Pictures - 800 gallon reef - 7+ years in operation

Well folks, would you believe that this aquarium has now been in continuous operation for 23 years now (that is since 1997).
I've spent quite some time & effort over that past year or so upgrading this tank and will shortly be posting pictures of how it looks now.
Wondering whether there is anyone out there who actually remembers this thread started in 2003

very nice! congrats!

how about an updated picture? :)

Wow! I haven't gotten an email from Reef Central in years and then this pops up - I both remember this thread and am looking forward to an update!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Well folks, would you believe that this aquarium has now been in continuous operation for 23 years now (that is since 1997).
I've spent quite some time & effort over that past year or so upgrading this tank and will shortly be posting pictures of how it looks now.
Wondering whether there is anyone out there who actually remembers this thread started in 2003

I do remember!

I joined in fall 2003 and remember this thread. That's a long time to stay committed to your tank!

-Eric

I’ve spent quite some time & effort over that past year or so upgrading this tank and will shortly be posting pictures of how it looks now.

I do recollect. (This being my second profile, after the first was lost due to forgetting the password and my e-mail account being reclaimed by the pay-for-services ISP.)
It's nice to see a system in continuous operation for so long.

Misc. Insights Based on my Experience with this Reef Aquarium

Misc. Insights Based on my Experience with this Reef Aquarium

Thought it may be useful to communicate some insights based on my experience in dealing with this one reef for 23 years:
For example:

On the issue of durability, the fact is that I have been using and continue to use 5 Iwaki pumps (with Japanese manufactured motors) on my system..
Incredibly, 4 of the pumps have never been taken off-line and have been working nonstop (24 hours a day) for 23 years.
When I recently noted that the amount of flow being produced by the fifth pump was limited, I took it off line, opened it up and cleaned it. What I discovered was that a small round rubber washer was obstructing flow. Other than that, the unit was absolutely perfect.
In this day and age with disposable everything"˜s, this is just amazing to me.
Frankly, I don't know if the Iwaki pumps that are currently available are being manufactured with the same Quality of work and materials. However, if I were to buy another pump it would definitely be one of these.

On the issue of the longevity of fish in my aquarium, the fact is that I actually still have a couple of fish that have been in this reef tank for in excess of 20 years, including, one convict tang and two blue Chromis. I also have a number of other fish that have been with me for 15 or more years including an assortment of tangs.

On the issue of disease and, specifically ich, The fact is that I have experienced a couple of outbreaks of ich over the past 23 years and I've tried several remedies. Nothing really worked all that well and noticing, that the fish we're not actually very bothered by the ich, I finally just left it alone. It disappeared over time, and I haven't seen any ich for several years.

It was a pleasure to see this notification today. Like others, I haven't been here in years, but I'd love to learn more about how the tank is doing.

Congrat

Hey HCRK, given the horrid conditions in Austin two weeks ago, I am hoping that all of your hard work and prep paid off and you were able to keep the reef intact and stay warm yourself.

hcrk
I have been following your thread since 2004. I was away from the reef world for a while. When I decided to look at some reef stuff, your tank was the only one I wanted to look at. Love your tank and your reef room.

Just reread the entire thread again. hcrk, have you upgraded any of the systems with modern technology that wasn't available when you started? My particular thoughts for upgrades are centered on lighting . There have been huge advancements in LEDs and very specific wavelengths of other lights are available now. Any upgrading or thoughts of upgrading your tank lighting?

Back