Ot: fav places to eat--food--

Try this place for dim sum.

um...
werd.gif

ah... there it 'tis... i'll scope them out maybe this weekend...

Ok good thing I didn't go there then
At least try it before you just reject it....

this...

i still haven't gone... no one wants to go with me... what a loser i is...

sadbanana.gif

philipe's is the best... not big on portions, and the price of the sandwich is kinda little high for the size, but it really is a neat place to go.

the TIP is that the coffee is cheap... I think they raised the price to a Dime a few years back...

another 'local' spot is RICK's Drive-in in Pasadena... gotta get the Taco on a bun w/ Everything...

If in Haleiwa, HI... you gotta eat at Ku'a Ai'na burgers.... the Ortega Chile Burger is do die for... if you get lost while looking for it, just roll the window down... follow your nose...

yum!!!!

philipe's is the best... not big on portions, and the price of the sandwich is kinda little high for the size, but it really is a neat place to go.

the TIP is that the coffee is cheap... I think they raised the price to a Dime a few years back...

another 'local' spot is RICK's Drive-in in Pasadena... gotta get the Taco on a bun w/ Everything...

If in Haleiwa, HI... you gotta eat at Ku'a Ai'na burgers.... the Ortega Chile Burger is do die for... if you get lost while looking for it, just roll the window down... follow your nose...

yum!!!!
Thanks for the tip on Philippe's and what? A taco in a bun? That doesn't sound good but I'm curious as to how it tastes.... Hmm I might try it tho

didnt feel like sifting through 9 pages.. so sorry if its already been said.

but The Hat world famous pastrami!! Delicious - gotta have the beefdip too!

If you are going for pastrami, the best hands down in the LA metro area is Langer's at alvarado and 7th.

Another good sandwich shop out on this side of town in Monrovia is The Market Grill. Little hole in the wall joint that has a great menu. Home made bread/buns/dressings. They are right at the corner of Shamrock and Colorado.

Abbots Pizza Company on Abbot Kinney in Venice has some great pie. They use bagel dough for the crust instead of regular pizza dough. Makes all the difference in the world. My faves are the wild mushroom and the cheese bomb.

Phillipes is good, one of those classic LA spots to hit.

If your looking for Italian there is a place called Alessa's Cucina on PCH near the corner of PCH and Superior. Small little place but amazing food at really good prices.

Mexican - Have to go to Javier's. There are two that I know of, one on PCH near crystal cove and another at the Irvine spectrum

BBQ - Have to say Wood Ranch (I am a manager there so I am a bit biased) lol

A few pages ago people mentioned bannanas foster. Here is the easiest and best recipe for one of the most amazing desserts ever!!!

Melt about a 1/4 stick of butter in a skillet on low heat and add about 1.5 cups of brown sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Remember the low heat!!! You don't want to burn the sugar. Melt that down till you get a consistency similar to honey. It will be really thick.

Add about 3 bannanas that you have sliced into 1/2 inch sections. Simmer that for about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup butterscotch liquer and simmer another 2 minutes. Remember to keep stirring it. Then add 1/4 cup of meyers dark rum. Tilt the pan to catch it on fire. It only flames for a couple seconds. Then pour and serve over ice cream.

I make this at work for the team members all the time but unfortunetly we don't serve it on the menu. Good Eatin for sure!!!

If you are going for pastrami, the best hands down in the LA metro area is Langer's at alvarado and 7th.

Another good sandwich shop out on this side of town in Monrovia is The Market Grill. Little hole in the wall joint that has a great menu. Home made bread/buns/dressings. They are right at the corner of Shamrock and Colorado.

Abbots Pizza Company on Abbot Kinney in Venice has some great pie. They use bagel dough for the crust instead of regular pizza dough. Makes all the difference in the world. My faves are the wild mushroom and the cheese bomb.

Phillipes is good, one of those classic LA spots to hit.

The key to Phillipes is to request double dipped. Good choice above but a few more for sandwiches:

Eastside Market just north of Downtown LA. Their roast beef/salami is the huge, messy and damn good.

Bay Cities Italian Deli in Santa Monica is the westside equivalent.

Here's a list of my favorites - not in any particular order:
Roy's Hawaiian Fusion - Newport Beach (Order the Surf & Turf or Prix Fixe Meal and top it off with Chocolate Souffle)
Gyu Kaku (cook your own) - Huntington Beach (Harami Bistro Steak marinated in Miso end with the Chocolate Banana with Vanilla Ice Cream)
Phil's BBQ - San Diego (Everything is good)
Pomodoro - Laguna Beach (Spaghetti Polpette with their bread lightly toasted - gotta ask)
Matsuhisa - Beverly Hills (Omakase Meal but you need to try the New style sashimi or Miso Butterfish)
Nobu - Malibu (Omakasi Meal or the Miso Butterfish)
Fleming's - Newport Beach (Filet Mignon of course)
Houston's - Santa Monica (Gotta have the baby back ribs - FULL RACK)

I guess I like eating near the beach - go figure.

tacos san Pedro....
This place is awesome, definitely one of my favorite taco spots. First time my buddy took me here, he kept calling it Tacos St. Peters...

Phillipes is bomb too, try the lamb sandwich. Don't get a pickled hard-boiled egg though. I got talked into trying one, and I'm not usually picky about food, but it tasted horrible

Here's some I agree with:

Houston's (Century City) - not terribly expensive, I love that Houston's lacks pretense, but the waits can be killer. They bring fries for our kids when the wait is very long. Prolly my favorite family sit down. I like the Hickory Burger and their sides are almost always good.

In-n-Out - 3x3 animal style (no lettuce) once a week, Neapolitan shake and a flying dutchman (patty w. cheese) for my dog.

Here's some more:

La Super-Rica Taqueria (Santa Barbara) - hands down best authentic glorified taco stand ever. Make their own tortillas. Awesome chorizo. Order 4-6 items a la cart, grab a cup of hot sauce and a beer to wash them down with. Plenty of porch seating. We take the kids to the SB Zoo and are rewarded with La Super-Rica for dinner.

The Bowery (Hollywood) - Small bar near the Arclight that serves some great food. Not typical pub grub. Good beer selection, and friendly service. We usually eat at the Bowery before catching a movie.

Il Pastaio / Enoteca Drago (Beverly Hills) - Two neighboring Italian restaurants owned by the same family (Drago). Authentic Northern Italian dishes. Enoteca is a bit more spacious and formal, although we take our young kids. Il Pastaio is a bit of a scene for lunch, but the food is very good, and sitting outside after the rush is pretty relaxing. At Pastaio I order the housemade Garganelli (w. Brocolini and sausage), at Enoteca I order the Fusilli alla Bottarga.

Village Pizzeria (Larchmont Street, Highland Park) - Better than most west coast joints that claim they are authentic NY style pizza. I order a Meal Deal #2 w. Pepperoni. They also have a very good garlic-clam pizza that everyone should try once.

Osteria Mozza - Expensive and a bit of a scene, but the Mario Batali inspired Italian food is awesome. Had my 40th birthday dinner there and was not disappointed.

Steak Houses - I've been to Mastro's, Ruth Chris, Morton's, Craft Steak, and others and all are great. Money aside, my favorite is probably Mastros...despite the surreal elderly-nip-tuck-BH-local cruisers at the bar upstairs. Ask for a seat downstairs where it is much quieter.

I was about to recommend Il Pastaio to whoever asked for Italian. It's a really good place and the food is about as authentic as you can ge without going to italy.

A couple of favorite places to eat.

Sushi:
Sushiya in pasadena. Total hole in the wall but the food is amazing $25 all you can eat premium rolls as well as sashimi.
Midori in century city is pretty good.

Kbbq:
I really enjoy Gyu-kaku Japanese Korean fusio. Very nice atmosphere. Good place to go for a date prices are very reasonable and they ALWAYS have drink specials.

Manna all you can eat kbbq is the place to go with your boys not soo much a date. Floor is covered in grease and you will come out smelling like short ribs. The food is awesome and at 16 bux a person is a great value. Warning: what they don't charge in food they make up with the prices on SOJU and beer.4 people eat for around 60 bucks. Last time we got sauced there the bill came out to 200 for 4 of us which still isn't bad but just know ahead if you are on a budget since prices arent listed.

Steaks:
Arroyo chop house is nice. Right down the street from Houston's in pasadena. Good food but you pay for the atmosphere and service instead of the food but its still delicious.

Ruth's Chris is one of my places to go for dinner. New York strip cooked medium rare is amazing. Hearing them out sizzling so cover your girls face with a napkin you most likely will get a rogue spec of grease on you. No biggy though.

Gladstones in Malibu. Although they are know for their seafood they serves up a great steak. Great place for a date. You can sit next to the window and watch the surf since they have it all lot up. I recommend the fisherman special or something like that its called. its like a huge schooner filled with every line of seafood fried including house made chips. Basically what you would get up the street at Neptunes Net but in a nice sit down. Keep a eye out for all the pictures of malibu back in the early 1900s all over the wall. When you are done eating they wrap your food up in gold foil and make fish,turtles,ships,geese etc. Really neat for the kids.

I second the M Grill in koreatown. You'd drive right past it without knowing it . Food is really good. They even serve soju.
Tepan:

Mr Mori's in glendale is really good. Chefs put on a nice little show and make some delicious food.

Seafood:
Sushi and gladstones as mentioned above.

San Pedro seafood markets for a nice sunday next to the water. get over that hang over with a falsity de siete mares and a michelada.

Kory's in long beach All you can eat Atlantic lobster. Prime rib , ribs, banana flambe made to order as well as a pasta booth where you can pick the ingredients to you pasta and watch it cooked front of you. Big selection of sides as well. Very nice view of boats on the harbor at night.

Mariscos Df seafood truck is the spot if you like tostadas and shrimp cocktails. Super cheap as well. The truck in located on figueroa street in highland park.

Bbq:

Ribs USA on olive in burbank is the spot. Soo good amd reasonable prices. Bring a bib.

Barn burner in pasadena sucks

Lucilles Bbq is up there with ribs USA imho. Huge portions come hungry.

Gus's Bbq on fair oaks in south pas has a killer pulled pork sandwich as well as a nice bar.

Mexican:

Birreria Jalisco in east los Angeles has the best birria in LA.

Al Tacor in highland/cypress park is super cheap and open late. You can get a super burrito for 6 dollars out the door. The thing is the size of a newborn.

I'll add some more later. That way when I cant think of a place to eat I can reference this

This place is awesome, definitely one of my favorite taco spots. First time my buddy took me here, he kept calling it Tacos St. Peters...

Phillipes is bomb too, try the lamb sandwich. Don't get a pickled hard-boiled egg though. I got talked into trying one, and I'm not usually picky about food, but it tasted horrible

Haha yea my friend introduced me to Taco San Pedro, one of the best carne asadas I've ever eaten!

And as for the pickled egg, I doubt ill try that as I am not a huge fan of eggs...

+1. Eastside market is a good sandwich place only open got lunch Tells you something
The key to Phillipes is to request double dipped. Good choice above but a few more for sandwiches:

Eastside Market just north of Downtown LA. Their roast beef/salami is the huge, messy and damn good.

Bay Cities Italian Deli in Santa Monica is the westside equivalent.

Back