OT: Dogs please help me

I adopted my beagle from beagle and buddies rescue and paid $750.

puppies are not going to be cheap at rescues because that is where they make all their money to support the other dogs.

Rescue centers that specialize in a certain dog will charge you a lot. if you go to a place that rescues any kind of dog (dog pound), you'll be able to save a dog for under $100.

A 6 year old dog is pretty old. It'd be nice to save him, but unless you've got some serious bank, I wouldn't do it. I'm against animal cruelty and believe you should help animals in need. But I still got to put myself before them.

The Long Beach pound kills dogs they get with in a week so tell them what your looking for and hopefully you can save one from getting killed. The last 5 dogs we have had were all rescues and great dogs. I would never buy a dog. Rescues have a lot of expenses, so don't expect a freebie. A rescue can tell you alot about the dog your getting as most are kept in there home so they know what the dog is like, good and bad. Rescue dogs are so appreciative, I swear they know you saved them.

We've gotten all our dogs from the pound. As Laverda said, they appear to know you saved them. Our pound puts them to sleep in 7 days too. I think all the LA County pounds have that policy.

Just go to the LA County pound nearest you and look at the dogs. Usually one will just be "the one". It may not be what you planned on, but it's all good. Here is their link:

http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/

You can find the nearest location there, but we've found it's best to go in person to see the dog's personalities, as the photos don't do them justice and may not include all the animals available.

If you haven't adopted from them before, they have the Save Program that costs $37 for a dog and includes "..initial vaccinations, spaying and neutering, a 7-day exchange and a free veterinary medical examination at a participating veterinary office."

It's a great feeling taking home an animal that was about to be put to sleep just because no one wanted it.

Joyce

Last edited:
Without starting a huge ethical war here on RC Ill make this short and simple. Saving dogs is a great thing and I encourage it, but saving a dog just to be a hero is not always benificial to either you or the dog. If the dogs have a history unbenounced to you which causes it to not be your ideal pet, then it potentially becomes neglected under your care. Get a dog you want, if you want to rescue, make sure you know what youre getting yourself into. I rescued a dog, still have her, and she does have some issues (not good with other dogs, shutters when she hears bells, etc.) She is a sweat heart but in no way would I consider her a good family dog.
Also with the breed you are looking at, most rescues arent going to be the cuddlely, freindly, loyal pet that you may be seaking. Terriers are a very hyper and can be a very disobedient dog breed if they were raised incorrectly. If you really want a mini schnauzer, I would strongly encourage you get one as a pup and raise it correctly. Im not saying all rescues would be bad, but with terriers there is a greater chance of getting a non-family type dog with issues.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12287291#post12287291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by savethereef
Hey RoXY if you read this dont you work at a vet any idea.thanks

please do not buy puppies from a petshop its the worst thing you can do !!!!!!
I have been involved with dogs since I was seven, I know dog behavior of most breeds like the back of my hand ! I also trained dogs for ten years, all I do is breathe and talk dogs lol I would post what I believe but I don't feel like debating, If you want some info just pm me.

I rescued and bought from reputable breeders so I know the pros and cons on both.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12288815#post12288815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greencardgraphics
i will have pups in the fall.

www.fatboysbulldogges.com

AWWW we might need to set up play dates in the future lol I am also getting a bulldog but not the OEB or EB a renascence bulldog hehehe

O i forgot to say I dunno what shelters you guys are going to but los angeles county only charge 35-65 bucks for a dog or cat ..............

IMO I rather go to kill shelters those animals don't have much time to live, at rescues they will either A find a home or B just live their life in a foster home either way they are safe from danger, the dogs in the shelter only have 7 days of life ..........

but there are cons to shelters

Last edited:
thanks guys for your help ill try and find a pound here in Long Beach. Any know of one around the 90805 area? Also what are no kill facilities. And i called a few places and the places that save the dogs that charge around $300+ for the dogs and have all shots records.

If i go to a pound do they have all the shots and all or will i have to do that my self.

No kill means that they will foster the animals until they are adopted. The place that I volunteer at (LIFE animal rescue) does that. We pick up all our animals from the Agoura or Calabassas shelters. Fox LA (the TV station) does a daily show on adoptable pets. I think it is called adopt a pet. Look it up on their website, I know there are LB locations.

Usually if you go to the shelter there will be a fee that will include the shots and spay/neuter of the pet.

Rescues charge more because they take care of the animal until it gets adopted, so teh cost per animal is higher. There are many dogs and cats that we bring in that need lots of vet care (and I mean lots).

I've paid up to $350 for a dog from a rescue.

You're paying for the fact that the dog has been spayed or neutered and possibly micro-chipped and is up on his shots. Animals from rescues live good lives with a foster family until they are placed.

County shelters, (the pound) may be a cheaper route, but you may not get the healthiest or nicest dog.

For a puppy in a pet store you're going to pay retail, ($400-1500) depending on breed, etc. And store puppies are usually taken from their mommies too early and kept pumped full of antibiotics while in the store to prevent them from looking sick.

Everyone will tell you the best route is to go to a breeder, but I haven't had any luck that route, just finding a reputable breeder is hard, and then finding one that has dogs at the same time you're looking is even harder. And then on top of that the price may be just as much as in the pet store.

Cheers
Josh

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12294210#post12294210 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fmellish
I've paid up to $350 for a dog from a rescue.

You're paying for the fact that the dog has been spayed or neutered and possibly micro-chipped and is up on his shots. Animals from rescues live good lives with a foster family until they are placed.

County shelters, (the pound) may be a cheaper route, but you may not get the healthiest or nicest dog.

For a puppy in a pet store you're going to pay retail, ($400-1500) depending on breed, etc. And store puppies are usually taken from their mommies too early and kept pumped full of antibiotics while in the store to prevent them from looking sick.

Everyone will tell you the best route is to go to a breeder, but I haven't had any luck that route, just finding a reputable breeder is hard, and then finding one that has dogs at the same time you're looking is even harder. And then on top of that the price may be just as much as in the pet store.

Cheers
Josh

$65 bucks for a dog includes shots and spay and neutering and only for what 10-20 bucks extra micro chipping WOW !!!!!

finding a reputable breeder is almost as easy as going to the petshop its not really rocket science. Finding one with dogs maybe be harder but why the rush? and usually when you do find a reputable breeder 100% of the time they have breeder friends with pups or adults. Price is almost the same as petshop but petshops do not give you life time guarantees nor do they check for health problems. more than 85% of the time when I talk to REAL reputable breeder they never charge you full price all they want is to give the dog a good home. I had breeders offer me puppies for free or more than half the cost they normally sale pups for. Usually retired adults are the same price as the rescue dogs. You just need to do research and know what to say.

It is also illegal to sale puppies and kittens in the state of CA under the age of 8 weeks of age.............. 8 weeks is the right age to take puppies from the mom they are usually weaned by then.

Last edited:
I dont know if you have checked, but I got my mini pincher for free on craiglist, some dude had bought him to pick up chicks, when he never was home the lady next door rescued him, but she was midly allergic, so she posted him on CL. She was very good about making sure the dog went to a good home, she came and did 2 house visists before deciding that we were a good match for him. I love the dog to death. We named him Bentley, but I call him Stinky more often than not =)

Here is the address and phone number for the LA County pound in Long Beach:

Long Beach Animal Control
7700 E. Spring St.
Long Beach, CA 90815
(562) 570-7387

They also have locations close to you in:

* Belmont Shore
* Cerritos
* Lakewood
* Long Beach
* Los Altos
* Naples
* Signal Hill

You can find the complete addresses here:

http://animalcare.lacounty.gov/locationByCity.asp#LongBeach

You might want to just go by and take a look. As several have posted, you get shots, spaying/neutering, micro chipping and a free vet visit in your area for under $75, plus it's great to save a dog that only had one or two more days until they are put to sleep.

Joyce

Go to a rescue. Don't buy from a breeder. There are plenty of dogs out there already, no need to encourage more.

Rescues charge adoption fees because they spend a LOT of money on their dogs. My wife volunteers for a local rescue, and while some dogs come in without much issue, others get 8-10k in vet bills before they're able to go up for adoption. Even if they're nonprofit, they still have expenses.

O and if you find a person that tells you their parents breeds them in Korea Please run for you LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

no schnauzers

no schnauzers

You can find a breeder online Im sure, and you would just have to pay to have the animal shipped.
Far as the schnauzers go.... I personally cant stand em, neighbor has one, and barks constantly, is not attractive, and has funk all over his mouth (breed thing, not lack of care).

Those, along with a pit, or a chihuahua would be my last choice.

I do, however believe that you will probably get a better dog if its pure bred. The rescue thng IMO is a good cause, but this dog will be around for a long time, better to invest in exactly what you want, and not a dog that has health problems or worse yet, behavioral.

I have 3 labs, and the yellow purebred is the best one of the bunch

Back