Ozone --> 500 mg for a 150 gal too much?

Hi guys, this post is a bit old but I would put my 2c.

I've some experiences, both with UV and ozone use on my tanks.

The black side of the UV for me is the bad effect on the bacterial population of the tank. I ran continuously a only 9W UV-C lamp, on a 160g R-DSB reef with heavy load and aggressive use of carbon source and bacteria dosing every day. After 6-7 months I've noticed some problem with the inorganic level control. After stopping the UV in a couple of weeks the system restored the processing capacity.

When I used a more powerful UV-C (for pond one), for fish parasites, the effect was more destructive on tank bacterial population more than the effect on the parasites.
So my ORP and PH decreasing, because my than was unable to cycle the organics.

I not noticed any effect of UV on water clarity as I obtained with a small use of ozone: the effect of a low dose of ozone on this parameter is dramatic.

Some years ago I use ozone on another 60g tank running a underrated skimmer, but the issue was the production of a lot of nitrate. I think was the chemical reaction of oxidation of the ammonia to nitrate made by O3.

Now, in the actual tank I dose 20 mg/h for 2'30" every hour, in the morning and first afternoon. Dosed into a BK supekrmarine 250, no ozone smell in sump and over the cup, so I think the O3 is reacting completely. The effect on PH and water clarity is good, but my deal is to increase the Oxygen level and a breaking effect of long-chain organics for a better skimmer performance and bacterial activity.

This is my experience with UV and O3

Back