pico skimmer?

brackish10

does anyone know of a skimmer i could use with my fluval spec v? the biocube one i got was too bulky. id like to put it in my 1g hob breeder/fuge if i could find one small enough. i cant seem to get control of this algae issue and i suspect skimming may help.

For something that small.... I can't imagine a skimmer being useful. BUT if you want to add one, by all means, make your own. Even the piccolo is HUGE on a 1g tank.

Gnome maybe but yeah, 50% water changes are probably more effective although it would be a pain to match parameters.

I still like to use a very small skimmer on a small water volume. Water changes are always an option but stability is easier with a tiny skimmer.

Then make your own. Wood block with some airline. Slap er in a small acrylic tube and let er eat.

Which is essentially all the Biocube skimmer is. Not really sure how it was "too bulky"... doesn't get much smaller than that.

Small DIY skimmers work well, but the lack of removable cup makes cleaning such a pain. Definitely think about making cleaning easy if you build one.

For a skimmer that small, I would skip a collection cup to cut down on profile and just have a remote skimmate reservoir so it doesn't look terrible.

I have had them both ways and there are advantages to both. A removable cup makes cleaning super easy. remote skimmate reservoir can be nice and discrete but cleaning those little skimmer tops and tubes is a pain when they fill with gunk. Many designs require your to remove the whole skimmer.

not going to argue about it. I suggest you choose for yourself. Try having both a small skimmer with removable cup and a 1" tube where you remove the whole assembly to clean and see which one you find yourself procrastinating on.

I'm sure you have more experience on it than I do.... but I just see myself running my finger once around the inside wall, washing my hands, then moving on.

post-16489-1263385266_thumb.jpg

...but on a smaller scale.

Back