Over eat?

fe342185

Hi All,

I have a bunch of fish in my 180gal including a pair of 4" blue throat triggers. They both aggressively eat mysis and 2 days ago the female ate a bunch and now has not come out in the open. I see her come out of her hole and she rotates like a rotisserie chicken once then reverse back into the hole. I have seen her do this at least 3 times. Tonight will be day 2 that she has not swam in the open.

Thx in advance.

I don't think a fish can overeat---I could be wrong, but what they eat up front tends to leave in the rear, and the faster you feed, the faster they poo. Some fish (notably koi, who don't really have a stomach) don't have much of a stop before their highly acidic stomach processes the food toward exit. Other fish have a kind of apology for a stomach, like a kind of 'bag' where food starts being processed, but it's not like ours.

I had a male blue jaw that never had over eating issues...nor has any other fish (fresh water or salt water) that I've had in the last 15 years. I'm a habitual over feeder and my blue jaw ate like a pig, then stopped when he'd had enough.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but I don't think your problem comes from too much food.

I think this may be a swim bladder issue. She seems to be bloated. Assuming I can catch her, can someone provide advice on how to resolve the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back