Ozone dosing

stony_corals

I'm injecting ozone into my Euro Reef skimmer. The setup looks like this

Luft Pump -> Air Dryer -> Check Valve -> Aquamedic 200 mg/h ozone unit -> check valve -> Plastic T -> ER air intake.

My question is that I have the Plastic T with one of the openings "open", meaning one side goes into the skimmer, another is from the ozone. This is so that if I ozone unit goes off, the skimmer can still get air. I have the ozone unit on the lowest setting that the green light is on (meaning the unit is producing ozone). I have carbon near the exit of the skimmer and some on top of the skimmer.

I do smell a little ozone, like if you opened your computer. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks...

So you are saying you have two air lines feeding this reactor ?

Why, if the ozone unit shuts off the Tetra Lufta Pump is still pumping air and will go right through the ozone unit to the skimmer. There is nothing inside any ozone unit that stops air flow if the ozone unit shuts off. You also do not need that first cehck valve.

No, I've got one, but the "t" has one side that doesn't have a plastic flexy tube over it so that when the unit and air pump shut off, the skimmer can still get air. Yes, I've got my AC3 that will shut off both when ORP is greater than 430mv.

I've got carbon in my sump next to the exit of the skimmer, and carbon on top of my skimmer cap (there are holes in the top - these are covered by the carbon).

You lost me stony. If the air is shut-off coming from the AC3 then there is no air going to the skimmer correct. If the T gives it air where does it come from ? How does the it get air ? And how does that shut-off if the AC3 and Luft air pump are running. There is no reason to shut-off the air going to the Lufta pump going to the AC3. Is this T adding air by venture action ? If so that is two air supplies correct. Why ? Is it the T feeds most of the air to the skimmer and the AC3 air is just a small sup air supply for the ozone.

Sorry, AC3 = Aquacontroller 3. esesntially shuts off the Luft pump and the ozone when ORP > 440 mv via the X10s that they are plugged into.

The Plastics T

In from ozone and luft pump
|
|
___ this part is open so that if the ORP > 440 and the ozone and luft shut off the skimmer can get air
|
|
Into skimmer (Euro Reef Aspirating skimmer)

I suppose I could take off the T and leave the luft pump on at all times. I just don't want the skimmer to be limited by air intake, or the luft pump to push too much air into the skimmer causing a degradation of skimming by not having an opening that the skimmer could take in air....

If I understand the setup correctly, the open T will vent ozone into the air, which I would avoid. Better to degrade the skimming, in my opinion, althought that won't necessarily happen.

Personally, I'd get an ozone reactor chamber into the setup. The article I posted has some ideas on that.

this part is open so that if the ORP > 440 and the ozone and luft shut off the skimmer can get air

Ok, I see you have a skimmer that uses a pinwheel, so then the Lufta is just adding air as a sup for use with the ozone unit. You probably did not need that Lufta. And you are force feeding the skimmer with another air supply, not a good idea. So, it is that open T feeding the pinwheel correct.

Could be

___ this part is open skimmer can get air from the <--check value--AC3 --- air dryer
|
|
Into skimmer (Euro Reef Aspirating skimmer)

But this may not be good either as the long line air line and air dryer could impede flow

As the skimmer pulls the air into the skimmer it goes through the ozonizer and if the ORP is to high it just shuts-off the AC3

Yeah, that's pretty much it..... I've got the luft pump on either the lowest or second lowest setting so I'm not jamming too much air into the skimmer. At least that is what my thought process is.... I could take off the Luft air pump and have the skimmer try to pull the air through the dryer -> check valve -> Ozone generator -> check valve -> skimmer, but I'm worried about the ER being able to pull enough air to skimmer well. If it were a downdraft or beckett, I'd not have that concern. I noticed though that when I put the luft air pump on the skimmer ( as well as the ozone) that it was skimmming A LOT more.....

I appreciate your help.

In addition to the above advice, I would lower your target (shut off ) to 400mv.

440 seems a bit high to me. I actually have mine set at 390.

I have seen no studies or tests that recommend an "optimal" ORP level based on scientific fact, however, after pouring through many, many articles, it does seem that the 390 figure comes up a lot.

I had the same problem as you. When you use your main skimmer for injection of ozone, you have to tweak and tweak and tweak as the amount of air injected into the skimmer affects skimmer production. Obviousy, running a seperate reactor solves this problem. :)

Back