Pipe fish reef safe?

Mikenroe

Is there a pipe fish that I could keep in my mixed reef? I would like to keep one or two, so any suggestions would be great. However I know that with the high current we need to keep reef aquariums, that might not be possible.

Dragonface pipefish are probably one of the best if its going to be a peaceful tank. What size is the tank in question?

Griffeymarsh" my tank info is at the bottom of my thread, however I have a 160 plus a refugium/sump. A your thinking a dragon face is the best bet. I'll check them out.

Pipefish are reef safe, just make sure the reef is safe for the pipefish. If you have any large LPS or NPS, they could very easily get a hold of the pipefish and kill it.

Pipefish are reef safe, just make sure the reef is safe for the pipefish. If you have any large LPS or NPS, they could very easily get a hold of the pipefish and kill it.

I absolutely agree with this statement. I have had friends report disappearing pipefish in tanks heavily stocked with LPS. While we have never seen a body the suspects seem to be the very large polyped stonies. Also watch out for large corallimorphs such as the elephant ear mushroom. Ive seen one of those guys eat a hippo tang, so I bet larger rhodactis could take out a small pipe.

In my experience blue stripes are the best pipefish for a mixed reef tank. I never lost one to inverts or anemones. Females and pairs are more outgoing than single males.

Back