Pedal laceration in Gigantea

Mi gigantea is in still QT with enrofloxacine, I do not perform daily water changes. He is inflated 50% but when placed in DT he deflates completly in two days or so. I think his inmunological system is destroyed so I am doing a kind of "artificial life support" .

Mi other QT tank is holding a ctenochaetus hawainensis with fin rot that need time (I will perform 5 hour daily bath with 5 mg/l enrofloxacine)

I do not know what to do with my loved gigantea. Maybe is time to let him go..

:(

I would definatly give it a go with the uv bucket idea- You may need a uv on the main system anyway.
I used a 600l per hour uv to feed the bucket..
That way you can keep him there for weeks and let him become adjusted. I used a 5 litre container suspended with the rim just off the water surface, under the lights. You might also feed water through normal airline after a few weeks. Increase the ammount of ' normal ' water slowly allowing the nem to readjusted its immune system to the main tank water with higher bacterial content- rather than just plonking him into it straight off.

The problem is that a new red hadonni and an old blue hadonni, which was previously trapped by a vortech, are in DT and they can be infected in case the gig. shares the same water… I will wait to clear my other QT and hope the gig. is able to handle

If only it were that simple- I do agree that saving these animals would be a good thing.
In reality however I dont think this really happens.
I am trade and buy wholesale in the UK ( i just dont sell to the public ) The sad thing is that gigs are very very cheap from a $$ standpoint. The profits are high but the losses are very low if they die, so generally the work to find a treatment is NOT done
- I do this because most of my stock I hold for months and sometimes years, before adding to my cutomers tanks ( its not just about $$ for me )
All my stock has to survive, as I'll be looking after it for years after adding customers aquariums.

My supplier in the philipiens has said that even with natural sea water holding tanks ( set up on the beach ) the losses with gigs is quiet high due to their delicate nature..

There are some quality suppliers out there. I would love to know the full Divers Den procedure. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something that isn't commonly done in hobbyist systems. I could be wrong.

What do you run on your system? No skimmer is interesting. Do you run a lot of carbon? I read a real interesing article/thread(I can't remember the source, wilkins, delbeek/sprung maybe?) that said most successful anemones(long term) are in systems that, supprisingly according to the polling, use tap water and not RO/DI.

Hi. There probably is quality suppliers some where ( in the world ) not really here in the uk thou..

The system i run is using and algae filter.. Quiet a large on for the size of the tank- it is almost the same sq foot area as the main tank.
I have had v gd results in regards to health of all corals and nems although the tank doesnt look so ' clean ' and is unsuitable for aquarium install and maintainence ( as clients want it to look clean above all else )
I also add Ca(OH) in the night time period as ph does start to drop and the nems dont like that one bit..
This system is based on my reserch on here and into the enviroment nems come from. Often for haddonis and gigs its sea grass areas, coastal ( dirty ) enviroments..

BTW there is no carbon, phosphate remover or much kit. Just a sump, algae, heater, light, kalk reactor and pump. Although I have added a uv now since having probs with pathogens.

some general shots of the coral in his system..

QUOTE=jeffreylesser;18403732]There are some quality suppliers out there. I would love to know the full Divers Den procedure. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something that isn't commonly done in hobbyist systems. I could be wrong.

What do you run on your system? No skimmer is interesting. Do you run a lot of carbon? I read a real interesing article/thread(I can't remember the source, wilkins, delbeek/sprung maybe?) that said most successful anemones(long term) are in systems that, supprisingly according to the polling, use tap water and not RO/DI.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
newclownfish008.jpg

Feb2010023.jpg

newclownfish004.jpg

There are some quality suppliers out there. I would love to know the full Divers Den procedure. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something that isn't commonly done in hobbyist systems. I could be wrong.

What do you run on your system? No skimmer is interesting. Do you run a lot of carbon? I read a real interesing article/thread(I can't remember the source, wilkins, delbeek/sprung maybe?) that said most successful anemones(long term) are in systems that, supprisingly according to the polling, use tap water and not RO/DI.

Dr. Foster and Smith Divers Den Anemone Survival Thread

Kervon Kohen from DFS posts on that thread on the first page and goes in depth with their process on anemones.

Nick

I think that "water quality" is overrated when talking about anemones. I have been diving in Indonesia and saw hadonnis and giganteas near the beach, next to rocks and in sand and they were exposed to large changes in salinity and covered by mud and nutriends coming from rains on earth.

I do not claim that we can relax about the water quality of our system but I have heard things that "If your ORP drops below 350 you can not add anemones to your tank" or "salinity should be 1026 in order for them to thrive" (does it means that at 1025 they will not be as healthy?)

IME my gigantea is still living because I used antibiotics. I think that 75% of survival in captivity is related to the skills of the animal to handle the bacteria present in water and in its tissues... and of course light, water flow and so on..

Another issue that really remains a mistery to me is allelopathy, this is the reason because yesterday I decided no to mix the QT water with the DT water (even if using UV) were two hadonnies are living now.

I placed the gig in QT with new salt water and a biological filter and koralia.

Before removing him from QT with enrofloxacine:

img1000000405.jpg

The "big" QT sistem (with HQI 10.000 ºK) and DT (Recovering after a dinos plague some months ago)

img1000000409.jpg

img1000000413.jpg

This is how he looks like now:

img1000000412.jpg

I assume that all bacteria were killed by enrofloxacine before so there will be a very low concentration of new bacteria in the QT water and I hope he can handle this

Dr. Foster and Smith Divers Den Anemone Survival Thread

Kervon Kohen from DFS posts on that thread on the first page and goes in depth with their process on anemones.

Nick

Thanks. Nothing new here in terms of acclimation, but a quality procedure none the less. Most of my LFS around here have all the anemones in boxes with low flow in the same raceway, with pretty weak lighting overhead. I am sure this is typical of most LFS, but not all, as there are exceptions around me as well. I have read some of their information on their site and it certainly says something for a supplier to QT for six weeks before sale. I know of only a handful of places that do this. Starting to get off topic, but the chain of custody as Kervon puts it seems to be a big factor in survival as well.

Updated today, one month in the QT with no water changes, no antibiotic and under 150 W MH.

I gave him half a small shrimp and he took it. This is a pic after the food was catched and pushed into the stomach.

img1000000445.jpg

Well, I fed him three times, but only the first time the food was not regurgitated away some hours later.

The feeding did not help and the nem started to daflate again. Today I came back from a trip and the QT was dirty and he was looking worse.

I do not want to use antibiotics again so I have placed him in DT. I do not know how he will doing in the new enviroment.

Back