Ph?

ERTLEY

What can i dose in evap. water that will not affect the ALK?I just set up a DYI calcium reactor and my ph is 8.0..I would like it to be atleast 8.2. Or will the reactor itself balance ph? Once i get the set rate on the ractor,will it balance itself out? Any help appreciated!Thanks in advance....Tom

There's nothing that can be dosed to raise pH that won't change the alkalinity, well, not that's safe, anyway. The pH might settle at a higher level when the calcium reactor is done with any tuning, although low pH is common with CO2-driven calcium reactors.

8.0 isn't that bad, if that's the daily low. A pH measurement taken in the morning before lights go on likely would be the low. This article covers low pH problems in detail:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

A common solution is to drip limewater as topoff and tune the reactor back a bit to compensate. Sometimes, more aeration helps, too.

ok thanks i'll see where it goes after i tune reactor....but one more thing....my ph in my evap is 7.4 would that affect ph in the tank?or should the cal. reactor eventually balance that if i continue to drip just ro without lime or anything else..in your opinion?

I'm not sure what you mean by evap. Do you mean top-off water? The pH of topoff water is not important.

Back