OT: Kayak's

sinful

I'm considering buying a kayak to start kayaking/camping/fishing. Anyone have any suggestions on a brand? I don't want top of the line, but I also don't want junk. A couple buddies told me to consider Wilderness and Emotion. Like to stay around $500-$1k maybe.

Also any camping spots anyone recommend?

I think pelican makes a pretty nice kayak, I like to go around Gandy, idk about camping though lol

I'm considering buying a kayak to start kayaking/camping/fishing. Anyone have any suggestions on a brand? I don't want top of the line, but I also don't want junk. A couple buddies told me to consider Wilderness and Emotion. Like to stay around $500-$1k maybe.

Also any camping spots anyone recommend?

Add Perception to that list. There's an outdoor store in Annapolis that does a weekend every spring where they have dozens of different models out on the water that you can test paddle. If you can find an event near you like that I'd highly recommend it to give you an idea of what's most comfortable for you. I'd also recommend looking at used kayaks. There are some major steals to be had out there. I picked up my 16' Perception Carolina a couple years ago for $400.

EmilyKayak_zpsyc8nfdcd.jpg

If you are fishing out of it you will want a sit on top that is pretty stable so you can potentially stand up. The amount of extras you want will get you into which brand and size. I use a 10' and a 12' for fishing

Check out the Native Ultimate line. Not only are they one of the best fishing kayaks out there, you can load up stuff when camping as well. The 12.5 is nice, but I'd get the 14.5 if you can.

Advanced Elements from REI. They're inflatable but extremely durable. Once inflated, almost as strong as a hard shell. Just can't do whitewater with them. Also, they don't take up space and fit into a small back for easy transportation and storage.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Don't waste your money on an expensive kayak for fishing. Get a sit on top with a wide base from Craigslist or westmarine with a coupon. Then look up all the ways you can outfit a kayak for fishing and spend your money on equipment. My buddy has one from westmarine and he put a foot peddle trolling motor on the back and he built his own stabilizers for sight casting. There is a guy in St. Pete who does kayak fishing tours who sells decked out fishing kayaks, but I want to say that they are more than a grand.

Advanced Elements from REI. They're inflatable but extremely durable. Once inflated, almost as strong as a hard shell. Just can't do whitewater with them. Also, they don't take up space and fit into a small back for easy transportation and storage.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I have seen the oyster bars shred my friends

I would look on crags list and pick up a hobie kayak. Your hands are free for fishing,taking pictures or slipping on a cold one. The first day out I had a great time.

Check out the Native Ultimate line. Not only are they one of the best fishing kayaks out there, you can load up stuff when camping as well. The 12.5 is nice, but I'd get the 14.5 if you can.

I love the Native line. Ended up with Wilderness Systems Tarpon which is much faster (and usually can be found cheaper used) but not nearly as stable.

I can agree with the buying used option as well. I bought a used ocean kayak when I first started out that I outfit with anchor rig, rod holders all that good stuff, lasted 10 yrs of oyster bar scraping. Hobbies are nice and offer some cool customizations,also good for taller bigger guys. The natives and wilderness are great, stable and ready to fish.

As was stated being able to sit in them and find out which one is best fit for you is good way to go. Bill Jacksons is good as well as Canoe Country Outfitters in pinellas

Ty I didn't know you yaked man. Rich Ramos and I used to go out almost daily.

I can agree with the buying used option as well. I bought a used ocean kayak when I first started out that I outfit with anchor rig, rod holders all that good stuff, lasted 10 yrs of oyster bar scraping. Hobbies are nice and offer some cool customizations,also good for taller bigger guys. The natives and wilderness are great, stable and ready to fish.

As was stated being able to sit in them and find out which one is best fit for you is good way to go. Bill Jacksons is good as well as Canoe Country Outfitters in pinellas

Ty I didn't know you yaked man. Rich Ramos and I used to go out almost daily.

I went out a lot more last year and haven't gone as much this year. I usually go in fall and winter to hit up the flats for fishing. It gets a big too hot for me to deal with the heat in summer. Yup. Yak Life.

What would be a decent deal on a used kayak? Nothing special, just something I can go out fishing in.

Check sports authority, they are having their liquidation sale.

Their liquidation sale consists of clothing and other non-main stream sporting goods. They have clothing and very little in the way of actual sporting goods left if any at all. Now if you're going to take up lacrosse... They've got some protective equipment. This is all based on what I've seen. Maybe it's different elsewhere further south from me. I can't even find a water bottle with a straw for facemasked sports, short of ordering off amazon.

What would be a decent deal on a used kayak? Nothing special, just something I can go out fishing in.

You can find a sit on top for 300 or so, nothing fancy but would keep you floating.

Just really depends on how much you get into it. I've spent as much as 1800 and as little as 600 for a nice kayak.

Check CL, you can usually find something that will fit your needs.

You can find a sit on top for 300 or so, nothing fancy but would keep you floating.

Just really depends on how much you get into it. I've spent as much as 1800 and as little as 600 for a nice kayak.

Check CL, you can usually find something that will fit your needs.
It go out one day buddy

Back