Pictures - 800 gallon reef - 7+ years in operation

a very nicely stocked bar and a couple nice large aquariums to look at. What more could you ask for!!!

Very nice!!

Cheers!!

Pat

okay let's make a deal--you leave me your house in your will, and i wont kill you and STEAL it, at least not for 6 years until i get out of college :D

everything from your house to your tank is just perfect!!!

ACCESS (at the front of the aquarium):

The design allows for easy access through the use of 2 "doors"; 4 removable "windows";
one 96" hinged "hatch"; and, a 10' elevated walkway at the rear of the aquarium.

In order, in-so-far-as is reasonably practical, to maintain the illusion of a "window on the ocean",
all doors and windows have been disguised through the use of trim and mouldings.

In the following picture I have removed the 4 access windows to the sump. The windows simply lift out.

IMG_0995a.jpg

An 8' hinged access "hatch" installed at the front and immediately above the aquarium allows for easy access
to all forward areas of the aquarium (using a portable stand),

IMG_1074.jpg

ACCESS (at the back of aquarium):

There is approximately 18" of clearance between the back of the aquarium and the adjacent wall.
To permit ready access, a hinged plywood plank (elevated walkway) was installed at the level of the top of the aquarium stand. This allows me to walk
behind the tank that is then located below me (as if the tank was located on the floor). 18" of clearance is sufficient when you are referring to what
essentially amounts to "leg room".
This feature allows for ready access to all rear areas of the reef.
Please note that the elevated walkway folds up in order to allow access to the rear of the sump (which is only very infrequently necessary).

In viewing this picture, please note:

- that a large mirror (120" x 36") was installed on the back wall behind the aquarium. This serves to increase the perception of depth when viewing the tank.
More specifically, a few discrete gaps were left in the back live rock wall which serve to enhance the illusion of debt (in looking through the gaps what viewer
is actually seeing are parts of the back live rock wall reflected some 7' away (4' to the back wall - 18" to the mirror and 18" to back of the aquarium).

- that the elevated walkway is actually on the left and that the 2 areas on the right side of this picture are a reflection and a reflection in a reflection;

IMG_0927a.jpg

Wow! I've been following this thread from the start damn I just completely inadequate.

You deserve a huge congratulations on your success, obviously a lot of preperation and planning went into this tank/room. Just looks awsome.

Very nice idea with the walkway and the mirror.

Are you able to "slide" the metal halides out of the way when accessing the tank?

Yes very, very nice. That is an awesome achievement.

Don't sell the house, since you got so much that would be considered "built in" and would have to be left behind.

Just found the tread today, but have read the whole thing.

Just awe inspiring.

Quite unbelievable! An outstanding achievement.

I can only think of one comparable tank, the guy in London with the 1500g set up.

Like they say 'all you need is space, money, and patience'.

Now, let me go see where I can build an 800g set up in my basement lol

..........JackovSpades

Jackovspades, my wife told me to "get off of the net" after showing this thread to her. She knows that I get bad (read expensive) idea's from this "research":lol2:

SKIMMERS:

The skimming system that I use was custom fabricated for this aquarium.
The system consists of 3 acrylic tubes each of which is 72" tall x 6" in diameter.
Each tube is outfitted with dual venturis. Each set of dual venturis is, in turn, powered by an Iwaki 55RLT.
The entire skimming system is fed from an exterior overflow box and is powered by an Iwaki 30RLT.

IMG_0876a.jpg

The skimmers are located behind one of the doors and immediately adjacent to the aquarium

IMG_0998a.jpg

hcrk. Did you do most of the design work or did you work with a professional to spec out the entire system? Thanks

I have taken several more pictures of components that support my reef and intend to post them shortly.

Thereafter, I would like to post and discuss some thoughts, ideas and conclusions about the operation of large reef systems (and reef systems in general).

Please feel free to ask questions and to contribute.

Are you in the states? I noticed you said something about 'headache pills' and the newspaper article said something about 'tonnes' which lead me to believe you may be somewhere outside the USA?

One of the things nobody has asked you about is what you said in your first post--that you spent a year designing the tank. I would really love to hear some of your thoughts at that time, given the spectacular outcome.
I can't help but thinking that Michael Paletta would have liked to have known about your aquarium when he made his book, 'Ultimate Marine Aquariums': one of the things he asked the respective owners of the reef tank featured is what they would do differently were they to do it all again now--do you have an answer to that question?
To me your aquascaping is something I would like to try to duplicate (someday in a smaller tank)--any tips on what you did there?
Congragulations on a superb acomplishment.

I agree your tank belongs in that book ( I love that book). I have one more question.....How is your structure supported? One of the problems with the "to the top method" is keeping it standing. Did you fasten your live rock together and if so how? Thanks again.

Back