people who go with "almost" no Water Changes needed!

I have 150 gallon total and I do two 5 gallon changes a week. 5 gallons is small enough that it's no big deal. 5 gallon drinking water jugs weigh maybe 45 pounds full.

I do water changes every 3 months or so but I only do like 30gallons when I do. I don't know how people manage to water change weekly. The cost of salt would be astronomical for me...no way.

Some people must have alot of time on their hands to be constantly changing water. F that!

You're Going to the right direction already.

Exactly my point.. the time and money saved and still being succesfull..
How long would that hobby last???

Soon 12 years no water changes
dba8663f1e61a14b99ee6c0189577605.jpg

Happy Reefing, GlennF

So what are you doing instead of water change. How do you remove nutrients and what kind of supplement and how much feeding? Was there any corals or anemones that you cannot keep. We're there any that just grow out of control?

I do water change but t every time I do water change Dino start to grow and gradually die off until my next water change. If I was going to grow, Dino I would say that water change is essential for growth

So what are you doing instead of water change. How do you remove nutrients and what kind of supplement and how much feeding? Was there any corals or anemones that you cannot keep. We're there any that just grow out of control?

I do water change but t every time I do water change Dino start to grow and gradually die off until my next water change. If I was going to grow, Dino I would say that water change is essential for growth
This is my tool
It includes controlling all essential water parameters
285be2aee97da4d51bc3efb5034c3a5e.jpg

I prefer not to grow dino's, so no wc for me...

I have 200+ species of corals
The only thing impossible to keep are NPS corals

Happy Reefing, GlennF

Glenn is your calcium usually that low?
I know it's not the end of the world but I'm curious as I like your DSR ideas and have been in research and contact about them.

Corey

This is my tool
It includes controlling all essential water parameters
285be2aee97da4d51bc3efb5034c3a5e.jpg

I prefer not to grow dino's, so no wc for me...

I have 200+ species of corals
The only thing impossible to keep are NPS corals

Happy Reefing, GlennF

Glenn,

I am surprised that you feel you can rely on Salifert Strontium test results. I do not find it dependable.

I did water changes weekly for the first year for my 50gallon tank. Now I hardly do water changes. I only do 5 gallons every 1-3 months. I have lost corals like hammers and a torch, but my zoanthids, and acans thrive. All my fish and inverts are fine as well. I put purple up in my top off water. I also have over 200 pounds of live rock, 2 800gph powerheads, and a bio filter. I never test any chemistry anymore because I'm lazy. Basically if you want to be a lazy reefer, just pick the right animals and corals to put in the tank. I by no means recommend following my advice. The best results come from the best care. I would just stick with zoanthids and hardy fish untill you dedicate yourself. I have had much success with zoas, and I put forth very little effort. Also I put ammonia/nitrate detox in my water change mix. Best of luck.

Same here. I have fish, fire shrimp, huge RBTAs, zoas. Lots of rock and a good skimmer. I was not able to grow any corals, I already gave up on it. I do a lot of water top off. Since nothing consumes the elements, I think all is well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glenn is your calcium usually that low?
I know it's not the end of the world but I'm curious as I like your DSR ideas and have been in research and contact about them.

Corey
These were random values. Just to show how the calculator work.

Happy Reefing, GlennF

Glenn,

I am surprised that you feel you can rely on Salifert Strontium test results. I do not find it dependable.
I know....
There were some batches with very poor reagents (the turning of the color in step4 was not very clear.
I tested a good working one with reference and that worked just fine.

Happy Reefing, GlennF

Same here. I have fish, fire shrimp, huge RBTAs, zoas. Lots of rock and a good skimmer. I was not able to grow any corals, I already gave up on it. I do a lot of water top off. Since nothing consumes the elements, I think all is well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sent you a PM with some questions about your RBTA. :)

i have a 32g biocube with a little biocube skimmer.i run a canister filter with uv light.a 5 g water change was done only once in the last 6-8 weeks.i plan to keep it that way.i test for parameters twice a week.other than my recent cyano outburst things have been stable

:fish1: I like doing my water changes, it's fun going out in the boat, collecting my water and hopefully a few fish for dinner, coming home and cleaning the boat and gear is not a whole lot of fun, but it's part of the process of boating and fishing, or diving. I then drain water from the sump and refuge into a floor drain, and pump water from boat which is in the garage, back into the tank. Adding all the trace elements to your system to replace the ones your system uses, just doesn't seem like as much fun as going out in the boat. But if you are landlocked and far from a clean supply of NSW, then your system is a lot easier then doing water changes, unless you have an automated, water change system, especially if you live in a cold winter climate. :fish1:

i have a 32g biocube with a little biocube skimmer.i run a canister filter with uv light.a 5 g water change was done only once in the last 6-8 weeks.i plan to keep it that way.i test for parameters twice a week.other than my recent cyano outburst things have been stable
Any chance of a Picture of your tank with inhabitants?

Back