ZooWaikikiI'd only go if they had evening concerts. Usually free or donation.

Ala Moana MallWaikikiLargest outdoor mall in USA. Under construction. Parking is bad for now. Take the pink trolley if staying in Waikiki. Ask concierge for schedule. Cheap way to tour Waikiki.

Diamond HeadNear WaikikiHike up the famous landmark. Like climbing stairs forever. Beautiful scene at the top.

Koko HeadHawaii KaiModerately difficult hike to the top on old railroad ties.

Waimea FallsNorth ShoreBotanical garden with a waterfall. Not sure of fee. Last I heard was around $5.

Dole PlantationWahiawaPineapples. Don't waste time eating here. More for kids. Giant maze to walk thru and a train.

Blow HoleNear SandysTourist attraction. Quick stop on way to Sandy beach. Past
Hanauma Bay.

Lanikai BeachKailuaMost beautiful beach on Oahu.

Laniakea BeachNear HaleiwaAlso called first opening or turtle beach. Small opening to the beach where turtles lay and swim.

Waimea FallsNorth ShoreBotanical garden with a waterfall. Not sure of fee. Last I heard was around $5.

Aloha Stadium Swap MeetAieaHuge swap meet on Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays. May close early on Saturday if football game.

Polynesian Cultural CenterLaiePopular tourist attraction. Learn about different

Polynesian societies. Has a luau and a show. Show is good. Luau just ok. Opens at noon but an all day affair if doing luau and show.

Some sample itineraries:

Pearl Harbor Tour
Go on a Wednesday "“ early
Tour the Arizona Memorial in morning
Then go to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet
Then go eat at Aiea Bowl
Go back to hotel and rest!
Have a nice dinner.

Windward Tour
Stop at Pali Lookout off Pali Hwy ($3/car) for a great view
Eat breakfast/brunch at Boots and Kimos
Go to the beach "“ Kailua or Lanikai (kayak at Kailua for an adventure)
Stop at Island Snow Shave Ice (Obama's favorite)-one by the beach
Grab a slice of pizza at the Boston Pizza place next door (great)
Have a nice dinner.

North Shore Tour
Any weekday "“ stay away on weekends
Optional to stop at Dole Plantation (free) on the way
Stop in Waialua town, go to Paalaa Kai bakery and mini mart and pick up a snow puffy snack and a bento lunch for the beach (take a small cooler)
Stop in Haleiwa town and check out the small surf shops (Quicksilver, HIC, He>I), get a shave ice at Matsumotos
Optional to stop at Laniakea Beach to see turtles
Snorkel at Sharks Cove or enjoy one of the famous north shore beaches or walk around Waimea Falls (may be able to swim there too)
Go up a little further for shrimp at one of the trucks (close at 6:00 I think). There's also a zipline in Kahuku if interested.
Pick up a slice of pie on the way home at Teds bakery for a late nite snack.
Geesh....I'm from Hawaii and I didn't know half of that! Lol. Of course I moved to Los Angeles over 20 years ago....

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Hawaii volcano eruption

Hawaii volcano eruption

I am not trying to spoil the fun. But, plan the trip around the Hawaii Kilauea eruption that threatens Big island would be wise.

So I went to Hanauma Bay like everyone is recommending, and all I can say is WOW! Picture don’t do it justice, looks mesmerizing in person.

I also did snorkeling here, but pics and videos are still in my GoPro. I barely have time to check my phone. So many things to do here, not enough time.

I had to view your pic in full resolution and zoom in to see the people in the beach.
I remember the water is very rocky, not for walking barefoot into the water.

I'd also recommend just driving around the island. Probably second to Hanauma Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back