Pictures - 800 gallon reef - 7+ years in operation

Or at least managed to spam the hell out of it like every other thread he's subscribed to...

No offense meant JOHNboy, but seriously...

SOMEthinsFISHY said:
GOOD BYE !

Johnboy, I think you have to understand. There are a lot of people who subscribe to a lot of threads here on RC, and while they want to be notified up changes in the thread, they dont' really want to be notified because you think someones avatar is cool, and they don't want to be notified that you've posted 3 times because you were impatient with the mouse clicks. I subscribe to a fair number of the ongoing threads here on RC that are over 20 pages, several of them 80 pages. I like to see what people have to say about these ongoing projects and the additions that the thread owners make to their tanks. It's very informative and helps me gain a handle on where I might take my own tank. I do this so that I learn from others failures and tiumphs. It's frustrating though when I sit down to find that a thread has 3 new replies to it, but none of them are about the subject the thread was started about. I think what your peers are trying to say, is slow down, there is no need to comment on everything. Absorb more and make your posts count. When you've got a comment or question about the topic at hand, by all means post it, but be patient and try to make sure it's on topic.

I am not trying to bash you dude, so please don't think ill of me. I'm only trying to explain why I think our peers posted what they did about you and your posting habits. They were talking about the Bar next to hcrk's tank (pictured previously in the thread), and you assumed they were talking about your tank (I would assume you thought from your avatar).

We cool with each other? I'm not trying to beat up on you, just trying to help you understand. I've got no problem with you, you just need to consider why other people come here. Hang in there.

Awesome Tank

Awesome Tank

Amazing Tank
Very well planned:)
More stock and bio load then a regular LFS .
Congrats Without prying or wanting to be rude in anyway (You dont have to answer this) Considering how well you planned this setup did you have a budget that you worked on ? Whats did you allow to build this monster?.
Totally inspiring thanks for sharing your acre of reef.;)
Mia

JazzMan said:
Do you have a website that chronicles this tank?
No, I'm afraid that I don't.

miareefer said:
Congrats Without prying or wanting to be rude in anyway (You dont have to answer this) Considering how well you planned this setup did you have a budget that you worked on ? Whats did you allow to build this monster?.
Totally inspiring thanks for sharing your acre of reef.;)
Mia
I really did not have a set budget.
Fortunately, I have a very understanding wife, who shares my interests and does not complain about the ongoing costs.
Also, I do most tasks myself which certainly helps keep the costs down.

maxpower2112 said:
hcrk do you have any updates for us. We need more, much more!!!:rollface: :rollface: :rollface:
As I have recently been paying some attention to my 2 other aquariums (one shown in one of the pictures that I posted previously and the other located at my work), I will post pictures of both in the near future.
I will also provide an update on the big tank.

BiG_FiSH83 said:
OUTSTANDING TANK(S)!!! I like the aquascaping in the 225, it must have been as nice as the 800 when it was a full-blown reef. Im wondering what its dimensions (the 225) are, (l*w*h) And the whole basement area has a wonderful design, I cant fathom what your main house looks like!!! Id never leave te basement anyway, Id just stare at the tanks all day............. :)
If I recall correctly, the dimensions of the 225 are ....72"L x 24"w x 30" tall.
It sits quite high so it actually looks larger than it is.
There is also a mirror in the back that creates an illusion of depth.

For me, my home is very special as it essentially is a very personal creation that is tailored to my needs.
In fact, the aquariums are but one of the many features of my home.
To illustrate, I am attaching a picture of my "backyard".
....and yes, apart from the digging of the ponds and the carpentry work, I am responsible for everything that you see in the picture (including all aspects of the the design and maintenance).

IMG_1043a.jpg

firereefer said:
where did you guys buy those paintings??
On one of our trips to Maui (Hawaii)

Narkon said:

And no it really isn't our business what you do for a living.
(Even if curiousity is high), but where you live is a question,
I know is burning my mind. And it isn't to visit your tank,
just where you have a cellar that large. You must not live in
a swamp thats for sure.
To Narkon and the many many others who have enquired about me......

I'd love to respond fully. There really shouldn't be anything to hide. However, given some unfortunate experiences in the past and the fact that the internet has it's share of "characters", I prefer not to provide any personally identifiable information.
While I know full well that 99.8% of those following this thread are people that would respect my privacy, the sad fact is that it just takes a very few "characters" to create problems and complications........
To give a specific example, several years ago pictures of my garden appeared in a national magazine. The sad fact is that, for months thereafter, "strangers" would just appear in my garden with their families. The intrusions only stopped after I installed locks on the garden gates in order to discourage "uninvited guests".

Last edited:
Unbelieveable. People shock me all the time with their actions. Did you ever mention what country you are in? That seems safe enough to share, unless you live in Lichtenstein. :D

presenting stuff like this can be a double-edged sword... i'd personally rather hear more about the tank and less about someone's life, but people are always gonna ask "dang, how'd you afford all of this?" rather than just sit back and ask technical questions related to the tank.

anyways, what amazes me most about large tanks like this and that 850 gallon tank up in oregon is how real they look, in fact it's almost surreal to have something like that in your own house.

i like that 'hcrk' wanted a "window into the ocean" - a truly hard task that has been pretty much accomplished. very large tanks like this just seem to work really well, the sand is always clean, the water clarity is pristine, the animals are thriving.

hcrk said:

To give a specific example, several years ago pictures of my garden appeared in a national magazine. The sad fact is that, for months thereafter, "strangers" would just appear in my garden with their families. The intrusions only stopped after I installed locks on the garden gates in order to discourage "uninvited guests".

That is a classic one :D :D :D :D

Back