PE and color on undata

2yy7055.jpg

It was outgrown!
166lvz5.jpg

Allsps40--you bulbls look 10kish--if so I'd say yours would glow with 14-20/actinics

That is some nice looking corals in there!

lcs, I would put money on it that if you did a 30% - 35% water change with good quality salt, you will see some polyp extension in a couple of days.

Some improvement

Some improvement

I moved the frag on the 3rd and by the next day, the polyps had just started to poke through. I wish I had a picture of what it looked like before I moved it . . .

After one day . . .
IMG_4960.jpg

Further away . . .
IMG_4969.jpg

FTS. Excuse the mess, I fragged a couple rics and I'm waiting for them to attach!
IMG_4971.jpg

As you can see, the highest real estate is taken. The frag is now about 16" from the light. Close enough for it to color up? Only time will tell I suppose.

I have an undata that looks similar to psteeleb's pic and it's under moderate light and flow. My undata has been through slow growth periods and little PE periods as well. The low PE periods were triggered from low/unstable alk and once this was resolved my undata was much happier. Fortunately, the only negative effect of the low PE was growth. I felt that during this time, the coral was stunted in growth and after the alk issue was resolved, the growth returned. If you haven't already, I'd suggest comparing your alk results with another tester (ie LFS).

According to this article in Advanced Aquarist, regarding M. Undata, "maximum photosynthesis occurs at a PAR value of ~200 µmol·m²·sec. Increasing light intensity above this point is counter-productive as photoinhibition occurs". The article also has a graph indicating the "blue-green fluorescent pigment has an emission peak at ~490nm."

I saw that article not too long ago and thought it was very interesting. It would indicate to me that it certainly doesn't need super high light and, in fact, it could be detrimental. However, anecdotally, it seems that people have had success with this under pretty hight light.

It would be interesting to see the PAR numbers for those that have good growth/color/PE.

Update . . .

Update . . .

It's been ten days and there has been improvement. The PE still isn't all the way back, but it's much better. And I'm pretty sure I'm seeing some green start to come back. I'm only really noticing it under the actinics and there's no way I could get a picture of it. It's probably only my imagination, but I'm keeping my hopes up!

Back