Photo of the day (one image per post)

sGVi4i8.jpg

My first trip out of state since pandemic.
Taken from Kerry Park.

MMSKc2Zh.jpg

Rare Seattle clear day, can see Mt. Rainier in background

zZ0pQP1h.jpg

Mt. Rainier zoomed in

Well done d0ughb0y, both for getting out and taking pics. I like the Seattle with space needle and Ranier shot #1. Did you consider a wider aspect ratio? It could work well there.

I also like the Rainier "floating" above Seattle and Seattle night shots.

Nice composition on the park shot with tree top center and the geese in the bottom corners. It looks a bit hot to me. I might have reduced exposure a tad, but it's full sun shot, so that's tough, especially with interesting detail (geese) in the more shadowy parts.

I am going to Montana soon as my first post pandemic trip and look forward to shooting while I'm there.

Thanks.
Seattle is not fully open yet, they open June 30, so not too crowded (Pike's Place Starbucks line was only 30-45 minutes instead of 2 hours!) and plane was half full.
The pics were taken using iphone 12 pro max.
The composition for first pic is copied from standard Seattle postcard, though I read you need a clear day to get Mt Rainier in the picture. The last few days I was there was all cloudy and raining.

Have fun in Montana. I've never been there other than driving through part of the state on the way to Yellowstone many years ago.

36-01-Seattle-Skyline-Postcard.jpg

Where did everybody go?

Macro of Dahlia Philip Mingus Sr in my backyard. I like how the yet to open center looks like a mouth and the petal tips teeth. "Feed me Seymour!"

Mingus Philip Sr 3 wm.jpg

Mill Creek in Montana. I wasn't excited to be shooting basically into the sun, but the lens hood saved me and I am pleased with the result. My timing was good with deer crossing.

Mill Creek 2021 06 26 wm.jpg

As always, I welcome constructive criticism. Please help me grow as a photographer.

Still shooting with my trusty 6D and decent collection of RF lenses. Haven't had the budget for a new mirrorless back and thousands more for RF lenses.

Conceptually (as you heard me ponder years ago), I see mirrorless generally replacing dslrs. The beauty of dslrs was being able to see what the sensor will see with the mirror reflecting light up to the viewfinder. No parallax. No guessing if the shot was properly framed. With digital sensors and electronic view finders, the need for the mirror has been eliminated, resulting in a lighter and somewhat more compact back.

Food for thought - Will future cellphones with even more capable computational photography built in replace the need for any other image capture devices for consumers? Even relatively new mirrorless backs will be obsoleted, faster than dslrs have been, with the ever increasing pace of technological advancement. Sure, specialty situations will likely call for something else, but for the consumer who thinks current cellphone shots, always in portrait mode, with applied filter(s), are the bomb, maybe the cellphone will be more than enough? In our pursuit of convenience over quality, I think so.

First the dalhia, yes I see the teeth. Very nice. On Mill Creek, Love it. It could be a place to hang. I could see a predatory bird hanging out in that dead tree. Very nice!!!

Thanks Jesse.

I DO enjoy hanging around Mill Creek. It's the northern border of my mother's property, and just part of the beauty there. It varies in flow from raging to dry every year and when flowing dumps into the Yellowstone River.

I always schlepp my laptop, tripod, dslr and a couple lenses when visiting Mom. :)

BTW, one visit there were 5 bald eagles in that dead tree! There was a deer carcass in the creek and the eagles feasted for a couple days. I may have a not great shot of that somewhere...

Yes! All hail the mantis. Cool shot. Nice color contrast.

Next time please ask it to look more directly at the camera. ;)

Back