Pic of my new 29 gallon finally getting going advice?

roushrcing26

hey guys any advice would help what do you think would make my tank better beside a skimmer lol just click on the attachment! Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2011-06-12 14.49.54.jpg
    2011-06-12 14.49.54.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
Here is just my .02 cents.

1. Paint the back, I like black
2. I'm not sure how you're using your power filter. If it's being used as it is intended, it's worthless. Bio-wheels aren't good. But if you are using it as a very small fuge, then it's ok. But you could do better. I have a 29 and modified a hang on fuge/skimmer combo to be just a plain fuge. It is fed by a pump inside of the fuge that first runs water through a TLF's phosban reactor. It's a really slick set up, and fits perfectly behind the tank, with room for my skimmer to hang off the back as well.
3. I don't know what powerheads you have in there, but it looks like 2. You could always use more flow.

1. How can i make it black without taking the water out

2. Filter is only being used for water movement i just bought a aqua euro nano skimmer 1 how can i make filter into fuge easily like what r the basics

3. The powerhead on the right does 500 gallons per hour and the other 1 does 150 gallons per hour also the filter creates a lot of flow my corals are moving good do you still think that's not enough?

1. Without taking the water out, id say the only way is a background bought at a LFS.

2.Is the nano skimmer a hang on skimmer? If not how do you plan on integrating it into the system? The filter you have now can be used for either A. carbon, purigen, ect. or B. Converted into a DIY fuge like this aquaclear was http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=726185 or you can buy an already crafted HOB Fuge.

3. You could use more flow, but you only seem to have a frogspawn some xenia and some zoas/shrooms so i wouldnt worry to much about this if you have them placed right. If you go into more corals and some harder to care for ones your going to need more flow. The tank looks very clean though and free of algea but this could be because its such a new setup. Lack of flow can cause algea especially when theres no nutrient export so thats something to think about.

what type of light are you using? nice tank and wish you the best of luck with it!

1. Its a hang on skimmer

2. It is a torch coral and i got a hammer too if i point the powered anywhere else it pushes them to one side

3. I am using the aqua lunar corallife t5 4bulbs with leds 31 watt bulbs.

4. Im starting to get green spots in the rock how do i stop the algae from spreading

IME, with euphyllia like torches and frogspawn, less flow is better than more flow. I have a big group of them (5 torches, 1 frogspawn, 2 hammer) in my 40 LPS tank, and they open up best under lower flow. the flow is fine; so long as the water is moving, the surface is agitated, and you're cyano-free, there's really no need to increase flow in any tank. unless you're noticing dead spot or keep SPS.

the filter could be used to hold carbon and/or some filterfloss to catch detritus; if you want to convert it to a 'fuge, all you'll need is a small light of some sort, and some cheato to put inside.

if you have algae, your cleanup crew should take care of it. all new tanks go through an algae stage where they look like crap, I've been through more than my fare share, and have found the only thing you can really do is just wait it out.

Back