PE and color on undata

lcs

It's Spring!!!!!!!
I've had an undata frag for a month now. I acclimated it to my light over about a 10 day period and placed it about 24" below 96W of T5 in moderate, turbulent flow. It has lost what little green it had and there has been no polyp extension in a couple of weeks. I moved it back down and off to the side to my frag rack in the hopes that it will be happier back where it was.

Parameters:
SG 1.0255
alk 8.0-8.3
Ca 450
Mg 1320
temp 78

Is it settling in and adjusting?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Here is mine high flow medium light, low in the tank. Good color and PE.
corals121.jpg

Here is mine high flow medium light, low in the tank. Good color and PE.
corals121.jpg

eh, mines the same color. I wouldn't say it's a good colour for an undata. Mine is growing fast has a nice growth rim and good pe, but isn't nearly as good looking as the red polyp one i have (which is more under the halide) I think they really have to be nuked to get that nice green/purple out of them

(not mine)
IMG_3010.jpg

Color is more a function of light..and water quality.

Like I said though...no polyps is likely water quality or less likely flow.

Med to high light

mine
UNDATA.jpg

+1 on water quality. I've grown an Undata in different parameters. Usually they can handle poorer water quality but too much GFO, along with other phosphate reducers, can damage and bleach out montis really fast.

I find that encrusting monteporas seem to get better color with higher Mg levels. just my experiance with a few so you may want to try it.

my undata
In Jan
<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jg1eJtephqg?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jg1eJtephqg?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

3 months later in Mar under actinics, the real color is closer to the first video with a greenish hue center, rich purple rim and baby blue polyps
<object width="853" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kk8116aEPt8?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kk8116aEPt8?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Mine used to look like allsps40's - good polyp extension, but not so great color, which I assumed was a function of it taking a while to settle in, so no big deal.

Good grief dvanacker and psteeleb, those are incredible! It's specimens like those that made me want it so bad! :inlove:

I am not running phosphate reducers of any kind. Just weekly water changes of 10-15% that have, so far kept my alk and Mg at what I figured were acceptable levels. Should I bump up the Mg to closer to 1400?

I have since moved it up and centered under the lights where it should be getting moderate to strong flow.

And, by the way, I'm a she! :fun2: ;)

Thanks so much for the ideas/suggestions guys! Feel free to keep the pictures coming!

I have only ever seen pics of undata with the green and purple. I have not see it in person. My polyps are a much brighter green that the pic shows, but the base is tan.

I have only ever seen pics of undata with the green and purple. I have not see it in person. My polyps are a much brighter green that the pic shows, but the base is tan.

Your undata looks pretty healthy to me. Give that guy some time and you should start to see the purple rim on it. Most of the time, the polyps seem more green with the top down shots.

I am not running phosphate reducers of any kind. Just weekly water changes of 10-15% that have, so far kept my alk and Mg at what I figured were acceptable levels. Should I bump up the Mg to closer to 1400?

How long has your tank been set up? It very well could be lighting if your water quality is up to par.

Tank is over 3 years old. Lighting is 250w 20k MH. I am not complaining about the color. It is new to my tank, not even a month. So It needs some time. It is healthy and getting great PE.

The tank has been set up for 20 months. I'm home with the kids so I'm able to easily keep up with top-offs which I do 2X/day. I haven't been dosing anything yet, but I figured I didn't need to as my Mg and alk have been (to me) high enough and pretty stable.

Here's a question . . . how stable is stable? My Mg does fluctuate some, usually within 30ppm. Is this too wide? Should I be keeping a closer eye on it?

It is new to my tank, not even a month. So It needs some time.
That's what I'm hoping is the situation with mine as well.

Oh you did not ask me lol. lcs IMO your skimmer is a little under sized for your setup. I would go with a NW150. I run the NW110 on my tank and I feel it is close to the limit of what it can handle. I dont think that is your problem though.

wow my undata looks a lot diffrent. the hole piece i have is purple, and no green, i have also seen blue, but not green, funny how diffrent the same coral can look under diffrent conditions.

wow my undata looks a lot diffrent. the hole piece i have is purple, and no green, i have also seen blue, but not green, funny how diffrent the same coral can look under diffrent conditions.

Well not all undata's need to look like the Tyree undata. You probably have the same species but not the same coral.

Back