OT: good place to....

rob1991

vacation, my fam is going to go on a vacation this summer, and we want to rent a beach house or something, any one know oh good places to go? we want white sand and a blue ocean, and for me preferably a great place to snorkle in a reef!

Cancun is one of my favorites! Surrounded by (2) oceans, lots and lots to see and do... not to sure about a beach house though, its more like the "Los Vegas Strip" of Mexico!
(can I go too?)

Akumal near Cancun. You can probably get a beach house or condo directly on the beach. Tons of snorkling. The Hawkbill turtles nest there in the summer around July.

Cozumel is just a one day tour away from Cancun, which is well known for its snorkeling and SCUBA diving! Also, if you go be sure to take a bus ride to Chichen Itza which is about an hour drive and is home to the some of the largest and most well preserved known south-american pyrimids and temples built by Maya about 2000 years ago!
(I dont eat much and could probably fit in your carry-on luggage)
:p

Chichen Itza - ha, when i was there some of the tour guides were making fun of how "tourists" didn''t pronounce anything correctly, so they started calling the place "Chicken Pizza".

If you don't want to leave the states, both HI and the east coast of FL. The gulf states are nice for beaches but because of the continental shelf the diving/snorkeling is way off shore, so if you don't have a boat it isn't nearly as good as the east coast. On the east side of Fl there are the same species of fish and corals/inverts as the southern gulf near Cancun/Cozumel.

HI, anywhere you can see dark spots near shore are hard top reefs which can easily be reached from the beach and have corals plus a number of fish that we keep in our tanks.

These sites are if you aren't looking to go to foreign places, other wise any tropical country would have beautiful reefs and beaches to see.

yeah i am a little biased though cause everyone wants to go to hawaii, but i am going for my senior trip, so i dont want to go to the same place, i would rather go somewhere else, i really wanted to go to jamiaca, but my mom says it will be WAY

yeah i am a little biased though cause everyone wants to go to hawaii, but i am going for my senior trip, so i dont want to go to the same place, i would rather go somewhere else, i really wanted to go to jamiaca, but my mom says it will be WAY too expensive to go that far, so she is either thinking somewhere in mexico or hawaii, or idk, any other cool islands???

I like catalina, there are a couple of fish you run into in the trade, catalina gobies are common, and scyth butterflies are common there, but below 80 ft so you wouldn't see them while snorkeling.

Still. the water there is cold, so if you don't want HI because of your senior trip try the east coast of FL, I could point you to some places where you could collect your own tropicals while snorkeling. You just need a one week fishing license (or weekend license depending on your stay) and you can bring everything you collect back. You can't take any stoney corals but there are plenty of very attractive soft corals and zoo's you could bring back.

Things you would find would be 4 species of angel, maybe a 5th (sometimes you wont find rock beauties in shallow, but queen, blue, french and grey are common in shallow) lots of wrasses and 4 species of butterfly, (though 3 are only so so as aquarium fish because of diet) condylactus anemones, plus 3 or 4 lesser known but good aquarium animones, feather dusters coral banded shrimp, and anemone shrimp- I could go on and on but you get the picture. Ask Paul Betito (pbetito) and Aaron (Airinhere), they both came out to visit me on a couple of different occasions and brought their catch back. They scuba, but I know lots of snorkeling spots I could direct you to if you choose.

woah thats awesome!!! can you do that in mexico and hawaii also!?? because i want to be able to bring stuff back that would awesome! i just got to see how much the lfights and stuff are, because my mom would rather do cheap flights and an expensive beach house or something,....what kind of fiching liscense i have one for like lakes and stuff, but i highly doubt that they are the same.

There is a law that prohibits most fish and inverts from being brought back from Mexico, it has to do with commercial fishing, but it applies to anyone fishing in Mexico so you normally can't do that. From HI and FL you just need to buy a state fishing license, which is different costs depending on where you live. From HI there is actually a aquarium fish permit that is free if it is for personal use, but you can only take 5 fish a day. In FL you just need a recreational salt water license and that is a little more for a non resident then a native, but still cheap, I think about $30 and you can take up to 20 fish a day.

Back