Petsmart dollar per gal sale!

Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for a 20 gallon long tank.

Does anybody know if these are tempered or not? I want to plumb it from the back panel (not bottom).

I found this link - the answer is kind of ambiguous.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/education/faq/

"Can I drill holes in my aquarium for external filters?

Maybe, many of our aquariums are made with tempered glass in the bottom. Tempered glass cannot be drilled. Non-tempered glass panels may be drilled by a qualified technician. In some cases, you may special order All-Glass aquariums pre-drilled with the MegaFlow or Twin-Flow overflow systems. You could also special order, in some cases, an aquarium with non-tempered glass if you wanted to have it drilled outside of our facility. If you have an older tank that you want to drill, don’t take any chances - if you are not sure that the glass is non-tempered, do not drill it."

Last edited:
Bottoms are definitely tempered, sides - probably not, but... who knows. I recently destroyed a really old 55g glass tank I had no more use to, and just was ready to throw a hammer through it as it sat on the garbage can, hammer bounced off the side pane like it was made of rubber, a few more hard whacks and whoops, it was tempered, in fact all 5 sides were.

I did an online order with pickup and got extra 10% off plus I was only charged the actual amount not the full retail

20gallon - $20 - $2 = $18 + $1.53 (8.5%) = $19.53

It depends upon how price is set at the register, IIRC, if it's a rebate that's applied at the time of purchase it's treated like a mail-in-rebate in which case you pay full price taxes and then the rebate is applied (regardless of how the receipt looks which always puts the taxes at the end) if it's simply the store (or manufacturer) selling at a discounted rate then it's not taxed at the full price. Unfortunately since it's the same brand as the Petco sale it's probably treated as the former where the manufacturer is reimbursing the store a part of the sale, but they're not paying the sales tax on that, so you will pay full sales tax.

It's something you normally don't notice because either 1) It's at a supermarket and coupons you use are for food which itself is not taxable, or 2) it's not such a huge discount that most will not stop and do the math on it, where as the 40G version cost about 3x more, so that's 3x more taxes, so your $40 purchase will have about $10 in taxes which is more noticeable and seems like you're being taxed at a rate of 25%.

I purchased it online and had the same math (different tax) as imjedi76

20gallon: $20 - $2 = $18 + $1.62 (TAX) = $19.62

Yeah the online route seems to be the way to go, since their system might be set up in a "I don't care, since we don't see that money anyways" type of fashion, and might just expect you to file a "use tax" on your state income tax return (which we know everyone does :D), I mean that's what everyone did with Amazon before they started collecting sales taxes right?? :)

thanks for posting this.. i just picked up a tank on the way home.
i only saw at petsmart tanks in 10s, 20s and 40s.

Back