pH Help

Drock169

Hi, I'm relatively new to marine nano reefing and needs some help. I recently purchased a 14g Bio Cube and am having trouble with pH stability. I have live sand in it and live rock, but the bottom inch or two above the substrate is very acidic, pH around 5.8 while the rest of the tank is stable at about 8.1. I tried using some airstones to increase the circulation near the back of the tank but it doesnt seem to be working. I'm going to try a water change and try siphoning the water out but help is definitely appreciated.

[welcome]

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but the water in the tank will all have the same pH if there's any circulation at all. How is pH being tested? I assume the pump for the Bio-Cube is running? If so, the pH can't be 5.8 at the bottom of the tank. The sand and rock would dissolve.

I'm using an American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor. Whenever I lower it near the bottom it read a low pH and i'm not sure why. The stock pump is running, as well as the lights. In some areas there are tiny pieces of live rock.

I'm using an American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor. Whenever I lower it near the bottom it read a low pH and i'm not sure why. The stock pump is running, as well as the lights. In some areas there are tiny pieces of live rock.

Alright i just mixed up a batch of sea water for a water change and the same thing is happening in the bucket. I'm using distilled water, and kent red sea salt. 6.68 at the bottom and 8.2 anywhere above the bottom two inches.

There must be something going wrong with the probe when you extend it down to the bottom. What made you decide to measure the bottom? My suggestion is to find another meter to see if you get the same readings.

That's a measurement problem. Electrical interference is common with pH probes, but this malfunction is very strange. It still might be electrical inteference, I guess. Try measuring a cup of water well away from the tank.

I've tried measuring it in other area, for some reason it seems to only be at the bottom of either the bucket or the aquarium, when its about 10" under water. I'm currently monitoring the live rock i think is dissolving by taking pictures, just to make sure that its not just in my head. 2 levels of pH doesnt really make sense to me.

Hi bertoni, I think you right about a measurement device problem. I inspected the probe and there appears to be a kink in the wire, possibly from when the lid closes. There may be a tiny hole or something that could be causing the readings to be off, I'll buy a new probe within in the next week or so, thanks very much for the help

Back