PH controller on a Calc reactor

Wow and what's the noise level like? I already have a masterflex but this isn't a bad backup option. Mh masterflex is a beat up older than dirt brushed model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At little OT but there are some CaRx that don't use PH as a control. Dastaco and Pacific Sun are 2 that come to mind. It seems they use a water level sensor to control the amount of CO2 in the reactor. Anyone know how they work?

Is it essential that it be continuous flow? Can a typical doser suffice?

Problem with a typical doser is running them that much and the pressure or lack of that they produce. As I said, the idea is to get enough flow through the reactor. I would estimate that the minimum people typically use is about 25ml/min and that can go up from there depending on the system size, coral growth etc. Most typical dosers won't hold up to the usage which is why a continuous duty doser is typically recommended. Also a typical doser has much smaller diameter tubing which means that the doser will have to run harder to handle the flow and some may not generate enough flow to keep up with a tanks needs. These Litermeters aren't your typical dosers though. The Litermeters are much more reliable than most dosers and they also use tubing that connects right up to 1/4" and even have a 1/4" John Guest connection on the pressure side.

Wow and what's the noise level like? I already have a masterflex but this isn't a bad backup option. Mh masterflex is a beat up older than dirt brushed model

They are pretty quiet. More quiet that a brushed version of the Masterflex and would be a good backup pump for your Masterflex. You can't been the fine control over flow that the Masterflex offers and if you already have a Masterflex, I would continue running it but these will work well too.

Slief - When you do your own testing can you post up a detailed write up on here. If you have already please put up the link as I have missed it.

I am interested in this as it is small and quiet as opposed to masterflex for my setup. Plus I seem to never find those steals of a deal others do when it comes to masterflex. To actually have a warranty in a unit is a MUCH added bonus as well.

I just want to know what is all required in the setup. It seems it would be simple but a wirte up before I pull the trigger would be awesome.

Slief - When you do your own testing can you post up a detailed write up on here. If you have already please put up the link as I have missed it.

I am interested in this as it is small and quiet as opposed to masterflex for my setup. Plus I seem to never find those steals of a deal others do when it comes to masterflex. To actually have a warranty in a unit is a MUCH added bonus as well.

I just want to know what is all required in the setup. It seems it would be simple but a wirte up before I pull the trigger would be awesome.

My plan is to do a set video on it. I hope to get that done over the holiday sometime between XMAS and New Year and will start a thread in the lighting section as well as posting a link to it in the Spectrapure sponsor forum here. If I remember, I will also post a link in this thread.

I don't plan on switching out my Masterflex as I have a high end late model brushless one which I absolutely love. Instead, I will use my calcium reactor for the video and install the Spectrapure pump in place of the Masterflex temporarily so i can do the setup and overview video.

Yeah I would not consider the spectrapure as a replacement for a working masterflex if you have one. What I do think though is that for those of us getting going in calcium reactor the spectrapure is likely 90% of the way there for 1/2 the cost and a warranty which are both strong selling features.

Yeah I would not consider the spectrapure as a replacement for a working masterflex if you have one. What I do think though is that for those of us getting going in calcium reactor the spectrapure is likely 90% of the way there for 1/2 the cost and a warranty which are both strong selling features.

I couldn't agree more! :beer:

20 years Ca Reactor user. never owned a ph controller. I use a liter meter 3 pump to feed it and its been doing that for 20 years. Whoever says ph probes don't sway has not ever worked in a lab. on the PH probe the slime buildup will affect readings, unless you keep the probe it totally clean and constantly calibrated the ph controller could kill your tank off much more easily than not using one. I don't see the point, if you understand the tanks chemistry its totally an item that is not needed

20 years Ca Reactor user. never owned a ph controller. I use a liter meter 3 pump to feed it and its been doing that for 20 years. Whoever says ph probes don't sway has not ever worked in a lab. on the PH probe the slime buildup will affect readings, unless you keep the probe it totally clean and constantly calibrated the ph controller could kill your tank off much more easily than not using one. I don't see the point, if you understand the tanks chemistry its totally an item that is not needed

Most people don't use pumps like the Masterflex or Litermeter to feed their calcium reactors. Most people use much larger pumps like Maxijets and depend on a pinch valve to control the effluent flow rate which pretty much always results in effluent lines clogging. For those users a pH controller is prudent and not using will can kill your tank. Especially given that the reactor pH will plummet when the flow slows down. The pH controller serves as a failsafe and while it may not be needed for those of us with controllable feed pumps, I would never recommend not having one especially for those who don't use pumps like you or I. I'd also note that most people who read this thread don't have decades of experience with calcium reactor like you or I and as such, they are more likely to run into issues without the controller. Especially since the only other way to know what is going on inside the reactor is to test the alk as well as that of the tank far more frequently than monitoring the reactor pH.

And yes, pH probes can sway. That is why most of us test our probes regularly using pH calibration solution and calibrate as needed.

Last edited:
So if I use a good feed pump I can do away then without a ph controller?

Catch 22.. I recommend a pH controller if for nothing else than the failsafe. At the very least, you do want to monitor pH in the reactor but especially in the short term a pH controller is very useful in insuring that your pH doesn't get too low in the reactor. You can turn your media into mush in a hurry if the reactor pH gets too low not to mention increase the alk beyond what is desireable and lower the pH in the display. It also takes some time to get a feel for flow rates vs Co2 rates even with the best pump and regulator. As such, the pH will controller will absolutely come in handy.

Thanks for all your help. I will wait it out and use a maxi jet until I am ready for a decent pump.
I will try and use a john guest valve and tubing for the effluent..

Back