OT: DirecTV or stick with Comcast

Well it took awhile this morning only because I live in an apartment complex so it took some engineering to orient the dish to pick up both the HD and local signals. I thought I could just mount it on the railing of my balcony but now I have this impenetrable frame with cinder blocks all over the place (which they charged me for). Man I didn't think that dish was so huge!

Anyway, I got the Plus HD DVR receiver and package. It'll take some getting used to the new layout (gonna have to consult the channel guide for some time). I'll have to play with it tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Yeah, I made sure to do that. At first, the picture didn't look so good but then I realized it was set to 480p. Also didn't realize you have to control the aspect ratio using the receiver and not the tv like I was doing with Comcast.

So are the W's gonna make it? I'm getting pretty stressed out about it...Nowitzki just HAD to comeback against us, didn't he???

Btw I paid a guy from best buy to come Calibrate my TV for Black and white balance, color tune, and power output. If you feel your TV you will find that it's hot mine is baby warm, the manufacturer sets the TV settings for whatever generic (bright setting) they feel, by calibrating it my colors are as good as the lower-high end tv's, my TV will last 5 years longer then the average because the tv doesn't get as hot (insert TV jargin here), it's was WELL worth the $300 bones, I'll put my 50 inch Panasonic against anyone elses. Think about calibrating yours!

You can buy or rent calibration DVD's. Look up DVE or AVIA calibration disks. There's also Spyder TV colorimeter that you hang on the front of your screen.

I have a Panasonic as well and the damn thing definitely runs hot. I just used the Star Wars DVD to calibrate using the THX calibration included on the DVD. Probably not really the right way to do it...

You guys should also check out ATT Uverse (IP TV) and see if it's available in your area. I switched from satellite and am very happy with it. I got 3 room HD, DVR, and 3mb internet for 99 a month with no contract. The only problem is you only get 1 hd stream at a time but that will be changing soon.

Delsol650 do you think your friend can help a fellow reefer out. Just ran low on funds right now with this new tank in the works.
Thanks,
Ted

I second AT&T U-verse, I have the U-verse 200 + HD, and I get a ton of channels, all are 100% digital so even the standard def. looks great, better than Dish or Comcast

I get the DSL Elite 6MB & the U-verse 200+HD for $118 with taxes

Re: OT: DirecTV or stick with Comcast

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12271142#post12271142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DurTBear
Trying to decide if I should switch to DirecTV since I'm getting very frustrated with Comcast. I just don't really like their service and my cable bill seems to be increasing all the time. Seems like DirecTV would be cheaper even though you get more HD channels. I guess the only reason that I can see for sticking with Comcast is just for ease because my internet is bundled in with my cable. But I guess I could stick with Comcast for their internet service and upgrade to DirecTV.

Does anyone have any experiences/advice with this dilemma? Thanks for any and all comments.

I "kind" of work for Comcast and boy has it gotten expensive.
Research first if you live in a place that does not allow dishes to be placed on roofs or balconies then check the contract terms for any satellite provider ATT has good deals but a contract.
Comcast CAN give you a better package deal but do not call the 800 number, grab an ad or a flyer with a "SALES" rep number on it tell him/her you are on the dish and would like to consider comcast, they work magic, I've seen people getting 3 or 4 boxes free of monthly rental fees for up to 12 months, just talk to someone outside the 800 numbers they work on commission and the more "sales" they make the better paycheck they get. It was called th "Dish Buy Back Plan"
The dish does not surpass cable because two things, a contract and attaching an antenna where is not allowed, their prices are more accessible. Either service has pros and cons.
ATT is teamed up with Dish Network I believe and most of the installations are done by contractor companies and their employees so be aware and check for proper compliance with the installation, on the comcast side there's a lot of people who have no clue about a decent installation either comcast employees or their contractor companies. I work for one and some of my co-workers I just wonder why they still have a job... no further comments

Re: Re: OT: DirecTV or stick with Comcast

Re: Re: OT: DirecTV or stick with Comcast

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12332336#post12332336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marioensf
I "kind" of work for Comcast and boy has it gotten expensive.
Research first if you live in a place that does not allow dishes to be placed on roofs or balconies then check the contract terms for any satellite provider ATT has good deals but a contract.
Comcast CAN give you a better package deal but do not call the 800 number, grab an ad or a flyer with a "SALES" rep number on it tell him/her you are on the dish and would like to consider comcast, they work magic, I've seen people getting 3 or 4 boxes free of monthly rental fees for up to 12 months, just talk to someone outside the 800 numbers they work on commission and the more "sales" they make the better paycheck they get. It was called th "Dish Buy Back Plan"
The dish does not surpass cable because two things, a contract and attaching an antenna where is not allowed, their prices are more accessible. Either service has pros and cons.
ATT is teamed up with Dish Network I believe and most of the installations are done by contractor companies and their employees so be aware and check for proper compliance with the installation, on the comcast side there's a lot of people who have no clue about a decent installation either comcast employees or their contractor companies. I work for one and some of my co-workers I just wonder why they still have a job... no further comments

yeah, COMCAST is a ripoff, after the introductory price they jackup the price... AT&T U-verse is not the Dish Network, U-Verse is IP TV, it work on Fiber Optics, and uses High Speed Networks (over 25MB/s)

I had the Dish Network deal thru AT&T and Dish Network suck big time, their customer service is horrible, if you have a problem they don't help and they are rude, I had it out with some of the monkey's at their tech support, but because I had my contract thru AT&T, I called AT&T and told them to fix the problem I had and they immediately got on the phone with Dish (AT&T does not want to loose customers like me, I have every single service they offer, 4x AT&T wireless phones(cingular), Home Local & Long distance, 6MB Elite DSL & TV) and I have been their customer since 1996 and every month my full bill is about $300+/-, so that gives you alot of leverage... :lol:

So I did away with Comcast digital cable but kept their internet. Of course the rate increased from $45 a month (with digital cable) to $62 a month. Combination of that with DirecTV is still cheaper than what I was paying with Comcast alone though...

Hi delsol650,

How did you get free HD DVR? I look at the directv site and it is $99 initial fees for HD DVR. Is there a deal not listed on the directv site? I am also fed up with comcast keep increasing my bill, and I am thinking about switching to directv. Thanks.

Back