Pictures - 800 gallon reef - 7+ years in operation

I also have some questions if you could find the time to answer them it would be greatly appreciated!

1) I would also like to know what you are feeding your fish (frozen and the flake) and how often you are feeding them.

2) What is your light cycle currently?

3) How often and how much are your water changes?

Thanks!

Please continue to post to this thread. IMO it is much easier to ask answer question instead of jumping between threads.

I would also be interested in how you physically work on a tank that large for placing new livestock, pruning or moving pieces, and the likes. I presume you have various kinds of poles, pincers and gaffs in addition to arm-length gloves? Do you have a platform that mounts over the top for you to lie upon over the water surface? Etc.

THEN & NOW:

A. Given it's size, the aquarium and sump were both assembled on-site. The stand was also fabricated in two pieces which were bolted together on site.
Transporting the stand and glass down a circular staircase presented quite a challenge. After a few hours of trying (with a total of seven men participating) we were finally required to disasemble part of the staircase itself (the oak sindles and handrails were temporarily removed) in order to get the largest pieces into the basement.

THEN - 7+ Years Ago:
Transporting panes of glass through basement entrance hall
oic_4b.jpg

NOW - The basement entrance hall today:
IMG_0775.jpg

THEN - 7+ Years Ago:
Bottom sheet of glass on stand. This picture gives you a sense of the scale of the aquarium. Note that the sump was then assembled in the space directly under the main tank.

Main Aquarium:
- 120"l x 45"w x 35"h
- all Glass
- front pane = Starfire Glass
Sump:
- 120"l x 36"w x 18"w
- all Glass
Stand :
- custom fabricated - reinforced steel
oic_2a.jpg

NOW - The same location today:
IMG_1026.jpg

THEN - 7+ Years Ago:
This picture provides an overview of this area of the basement. Notice the mirrored column in the center of the picture which also appears in "The same location today" picture below.
oic_1b.jpg

NOW - The same location today:
IMG_0987.jpg

Wow!! Awesome!! Not only is the tank nice, the room is great. That entrance hall is amazing too. Your entire house must be incredible.

Wowzer, Great job indeed. Love the before and after pictures, really gives you a nice idea on how things have progressed. Waiting for the behind the scene (skimmer, sump, etc) pictures.

By the looks of it, you've got a side door that goes behind the tank. How much room is back there? In the one picture, it only looks like you've got about 1' or so, unless you broken that wall behind it down.

Great job again!

Very nice.... how much room is between the wall and the back of the tank. In the pic the tank looks to be against the back wall? Also where and what type of skimmer are you using. Lights, what about the lights?

Thanks for taking the time to share this incredible tank.

It goes to show that you may have something nice, but someone always has something nicer.

INCREDIBLE!

Being a RE broker in LA I have seen many homes. I have to say your home is as unique as it is impressive!!! If you live in Los Angeles, gimme a call! :D LOL, j/k, but definately one sweet setup you have there.

Very well done. I think I will avoid showing my wife the before and after pictures of your hallway, I have a feeling that the renovations that I am currently doing will need to change.

Cheers!!

Pat

That is one amazing reef tank. I would love to see more pics as well as hear all the details about your tank. BTW, nice bar!!!!:D :D Have you ever thought about charging admition for some relaxation time with a drink in front of the tanks?:D

LIGHTING & ELECTRICAL:

The lighting over the reef consists of:
- 3 x 1000w - 6,000 K
- 3 x 400w - 20,000 k
These pictures also show the supplementary glass "support structure" at the top of the aquarium.
Note that the ceiling and front hatch panel are lined with highly polished aluminum that serve as secondary reflectors.

This picture taken from the elevated walkway behind the aquarium. There are three lindividual ighting fixtures each of which contains one 1000 watt bulb and one 400 watt bulb.

IMG_0956.jpg

This picture was taken from the opposite end of the aquarium. Note the four integrated fans (at the far end) that create significant air-flow over the surface of the aquarium.
Note the hinged hatch on the left which is covered with highly reflective aluminum.

IMG_0970b.jpg

A separate electrical sub-panel was installed to service the lights and pumps.
This sub-panel is situated in a remote service room located approximately 20' from the aquarium.
This room contains the electrical sub-panel, ballasts, timers, the chiller, RO system, 2 vats of replacement water, etc.
The electrical wiring (and some hoses and tubing) run through the ceiling from the remote service room to the aquarium.
All electrical circuits are protected by GFI breakers.
The lights run on 220v and the pumps (11 Iwakis) run on 120v.
I have used mechanical timers for the lights as I find them to be more reliable.
Please note that I have opened the sub-panel and taken the covers off of the ballast boxes for this picture.

IMG_0914.jpg

I will be posting other "behind the scenes" pictures over the next several days.

Back