Overflow design ?

snowman

I'm in the planning stages of a 180 or maybe larger depending on the budget remains (planning equipment for large size then buying tank to match equipment) My question is this: Would it be reasonable to make the back 4-5" of the tank an overflow the entire length of the tank? This would hold four drain holes and two Sea Swirls (1") Does this seem like a design that holds any worth? For a better description of what I was thinking it would be better stated as channel 4-5" wide by about 6" deep. Thanks for the great articles keep up the good work.

When you say 6" deep, I assume that you are going to drill in the back wall rather than the bottom, or am I misunderstanding you?

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds ideal.

Yes I will be drilling the back of the tank and not the bottom. Did i see correctly that your not cutting notches/sluts in the overflow and use a flat edge as the point of overflow? Thanks Jarrell

Yes, that's correct. I highly recommend foregoing the teeth, especially with a very large overflow such as you are describing.

Back