OT: best martial arts for kids

I also started out in Kenpo" Ed Parker" but my boyfriend introduced me to Jujitsu Sanyces Ryu.its really life saving skills.In the end all you want to do is get home and be with your family.Urbans School of Self Defense in Long beach.Worth the drive.My son loves it and he is 10.My boyfriend is a black belt.Im only a white belt but still have the basic skills to take him down while making him scream like a "girl" while hes going down. LOL.Im 5'4 120lbs and he is 6'4 270lbs

Shout out to Bruce Lee.I loved Chinese Theatre on Saturday mornings when I was a little girl.Shout out to my mom who watched it with me.Shout out to John Woo.Long Beach Internationals.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12871484#post12871484 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gea0119
"I studied under Bruce Lee.He was on the 2nd floor and I was on the first"
Dragon Fly Jones

I studied next to Jimmy H. Woo (Kung Fu San Soo). He gave the lesson, I mostly watched.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12871645#post12871645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agsansoo
I studied next to Jimmy H. Woo (Kung Fu San Soo). He gave the lesson, I mostly watched.

I studied with one of Jimmy’s students (35yrs ago) he had place in ELA never had to use it but nice to know, still remember the basics though

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12869129#post12869129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by glaudds
Kung Fu Panda!:D

thats what i was going to say...

Judo. As all traditional Japanese arts it is very disciplined (if you go to the right sensei) and great for boys and girls. Girls have no real disadvantage in class because of the way Judo works. Check it out. There is a reason Tokyo police are trained in it and not how to break boards.

IMHO Kendo/Kenjutso or Brazilian Kick Boxing. Both are very intense and require thinking on your part and lots of discipline.

IMHO Kendo / Kenjutso leads in the discipline factor. Other really good one's to look into are Taijutsu and Aikido, Aikido is a new Martial art, with Japanese roots.

But anything martial arts that directly related to the Japanese (Kendo, Kenjutso, Taijutsu, Akido) will have PLENTY of discipline, usually including cleaning the dojo / getting plenty of "tough love" (When you mess up) and in Kendo / Kenjutso, getting hit kinda hard with bambo rods, to strengthen your body (Not all Dojo's do this).

The martial arts I listen are NOT for the faint of heart, they are very intense. Oh, and Akido is REALLY cool, it's all about using your opponents energy against them.

Check out this video, Featuring Steven Seagal (Not a movie, a Martial Arts expo)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IVm2ld4f08I

Look for Wushu,
Its teaches Discipline, Mind and Body training. There are lots of kids I know who learns this. Then after that if your kids want more action go to an MMA school.

Started my daughter when she was 5 1/2. Shotokan Karate. She had to prove she had enough discipline and the ability to stay focused in class before Sensei would allow her to join. She loves it!

It would be a waste of money and your time if she doesn't like it or if she won't pay attention.

Find a class that will let your daughter try it out a couple of times for free and make sure that there are some kids her age so she'll feel comfortable.

Just my .02.

Why do you want your daughter to learn, btw? Something to do? Discipline? Self defense? If you just want self defense, long term schooling is rather excessive. And to some extent useless. A lot of what you learn is in "order" and often used against someone in a sparring situation against somebody equal in skill as you. Self defense needs to be very well rounded and cover ways to counter most common attacks one may come up against. So if you want her to learn self defense but take something that will keep her disciplined and busy, gymnastics is great for a 5 year old girl. When she reaches a point where you don't think violent, but important, things will make her manly, find a good martial arts instructor (anything will do, really...as long as it doesn't involve using magic to break breaks through walls....) and ask him/her to teach your daughter self defense. That's what I think, anyways.

Just to add. My daughter's self confidence has grown tremendously in the 2 years of learning karate. She likes seeing newer students who are older than her pay their respects to her as she has done to the senior students. She has gotten stronger and alot more coordinated from learning her katas and all the push ups and it really shows when she plays other sports especially when they include contact.

There are many benefits not just self defense when learning martial arts. Will she be able to kick an adults a$$, I doubt it, but she knows that she should run first, fight back if touched, and get attention by yelling and screaming. These are taught as self defense.

man with all these people in here we can start out own mma school. lol

well anyways, i was just thinking it would keep her busy for the summer instead of watching tv all day or playing video games.

im thinking gymnastics at first so i have to look for some schools in the carson area.

thanks guys

do gymnastics first...... then any martial art you wish... gymnastics will help her with her balance and such... and btw: most ninjitsu places dont teach anyone under 18

Aikido would me my choice. I worked with a 3rd degree black belt in Karate and at the age of 50 his bones were aching everymorning from all the boards and bones he was breaking. Don't think that Aikido doesn't work or looks fake, it is very powerful.

Back