Pellet filter 5liter ==> Co2 reactor ?

peter1962

A question for Slief, regarding the possibility of using a Royal Exclusive pellet reactor http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes/Dreambox-media-filter/Dreambox-pellet-filter-O-150mmx330mm-5-liter-Volume-Space-Saver::1204.html in a large freshwater planted tank as a CO2 reactor.

I am in the planning stage for a 1400 liter freshwater tank, heavily planted in the Dutch style. It will have a sump, two closed loops with RD3 pumps, external beananimal overflow system with a weir, and a RD3 return pump.

There are some fine systems on the market for precisely dosing the Co2, but the item that has not evolved in say 20 years is the reactor itself. The 'best' reactor one can purchase is the aqua medic co2 reactor 1000 http://www.aqua-medic.de/index.php?r=catalog/product&id=13 which is not enough for a + 1000 liter aquarium.
Of course there is the DIY solution that was designed by the planted tank Guru Tom Barr http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/articles-aa/3576-dual-venturi-diy-external-co2-reactor

But I think when one is planning to spend a great deal on the aquarium and specifically choose to only use the best equipment, this item should be of equal quality.

Now my question is : in your opinion, could a pellet reactor be used as the ultimate Co2 reactor when placed in a sump, coupled to the return pump (dreambox gave me this idea)

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Peter

A question for Slief, regarding the possibility of using a Royal Exclusive pellet reactor http://royalexclusiv.net/Dreamboxes/Dreambox-media-filter/Dreambox-pellet-filter-O-150mmx330mm-5-liter-Volume-Space-Saver::1204.html in a large freshwater planted tank as a CO2 reactor.

I am in the planning stage for a 1400 liter freshwater tank, heavily planted in the Dutch style. It will have a sump, two closed loops with RD3 pumps, external beananimal overflow system with a weir, and a RD3 return pump.

There are some fine systems on the market for precisely dosing the Co2, but the item that has not evolved in say 20 years is the reactor itself. The 'best' reactor one can purchase is the aqua medic co2 reactor 1000 http://www.aqua-medic.de/index.php?r=catalog/product&id=13 which is not enough for a + 1000 liter aquarium.
Of course there is the DIY solution that was designed by the planted tank Guru Tom Barr http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/articles-aa/3576-dual-venturi-diy-external-co2-reactor

But I think when one is planning to spend a great deal on the aquarium and specifically choose to only use the best equipment, this item should be of equal quality.

Now my question is : in your opinion, could a pellet reactor be used as the ultimate Co2 reactor when placed in a sump, coupled to the return pump (dreambox gave me this idea)

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Peter

I don't see why it couldn't be used for that. Obviously you would need to be able to feed the Co2 in somehow. A venturi on the feed line with a check valve would be one way to do that. Bare in mind that these reactors are designed to be used inside the sump. They also don't have threaded fittings so you would need to use vinyl tubing over the inlet or modify the inlet by drilling and tapping it. You are kind of diving into the custom territory though so if you are willing to customize it, it could certainly be made to work. Another alternative that would be much easier would be to use a calcium reactor and not use calcium based media.. That would be the easiest method but obviously not as nice as the Dreambox reactors..

I don't see why it couldn't be used for that. Obviously you would need to be able to feed the Co2 in somehow. A venturi on the feed line with a check valve would be one way to do that. Bare in mind that these reactors are designed to be used inside the sump. They also don't have threaded fittings so you would need to use vinyl tubing over the inlet or modify the inlet by drilling and tapping it. You are kind of diving into the custom territory though so if you are willing to customize it, it could certainly be made to work. Another alternative that would be much easier would be to use a calcium reactor and not use calcium based media.. That would be the easiest method but obviously not as nice as the Dreambox reactors..

No problem there, i am 100% sure that I will go for a system with sump, just as I had on my previous aquarium (600 liter, with a wet/dry filter in a sump). (That was with a DIY Co2 reactor made of commercial grade PVC)

But now I am in search for the better sollution : a quality reactor, driven by a quality pump.
Technical questions : should i opt for a bypass on the return line of the pump, like in the dreambox ? Or is a dedicated pump (eventually with needle impeller) be the better solution to this RE reactor for CO2 ?

No problem there, i am 100% sure that I will go for a system with sump, just as I had on my previous aquarium (600 liter, with a wet/dry filter in a sump). (That was with a DIY Co2 reactor made of commercial grade PVC)

But now I am in search for the better sollution : a quality reactor, driven by a quality pump.
Technical questions : should i opt for a bypass on the return line of the pump, like in the dreambox ? Or is a dedicated pump (eventually with needle impeller) be the better solution to this RE reactor for CO2 ?

I would use a bypass on the return to feed the reactor. That or plumbing in a manifold outside of the sump inline on the return pump.

Thank you very much for your advice. I guess that the last remaining question to resolve is a good solution for a venturi on the feed line. Just maybe this item from Royal exclusive could be used for that purpose ?

660_0.jpg

Thank you very much for your advice. I guess that the last remaining question to resolve is a good solution for a venturi on the feed line. Just maybe this item from Royal exclusive could be used for that purpose ?

660_0.jpg

Could but it's designed to be used with the RD3 50 skimmer pump.

Back