Phosban?

bowfront

10 & Over Club
Anybody using this stuff specifically with leather corals in the tank.
It's ferric oxide hydroxide unlike some of the older alumina based products like Phosgard and Kent's Phosphate sponge. Those products always drove my leathers nuts causing them to close for weeks every time I tried them. This looks to be packaged dry unlike Rowaphos that is also ferric oxide hydroxide but packaged wet. I noticed that it's pretty easily available on line. Here's the logo for Phosban from TLF.

PhosBanâ„¢
Take care of your phosphate problem with PhosBan, Julian Sprungââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s Formula of ferric oxide hydroxide granules. PhosBan binds large quantities of phosphate, nearly 3x more capacity by weight than wet ferric hydroxide adsorbants. And it is completely reef safe, unlike alumina-based adsorbants. PhosBan also adsorbs organic compounds and other pollutants, and doesnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t release anything back into the water, even when fully saturated. PhosBan gives long-lasting control of phosphate levels for a clean aquarium and enhanced growth of hard and soft corals. PhosBan Phosphate Adsorption Media. Problem solved.

Thanks Joe, I saw that thread earlier today when I did a search. I have some Phosban on order and was just wondering how my leathers are going to react to it. Sounds like the ferric oxide products are working at least for some people pretty well. I'm just recently running a Ca/CO2 reactor and trying to keep phosphate to a minimum so thought I would try this new product out.

bowfront said:
I have some Phosban on order and was just wondering how my leathers are going to react to it. Sounds like the ferric oxide products are working at least for some people pretty well. I'm just recently running a Ca/CO2 reactor and trying to keep phosphate to a minimum so thought I would try this new product out.

It should really be used on all Ca reactor effluents, I'm sure there will soon be a "post Ca reactor modules" packed with the host of GFO's available to the market soon. :) Your leather corals will thank you for it and show their gratitude with great polyp extension. You may want to run the effluent to a bucket or drain first, there can be some some cloudy water off the GFO's when first flushed.
Joe

Thanks again, that's music to my ears. I was thinking about running the reactor effluent through GFO just as you and others are doing. Do you think I would get much benefit from just dripping the effluent on top of an above water bag of GFO or would it be best to rig a canister or fluidized filter of sorts to feed the effluent into?

bowfront said:
Thanks again, that's music to my ears. I was thinking about running the reactor effluent through GFO just as you and others are doing. Do you think I would get much benefit from just dripping the effluent on top of an above water bag of GFO or would it be best to rig a canister or fluidized filter of sorts to feed the effluent into?

You certainly don't want to fluidize a GFO in the normal sense of a fluidized sand filter bed. I think the best way to run it, especially since it will be such a small volume of water/hr. is to hook up something similar in design to the Aquarium Pharmeceuticals DI filters where you run the water up through the media so it saturates the GFO. A canister should work fine as well, the lower pH "should" keep the media from cementing.
Joe

That's what I meant by fluidized was just to pump the effluent from below and up through the GFO so yes something along the lines of the DI filter that you mention could be adapted or one of the media canisters. Good that's what I'll work on. Thanks again.

Justjoe said:
Your leather corals will thank you for it and show their gratitude with great polyp extension.
Joe

This guy had be closed for extended periods of time and when it did open, the polyps were real tight. Since using Phosban, this and many other corals, anemones, etc have really relaxed and are opening fully now.
I have some samples being tested to see what other metals the GFO's may remove as well.
Joe

Justjoe said:
This guy had be closed for extended periods of time and when it did open, the polyps were real tight. Since using Phosban, this and many other corals, anemones, etc have really relaxed and are opening fully now.
I have some samples being tested to see what other metals the GFO's may remove as well.
Joe
Got a little trigger happy there...:(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=1249454#post1249454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justjoe
Joe
Joe- got any results from those tests that you would be willing to share? :)

Back