Pictures

ACBlinky

Premium Member
As promised... some pictures of the reef's slow progress. I took these with my cell phone, because when I got the camera out to take some decent shots, the batteries died!

FTS:
Peterborough-20121028-00562.jpg

The left side tower:
Peterborough-20121028-00563.jpg

Caves on the right side:
Peterborough-20121028-00564.jpg

Starting to see diatoms on the rockwork and the powerheads:
Peterborough-20121028-00568.jpg

Peterborough-20121028-00566.jpg

I added a few hermits, and they're feasting on the half a shrimp we tossed in the tank to help it cycle!
Peterborough-20121027-00558.jpg

The little nubs on the coral skeleton (top rock, left side) are zoas. Three of them started to open this afternoon - I'm hoping to see their sunny little faces later this week! It looks like they're green, or have green centres. Unfortunately the acropora with bits of clinging flesh is now just a skeleton. I didn't hold out much hope for the little guy, it was 99.5% skeleton with just a few, completely bleached, living polyps and a tiny flap of skin a few milimeters across. A semi-cycling tank is no place for a recovering coral, especially one that's so close to death, and while I'm a bit sad, I'm not at all surprised.

Tank parameters are fine, PO4 is still present but I haven't seen any ammonia or nitrite. The skimmer is producing some lovely (well, truth be told, it's revolting) skimmate. The tank is starting to feel more like a reef and less like a bare box of rocks.

Our son is pestering me for his 'Nemo fish', and we've been watching the movie every day. I'm trying to assemble a stock list, but it's proving quite difficult to choose what I want to keep! Good thing we have ages to decide :D

More updates as exciting things happen!

Back