pale and brown sps

I think testing for phosphates should be your first step. There's a few reasons SPS brown. Ultimately, it's excess zooxanthele in the coral. High phosphates and light spectrum can both impact this.

thats the next thing on my agenda, check for po4. my lfs has a test for it buy i think it may be an api. i've tested zero for nitrate via API test kit, wouldn't that mean my po4 would be low or zero as well?

thats the next thing on my agenda, check for po4. my lfs has a test for it buy i think it may be an api. i've tested zero for nitrate via API test kit, wouldn't that mean my po4 would be low or zero as well?

You could have low nitrates and high phosphates. It's not uncommon. The API test is not very good for phosphates. I like the API tests for ammonia, nitrite and (high) nitrate but they're just not that accurate. They're good for a rough estimate.

I really like the Hanna checker for phosphates but I have several salifret (s?) test kits and they're great. They're also pretty easy on the wallet. I haven't used the phosphate test from them but as I said, all the other tests I have from them are great.

You could have low nitrates and high phosphates. It's not uncommon. The API test is not very good for phosphates. I like the API tests for ammonia, nitrite and (high) nitrate but they're just not that accurate. They're good for a rough estimate.

I really like the Hanna checker for phosphates but I have several salifret (s?) test kits and they're great. They're also pretty easy on the wallet. I haven't used the phosphate test from them but as I said, all the other tests I have from them are great.

Yeah good idea I'm goin to purchase salifret test kits when i can.

I with everyone else about testing your water before worrying about the light if its not your params then it could just be it is acclimating to your lighting and flow

I with everyone else about testing your water before worrying about the light if its not your params then it could just be it is acclimating to your lighting and flow

Thats the thing tho, they've been in my system for about 3 months now. Should have beenacclimated by now. I bet its the water params. Ill have towait till tuesday to have the lfs test for po4.

Oh yeah most likely your phosphates then. Like someone said earlier in the thread they will Brown out with to much nutrients

Do not buy API test kits, for nitrate get either red sea or salifert, for phosphate I highly recommend the Hannah ULR checker (the one that reads in pbb for phosphorous) if not the Hannah then red sea or salifert.

pics before and after

pics before and after

may 2013
102_1511_zpse0964127.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now
IMG_6541_zps4bbdb8f9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

may 2013

now
IMG_6540_zps74e56708.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

wasn't able to have my water tested today. will try again tomorrow. see what i mean with e pale and brown.

another shot with the white balance adjusted. also see the kind of mermaids cup macroalgae invasion...

IMG_6539_zps39cbc85c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i feed every other day nls flake and sometimes pellets.
do 25% water change one a week.
top off(ato) with rodi water i get from the lfs.

got a tds meter coming in the mail soon, to check the water.

Hmmm with weekly 25% WC's you shouldn't be having problems with water chemistry...

Gotta be the RO/DI water from the store. Why not invest in a RO/DI unit of your own? Save you money in water, gas, and time it takes to go to and from your LFS... Plus, you can make water whenever you want.

Hmmm with weekly 25% WC's you shouldn't be having problems with water chemistry...

Gotta be the RO/DI water from the store. Why not invest in a RO/DI unit of your own? Save you money in water, gas, and time it takes to go to and from your LFS... Plus, you can make water whenever you want.

very good point, its on the to do list. i just keep putting it off because the lfs i get it from is 4 block away. i will probly buy one in the next coming months. any that you would recomend? i've seen some from purewaterclub on ebay. $120 for rodi unit plus a spare set of filters.

Spectrapure for the win! Order the "refurbished" unit. Same price, but excellent quality.
spectrapure DOT com /FACTORY-REFURBISHED/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System

I went thru some of the same issues you're going thru. Pale corals if they even survived. I was a bare bottom breeder doing water changes every other week. I was told so many different things to do and try. I ended up finally getting some good advise that made sense. I Set up a good sand bed, fed like crazy and invested in good test kits.

A year later corals are exploding with growth and colors are rocking. I still am meticulous about my tank but I'm not changing, add and tweaking nearly as much as I used to. I keep it simple skimmer gfo carbon.

That's what's working for me.

Let me just add a little to my last post. I tried different lights, light cycle, and light spectrum. Vodka dosing, water flow. Was told I needed a CA reactor and bio pellets.

I was losing my mind and ready to throw in the towel. But now I can't be happier!!

Let me just add a little to my last post. I tried different lights, light cycle, and light spectrum. Vodka dosing, water flow. Was told I needed a CA reactor and bio pellets.

I was losing my mind and ready to throw in the towel. But now I can't be happier!!

I will take that into consideration. thanks

Back