pale and brown sps

Let me just add a little to my last post. I tried different lights, light cycle, and light spectrum. Vodka dosing, water flow. Was told I needed a CA reactor and bio pellets.

I was losing my mind and ready to throw in the towel. But now I can't be happier!!

Vodka dosing/ biopellets are both ways to dose carbon. If you had a NO3/PO4 problem, it would've helped.

Vodka dosing/ biopellets are both ways to dose carbon. If you had a NO3/PO4 problem, it would've helped.

i'm going to get a couple of brs reactors to run carbon and gfo in next few months. dang man i rushed out the door too quick this morning and forgot to bring a water sample for testing the po4 level. bummer maybe next time.

very good point, its on the to do list. i just keep putting it off because the lfs i get it from is 4 block away. i will probly buy one in the next coming months. any that you would recomend? i've seen some from purewaterclub on ebay. $120 for rodi unit plus a spare set of filters.

Look at buckeye field supply as well good prices and GREAT service. Talk to Russ and he'll get your everything you need.

i'm going to get a couple of brs reactors to run carbon and gfo in next few months. dang man i rushed out the door too quick this morning and forgot to bring a water sample for testing the po4 level. bummer maybe next time.

That's sounds like a solid plan. You might want to consider vodka or some other carbon doing if you have high NO3.

thanks for the feedback ramsey. So i've been playing around with the dimmer on my light and turns out with my blues at 100% and whites at about 10% my acans have puffed up real nice like, monti cap is looking better as well. colors are lookin good on all the corals(may be the actinic tho) i'm going to monitor this for a couple weeks to see if i have any progression!

Corals are showing more color but still arnt what they could be. finaly purchased a rodi unit. after testing lfs rodi and getting 70ppm tds, it was time to take things into my own hands so to speak. Troubleshooting sps coloration continues :). I'm going to plumb a 20g sump and possibly a 20g fuge, clown & nem tank, or a sort of frag/collection tank. Still trying to decide, what do you think?

Probably a nutrient issue, and it might be lack of nutrients. Since you have a bare bottom tank I would up the feedings considerably, maybe try adding some coral food like reef roids, and doing smaller more frequent water changes to remove the detritus from the bottom (due to heavy feeding).

Well i added a small 1/2 layer of sand about 3 weeks ago. Still only feed every other day(only have 2 fish). Now that ill be using 100% for sure 0 tds water for ato and wc i can determin if the lfs rodi water is to blame.

Probably a nutrient issue, and it might be lack of nutrients. Since you have a bare bottom tank I would up the feedings considerably, maybe try adding some coral food like reef roids, and doing smaller more frequent water changes to remove the detritus from the bottom (due to heavy feeding).

Could it really be lack of nutrients ? even though i have a an issue with a macro algae called mermaids cup, i have pic posted on this page of the stuff growing. its every where!
I've tryed cutting then but they just grow back.

i would say that the corals are starving as well. as for the mermaid cup, you could try ripping it out and then maybe filling in the cracks with some reef putty? Thats what I did to some hair algae but it was on a much smaller scale. Maybe someone has better advice?

Corals are showing more color but still arnt what they could be. finaly purchased a rodi unit. after testing lfs rodi and getting 70ppm tds, it was time to take things into my own hands so to speak. Troubleshooting sps coloration continues :). I'm going to plumb a 20g sump and possibly a 20g fuge, clown & nem tank, or a sort of frag/collection tank. Still trying to decide, what do you think?

Hold off on all the new additions till you get this solved, IMO. Did you ever get your water tested???
Good going on the RO/DI unit purchase. It's one of the best investments you can make for your reef.

i would say that the corals are starving as well. as for the mermaid cup, you could try ripping it out and then maybe filling in the cracks with some reef putty? Thats what I did to some hair algae but it was on a much smaller scale. Maybe someone has better advice?

But from what i understand there would have to be nutrients in the water column for the mermaids cup invasion going on correct?

Hold off on all the new additions till you get this solved, IMO. Did you ever get your water tested???
Good going on the RO/DI unit purchase. It's one of the best investments you can make for your reef.

no havn't tested for po4 yet, still working on getting some salifert kits. well the new additions would be to help the main display, i thought at least. larger volume of water, larger skimmer(i would be able to feed heavy and not worry about algae as much), and i'd have a place to install a media reactor or 2. still think its a no go?

well def not going to do the whole external sump and fuge thing. came across a deal on a 55 gallon setup. i know everyone says the dimensions are no good i feel i may be able to work with them.

In the meantime i would still like to figure out why my sps are not the color they should be.

now with the amount of macro algae(mermaids cup) growing on the rock work, wouldn't that indicate that there is enough nutrient in the water column for the sps so that they are not "starving" as stated by someone previously?

finally got the salifert test kits in. no3 is at 2 and po4 is at 0. is it possible that the 2 ppm nitrate is causing my sps to pale and brown??? i'm thinking its my light spectrum...

I still say nutrients. Corals need something besides light to color up best. Your goal is to always have something floating in the water for corals to eat but yet keep your parameters in check. :)

I still say nutrients. Corals need something besides light to color up best. Your goal is to always have something floating in the water for corals to eat but yet keep your parameters in check. :)

yeah i hear ya. i have been feeding more often for the past month, colors seem to be doin better for sure but still not the rich deep colors they were when i bought them. its too soon to tell right now tho

Well I'm pretty sure I solved the mystery! The more I feed the better the colors get. Its such an easy concept I love it! turned out to be and easy and cheap fix. Thanks for all of yalls help

IME Browning corals can also be from lack of light and fwiw most people with just cool white and blue leds usually don't report the best colors. I've read a lot of threads over the years about problems with color and sps due to the running just white and blue . I think there's a reason why most if not all manufacturers are running away from the 2 to 1 blue to white.. Your light is almost 1 to 1 So I would say it's Def not a great spectrum for certain sps if not all. Your colors may not ever be what you want them to be regardless of parameters fwiw.

Back