OT: activity suggestions in Honolulu

sil40sx

Hi all! My daughters 7th birthday is this week, and she wants to go to Hawaii, so we are going tomorrow. Problem is, I'm not an outgoing person or adventurer per say. Are there specific places that you guys can recommend that a 7 year old can enjoy? We're going to stay there for a week, so we have enough time to go to multiple places.

On a side note, where would be the best place to go snorkeling on that island? (Of course I need to have fun too. LOL)

Thanks
Jasper

Assuming you are going to Honolulu .... you must go to Hanauma Bay to snorkel in a peaceful cove. The Dole Pineapple Plantation is surprisingly a lot of fun... they have a maze and some great treats. Of course a Luau.... The big one, sorry I cant remember the name. I've been to Hawaii many times but have never seen much of a nightlife... Kinda one of those places where you have to bring your own sand to the beach. All of the normal water sports, Dukes, shopping, there is a zoo towards the end of Waikiki. Check to see if they are having any festivals for kids... you wont run out of things to do....Have fun.

So I do this all the time when I snorkel. Go to a local market and buy a piece of raw fish, like the tail section of a mackerel. Then take it in the water w you while snorkeling. You’ll soon have all the fish in the area swimming near you trying to eat your fish!

Last edited:
Hanauma bay is definitely a cool place to snorkel, not many corals but tons of fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you are going to Honolulu .... you must go to Hanauma Bay to snorkel in a peaceful cove. The Dole Pineapple Plantation is surprisingly a lot of fun... they have a maze and some great treats. Of course a Luau.... The big one, sorry I cant remember the name. I've been to Hawaii many times but have never seen much of a nightlife... Kinda one of those places where you have to bring your own sand to the beach. All of the normal water sports, Dukes, shopping, there is a zoo towards the end of Waikiki. Check to see if they are having any festivals for kids... you wont run out of things to do....Have fun.

So I do this all the time when I snorkel. Go to a local market and buy a piece of raw fish, like the tail section of a mackerel. Then take it in the water w you while snorkeling. You’ll soon have all the fish in the area swimming near you trying to eat your fish!

Snorkel with giant sea turtles

Thank you all for the inputs! I will check out all your suggestions, and take note on the tips...

Keep em coming, I'll try to respond after packing, then will update along the way.

Last edited:
go to the aquarium its small but you might get a chance to see the peppermint angel. hike up diamond head. eat masubi. try the coffee. steal mangroves from the beaches they should let you bring them back without a problem.

Last edited:
+1 Hanauma Bay. I'd recommend a different island though. Honolulu reminds me too much of LA.

go to the aquarium its small but you might get a chance to see the peppermint angel. hike up diamond head. eat masubi. try the coffee. steal mangroves from the beaches they should let you bring them back without a problem.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

+1 Hanauma Bay. I'd recommend a different island though. Honolulu reminds me too much of LA.

Which island is good, the one that I (we) can go back within a day?

Jasper, What about your tank ? lol. Who's gonna take care of it ? lol

It's perfect timing, my corals looks like cr@p right now, I dont want looking at it. LOL They gotten pale after 3 days blackout. Trying to get rid of algae.

Foods, supplements, and top off are all set. My brother will take care of it.

IMG_6114.jpg

i really enjoyed kauai. So far it's my favorite. tons of hikes and adventures.
I didn't really like the big island
Oahu is always good. But to me, it's ok.

I'm headed to Maui this October.

I would also try lanikai beach on the windward side. Soft sand and smaller waves.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I like maui because its not super packed, but still has a lot of activities to do like zip lining, snorkeling tours, waterfall hikes, luaus, etc etc. and its not so remote that you have to drive super far to get to places. Costco, Walmart, Target, and all the big shops are all within 20 miles from any point of the island

Hike Diamond Head, check out Pipeline (and Waimea if there are big waves) and don’t forget about Pearl Harbor. I haven’t been to it but there is an aquarium in Waikiki. The Road to Hana is popular, although I thought it was kind of boring.

My buddy is a local on Oahu and he always give me the low down on places to eat each time I visit. Here's his latest (about 2 years old) recommendations for food and things to do. It's very detailed. lol..

Restaurants
Alan Wongs Honolulu The best fine dining restaurant I’ve been to. I go every year! Try the 5 course tasting menu.

Roys Multiple Excellent. Miso butterfish is their signature. I like Hawaii Kai location.

Side Street Inn 2 in Waikiki area Original location by ala moana mall; new location very nice on Kapahulu in Waikiki. Awesome pork chops, sizzling boneless kalbi, kim chee fried rice, nalo green salad, clams, etc. Family style-big portions. Go in a group.

Ono Hawaiian Waikiki area On Kapahulu. The best Hawaiian food. Try lau lau, kalua pig, stew, haupia.

Helena’s Hawaiian Honolulu Very good. Try the pipikaula, lau lau, kalua pig.

The Pig and the Lady Honolulu Modern Vietnamese. Rave reviews – in all the magazines. On top of my list to go next.

Lucky Belly Honolulu Modern Ramen. Rave reviews also. Going there for sure next year!!

Mission Social Hall… Honolulu Lunch only. Tues-Sat. New restaurant by popular chef. Old plantation style food.

Shimazu’s Shave Ice Multiple Original store is a small place on School St. or at Hawaii’s Favorite Restaurants now. My favorite for the flavors. Get the Larry – it’s huge!! Try the flavored popcorn if they have at the original place.

Waiola’s Shave Ice Multiple Both near Waikiki. New one off Kapahulu. Great as well.

Rainbow Drive In Waikiki On Kapahulu. Total dive but good food. Try teri beef, chili rice, other plate lunches.

Hawaii’s Favorites Waikiki On Kapahulu right next to Rainbows. Have good selection of poke and a Shimazu Shave Ice outlet.

Goma Tei Multiple Very good ramen. Ala Moana mall.

Kaka’ako Kictchen Ward Center Very good plate lunches, wraps, salads. Kinda organic, healthy.

Eggs and Things Multiple Very good breakfast. Go early. New one in Ala moana mall.

Big City Diner Mu;tiple Good Kim chee fried rice. Good ‘regular food’.

Boots and Kimos Kailua Crowded. Awesome macadamia pancakes. Worth the drive and wait.

Teds Bakery North Shore At mile 9 marker. Get the chocolate haupia pie. Plate lunches good too.

Matsumotos Shave Ice Hale’iwa Tourist hot spot. Good shave ice. Yuzu flavor is the best-refreshing!

Hale’iwa Joes Hale’iwa Good pupus (appetizers). Calamari and burger was good.

Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck Kahuku ‘Original’ shrimp truck. Crowded at lunch. Good. Try the hot dog!

Romy’s Shrimp Truck Kahuku Supposedly the best of the shrimp trucks. Haven’t tried yet. Let me know!

Seven Brothers Burgers Laie Good burgers. Only decent restaurant on this part of Oahu.

Hukilau Cafe Laie Total dive restaurant. Good for cheap breakfast. Try hukilau burger for lunch. Closes at 2pm.

Hapa Grill Kapolei Good beef teri noodles, local food.

Highway Inn Multiple Pipikaula is good

Thai Lao Kapolei Best Thai restaurant on Oahu. Try the beef salad, Pad thai, curries, spring rolls

En Fuego Kapolei Garlic chicken was great, teri salmon and green salad was good

Taniokas Waipahu Great selection of poke. Great tasting. Chicken wings were good too. Only take-out.

Aiea Bowl Aiea The most awesome oxtail soup ever! The tasty chicken and crunch cake is a must also.

Shiros Saimin Pearl City Lots of different Saimin.

Paalaa Kai Mini Mart Waialua Fried chicken, bento plates (take out lunch) is great.

Paalaa Kai Bakery Waialua Snow Puffys! Next door to mini mart.

Activity Loacation Comments
Arizona Memorial Pearl Harbor Free. Don’t buy tourist trap tickets. Go early. USS Missouri and the submarine tour also good.

Hanauma Bay Past Waikiki Snorkeling snorkeling snorkeling. Go early or no parking. Crowed. Total tourist hot spot. Guaranteed to see lots of fish. Closed Tuesdays.

Iolani Palace Honolulu Only palace in the USA. Interesting if you’re into history.

Bishop Museum Honolulu Great place to learn about the history of Hawaii and artifacts. May have concerts in evening.

Honolulu Zoo Waikiki I’d only go if they had evening concerts. Usually free or donation.

Ala Moana Mall Waikiki Largest outdoor mall in USA. Under construction. Parking is bad for now. Take the pink trolley if staying in Waikiki. Ask concierge for schedule. Cheap way to tour Waikiki.

Diamond Head Near Waikiki Hike up the famous landmark. Like climbing stairs forever. Beautiful scene at the top.

Koko Head Hawaii Kai Moderately difficult hike to the top on old railroad ties.

Waimea Falls North Shore Botanical garden with a waterfall. Not sure of fee. Last I heard was around $5.

Dole Plantation Wahiawa Pineapples. Don’t waste time eating here. More for kids. Giant maze to walk thru and a train.

Blow Hole Near Sandys Tourist attraction. Quick stop on way to Sandy beach. Past
Hanauma Bay.

Lanikai Beach Kailua Most beautiful beach on Oahu.

Laniakea Beach Near Haleiwa Also called first opening or turtle beach. Small opening to the beach where turtles lay and swim.

Waimea Falls North Shore Botanical garden with a waterfall. Not sure of fee. Last I heard was around $5.

Aloha Stadium Swap Meet Aiea Huge swap meet on Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays. May close early on Saturday if football game.

Polynesian Cultural Center Laie Popular tourist attraction. Learn about different

Polynesian societies. Has a luau and a show. Show is good. Luau just ok. Opens at noon but an all day affair if doing luau and show.

Some sample itineraries:

Pearl Harbor Tour
Go on a Wednesday – early
Tour the Arizona Memorial in morning
Then go to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet
Then go eat at Aiea Bowl
Go back to hotel and rest!
Have a nice dinner.

Windward Tour
Stop at Pali Lookout off Pali Hwy ($3/car) for a great view
Eat breakfast/brunch at Boots and Kimos
Go to the beach – Kailua or Lanikai (kayak at Kailua for an adventure)
Stop at Island Snow Shave Ice (Obama’s favorite)-one by the beach
Grab a slice of pizza at the Boston Pizza place next door (great)
Have a nice dinner.

North Shore Tour
Any weekday – stay away on weekends
Optional to stop at Dole Plantation (free) on the way
Stop in Waialua town, go to Paalaa Kai bakery and mini mart and pick up a snow puffy snack and a bento lunch for the beach (take a small cooler)
Stop in Haleiwa town and check out the small surf shops (Quicksilver, HIC, He>I), get a shave ice at Matsumotos
Optional to stop at Laniakea Beach to see turtles
Snorkel at Sharks Cove or enjoy one of the famous north shore beaches or walk around Waimea Falls (may be able to swim there too)
Go up a little further for shrimp at one of the trucks (close at 6:00 I think). There’s also a zipline in Kahuku if interested.
Pick up a slice of pie on the way home at Teds bakery for a late nite snack.

This thread is AWESOME! WOW taking your daughter to HI for the day. Geez way to make the rest of us look bad. Enjoy. I've been to HI many times, but only Oahu once. We went to the Waikiki aquarium and enjoyed the sand and sun for the day. Also visited Pearl Harbor.

Back