Phosphate Problem. help!

IMO, GFO changed every day and regenerated until phosphate is gone. Careful though, the chemicals required are a little nasty.

I was in the same boat . Purchased the seakleer and followed the thred here on reefcentral. I had hair algae out the wazoo. I did not loose any livestock tank is a nem setup.It doesnt work over night and you must be patient.
GO SLOW DOSING

You might try contacting mr.wilson on here. He has some experience with lanthanum chloride. He is up in Canada as well and may be able to help to source what you need.

IMO, GFO changed every day and regenerated until phosphate is gone. Careful though, the chemicals required are a little nasty.

Hopefully I'm not jacking the thread--

If we are changing the GFO every day, would we be able to overdose and change every 2 or 3 days? I just started running GFO and GAC through a reactor and I'm playing a serious game of catch-up with GHA. Cyano has started to subside, but I fear I may be in it for the long haul. My API test kit reads 0ppm, so I know it's at least less than .2 ppm.

Josh

Yes, that'd work, as long as the corals didn't react badly to any sudden change in the water parameters. I'd ramp the amount up slowly.

It's hard to say how often gfo should be changed . Certainly more gfo will work faster than less. Change out depends on when it exhausts which depends on the actual PO4 in the water. Testing the gfo reactor effluent PO4 level and comparing it to the tank water level gfo should give you a clue as to whether or not your gfo is still adsorbing PO4.

Back