people who go with "almost" no Water Changes needed!

Great looking tank glenn. Ill be searching your profile for a build as soon as im done making this comment.

One pst above said how he thought mimicking NSW would be ideal. I was of similar ming until I read your reply. I dont want a natural reef now that i think about it. I want coral that looks like they have had some "Reef roids" Thanks for freeing me from the limits of NSW!

Great looking tank glenn. Ill be searching your profile for a build as soon as im done making this comment.

One pst above said how he thought mimicking NSW would be ideal. I was of similar ming until I read your reply. I dont want a natural reef now that i think about it. I want coral that looks like they have had some "Reef roids" Thanks for freeing me from the limits of NSW!
Agriculture isn't natural, but produces nice productsšŸ˜Š

Happy Reefing, GlennF

I do about a 30% water change every 3 to 4months on my 110 mix reef tank n also went skimmer less for 3 months now. I went skim less because some of my fish needs some algea to graze on. So far tank is still do great but keep a close eye on it.

I do about a 30% water change every 3 to 4months on my 110 mix reef tank n also went skimmer less for 3 months now. I went skim less because some of my fish needs some algea to graze on. So far tank is still do great but keep a close eye on it.
I would love to see pictures of your tank.

Happy Reefing, GlennF

Here is my 110g mix reef. Its about 1.5yrs old.

album.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Rainbow bta:
picture.php

picture.php

My 125 is skimmerless and I only change about 6 gallons a month, if I remember. I let my refugium and DIY ATS do the work.

I like the idea of no water changes. In fact being lazy I only do a few a year if that. I prefer to keep my hands out of the tank. Will be a practice I carry forward to my next tank in build now which is 210 gallons. Initial fill with be from the NSW of California :) Also planning on keeping some in the garage for when I do need some.

With that being said it would appear that some not doing water changes are at least supplementing elements required for a healthy tank that are depleted over time. So while it isn't a water change stuff is being introduced although at a smaller or slower scale in the form of dosing. More or less what a water change would do but probably more specific or targeted.

It would be interesting to see those who do not change water, don't add supplements, and what corals they keep. I know I'd be in the later not dosing anything and very few water changes. But then again I keep mostly soft corals with a handful of LPS being Hammer corals.

Still some amazing tanks so keep up the great work and discussions. I always though changing a zillion gallons of water is excessive and expensive. Not my cup of tea.

I change water as little as possible as long as i dont begin to see any problems with my tank (slowed growth). I recommend water changes but i prefer to leave things be for my own tank, especially now that I no longer have access to natural seawater. In general Id say I do a w/c twice a year and use some additives to keep the important trace elements up in the systems I run. My systems generally have undetectable nitrate and phosphate so really i don't see the need.

I run a small amount of carbon and ferric oxide, and for trace elements i use some combisan from two little fishies and some lugols sparingly in addition to my kalkwasser and two part to catch up to the pace my sps set for me.

How mich and how often you add supplements-vitamins,minerals etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of no water changes. In fact being lazy I only do a few a year if that. I prefer to keep my hands out of the tank. Will be a practice I carry forward to my next tank in build now which is 210 gallons. Initial fill with be from the NSW of California :) Also planning on keeping some in the garage for when I do need some.

With that being said it would appear that some not doing water changes are at least supplementing elements required for a healthy tank that are depleted over time. So while it isn't a water change stuff is being introduced although at a smaller or slower scale in the form of dosing. More or less what a water change would do but probably more specific or targeted.

It would be interesting to see those who do not change water, don't add supplements, and what corals they keep. I know I'd be in the later not dosing anything and very few water changes. But then again I keep mostly soft corals with a handful of LPS being Hammer corals.

Still some amazing tanks so keep up the great work and discussions. I always though changing a zillion gallons of water is excessive and expensive. Not my cup of tea.

right !
So while it isn't a water change stuff is being introduced in the form of dosing. More or less what a water change would do but probably more specific or targeted.

Not doing any dosing, not using a calcium reactor, no nutrients control and no water changes is an accident waiting to happen.
it not whether if you will get into trouble, but rather when...

also my thoughts
always though changing a zillion gallons of water is excessive and expensive. Not my cup of tea

Glenn do you use a calcium reactor?

Corey
No calcium now, before in did snd even combined it with dosing pumps.

But now only using supplements on dosings pump, i feel i have more control over processes within the tank .

Happy Reefing, GlennF

I did water changes weekly for the first year for my 50gallon tank. Now I hardly do water changes. I only do 5 gallons every 1-3 months. I have lost corals like hammers and a torch, but my zoanthids, and acans thrive. All my fish and inverts are fine as well. I put purple up in my top off water. I also have over 200 pounds of live rock, 2 800gph powerheads, and a bio filter. I never test any chemistry anymore because I'm lazy. Basically if you want to be a lazy reefer, just pick the right animals and corals to put in the tank. I by no means recommend following my advice. The best results come from the best care. I would just stick with zoanthids and hardy fish untill you dedicate yourself. I have had much success with zoas, and I put forth very little effort. Also I put ammonia/nitrate detox in my water change mix. Best of luck.

I'm kind of on the edge of this discussion I guess. I do 5% water changes every 3 weeks which is slightly less than average. I have a 40B SPS tank. For me, I notice too much change in water chemistry if I do more frequent or higher volume water changes.

For example, I used to change out about 10% every week and my SPS would start sliming and I would lose polyp extension for about a day. They were clearly reacting to the introduction of new water. So I cut down water changes and almost never have this problem. I have an oversized skimmer, run GAC, and have turbo snails and an algae scraper for nuisance algae. Nitrates are near zero and I need to feed my corals heavily just to maintain coloration. Only real problem I have in my tank is bubble algae but water changes wouldn't help with that anyway.

IMO, water changes are important, just not as important as everyone believes. I think the replenishing of trace elements is the only real benefit. Nutrient reduction, at least long term, is more a matter of good export processes (skimming, macro, GFO, GAC, etc). In the end it's probably worth noting that what works in one tank might not work in someone else's. In my tank, too much water change causes more harm than good.

I dose prodibio, my nutrients are low on my 300G. I do water changes every 3 months or so but I only do like 30gallons when I do. I don't know how people manage to water change weekly. The cost of salt would be astronomical for me...no way.

Some people must have alot of time on their hands to be constantly changing water. F that!

Back