OT: Golf clubs

Brian Koyama

I know there are a bunch of reefers out there that golf. I needed some opinions on golf clubs. I wanted to start playing golf with my friend again and want to trade in my Mizuno Grads for some new sticks. I'm debating on the Taylor Made R7 CGB irons and the Callaway X18 Pro (both steel shafts). I like the way they both hit. Any input would be appreciated (or what irons you guys/gals are using). Then in a few months we can have a frag swap/golf weekend-polooza.

Demo, demo and then demo some more.

I tried out the r7 cgb for a round. Very nice hitting irons. Unfortunately my game was in the pits since I haven't been playing for quite a while. I prefer these over the x-18's.

I have a set of x-14's I'm no longer using since I stopped playing golf. I might sell them for the right price.

2 to sand wedge.

Good luck!

frag swap/golf weekend sounds awesome!!!

btw, choosing clubs as you know should be personal preference. don't go by brand name or other peoples' opinions. in high school, i had the option to buy my friends calloway irons but i opted for some generic clubs from sportsmart b/c i hit them a lot better. i had a pretty good season that year. hth!

I have Callaway X18 Pro Series. They are nice. Their the easiest hitting irons I have ever owned. Distance control is a little tougher but as you get used to them you figure them out. Good luck.

as mentioned, it is all a matter of personal preference and ur playing ability. the x-18 pros will allow u to work the ball more versus the r7s. r7s also have a bit more offset than the x-18 pro. if ur a slicer, the r7 might be for u.

as far as looks, i like thinner top line so i'd most likely lean towards the x-18 p. there's also the loft difference between the 2 clubs so ur personal ball flight is a factor. the x-18p has higher lofts than the r7. hth.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Keep them coming. I've tried everything from generic to the irons mentioned and those two have been the two I've been hitting consistantly (I still stink, and hit like an old man, but at least the ball goes straight), My next post will be trading frags for golf lessons...

I swing Corba II and Taylor Made. But I really like my Tommy A. 845's NICE.
Look for use stuff in the recycler lots of good use clubs out there.

I picked up a set of Titleist irons last year. I really like the traditional look and feel. I would try out some of the forged irons also. These irons have distinct sound/feel to them. These irons give me a ton of feedback and as a result have sharpened my game.

Brian, I didn't knwo you golf, hehehe.. we should go hit sometimes. Right now in my bag: Taylor Made R-7 425 Driver, R-7 Ti 3 wood, 16* 19* 22* TM Rescue Dual Hybr, 5-P TM R-7 CGB Irons Stiff Steel Shaft Irons, 52* 56* 60* Titalist Spin Mill Wedges, and TriBall Putter. I would say that the R-7 cgb irons are very easy to hit, but if you are more advanced player, its kinda hard if you want to shape your ball flight. I have also owned the X-18 before, but i didn't really like them because they are even harder to work on shots. I am getting a set of the Taylor Made RAC TP forged Irons next week and i will let you know how they play. You are more then welcome to come and borrow my irons so you can take them out for a round of golf and see if you really like the,.. you know where i am at.. so come on by the shop bro.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8136617#post8136617 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SkinyChinaMan
Brian, I didn't knwo you golf, hehehe.. we should go hit sometimes. Right now in my bag: Taylor Made R-7 425 Driver, R-7 Ti 3 wood, 16* 19* 22* TM Rescue Dual Hybr, 5-P TM R-7 CGB Irons Stiff Steel Shaft Irons, 52* 56* 60* Titalist Spin Mill Wedges, and TriBall Putter. I would say that the R-7 cgb irons are very easy to hit, but if you are more advanced player, its kinda hard if you want to shape your ball flight. I have also owned the X-18 before, but i didn't really like them because they are even harder to work on shots. I am getting a set of the Taylor Made RAC TP forged Irons next week and i will let you know how they play. You are more then welcome to come and borrow my irons so you can take them out for a round of golf and see if you really like the,.. you know where i am at.. so come on by the shop bro.

We should go hit at the new driving range around the corner from you one of these days. I'm going to try and see if I can find the RAC TP's to hit this afternoon during my long lunch hour.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8136777#post8136777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Brian Koyama
We should go hit at the new driving range around the corner from you one of these days. I'm going to try and see if I can find the RAC TP's to hit this afternoon during my long lunch hour.

Its going to be hard to find the RAC TP's as they are mostly special order from Taylor Made, I had to go through a TM pro to get them:D
The new range is so expensive, go to Industry Hills, special $3/large bucket

honestly, both sets are good clubs. just go with the one that feels the best.

i personally have mizuno mx-900's and are still feeling them out. gotta make time to hit the range.

Its going to be personal preference, but first go get a fitting. There is nothing worse than trying to play with clubs that don't fit your body or your swing.
Many golf courses have club demo days and sometimes you can get a free fitting if they are not too busy. Eagle Glen had a day last year where they had Callaway, Taylor Made, Titleist, Cleveland and a couple others. I hit free balls for about 45 min. and Cleveland gave me a free fitting. I went to Roger Dunn's the next day and bought a used set of Ping I3s that were a perfect fit.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8138297#post8138297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phender
Its going to be personal preference, but first go get a fitting. There is nothing worse than trying to play with clubs that don't fit your body or your swing.
Many golf courses have club demo days and sometimes you can get a free fitting if they are not too busy. Eagle Glen had a day last year where they had Callaway, Taylor Made, Titleist, Cleveland and a couple others. I hit free balls for about 45 min. and Cleveland gave me a free fitting. I went to Roger Dunn's the next day and bought a used set of Ping I3s that were a perfect fit.

Yeah, that makes a big difference.

Back