Pix & ID: Critters that come in your rocks: the good and the bad.

here are some pics hopefully they are clear enough..thank you

Attachments

• 20161003_183040.jpg
    20161003_183040.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20161003_183333.jpg
    20161003_183333.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20161003_183500 (450x800).jpg
    20161003_183500 (450x800).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20161003_204615.jpg
    20161003_204615.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20161003_183942.jpg
    20161003_183942.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
Brian, as best I can tell, your photos are:
1) bristle worm, OK in the tank, some people don't like them but they do clean up
2) tough call, spaghetti worm? do they stringy parts we see go away (pulled in to the center) if you touch them? Or some kind of algae? spaghetti worm is good, algae is bad.
3) yellow sponge, almost any sponge is go in the tank. This one probably doesn't like light and grows on the undersides of your rock.
4) copepods, very good for the tank
5) some kind of a tube worm?

1) yes^
2) spagghetti worm
3) yes^
4) yes of you are talking about the white dots
5) yes its called a spionid worm

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ok! what is this?

Tank has been up and running for about one month now. The live rock was previously live and in a tank or two but has sat for years dry in a storage container. I cycled the rock in a brute trash can for a few months and then brought it into the tank. The tank saw very little cycle. I recently added a few pieces of coral to the tank. Duncan, Frogspawn, Zoas and Fungia. The tank also has various snails and a few hermit crabs.

The "stuff" in question is this:

120REEF-100616%20-%203.jpg

120REEF-100616%20-%205.jpg

And here is a video:

https://youtu.be/wvZks38_MGI

ok! what is this?

Tank has been up and running for about one month now. The live rock was previously live and in a tank or two but has sat for years dry in a storage container. I cycled the rock in a brute trash can for a few months and then brought it into the tank. The tank saw very little cycle. I recently added a few pieces of coral to the tank. Duncan, Frogspawn, Zoas and Fungia. The tank also has various snails and a few hermit crabs.

The "stuff" in question is this:

120REEF-100616%20-%203.jpg

120REEF-100616%20-%205.jpg

And here is a video:

https://youtu.be/wvZks38_MGI

Well, upon further investigation I've identified the unknown "stuff" on the live rock as Cerith Snail eggs. I've linked some pictures below to help others in the event they stumble across this thread looking for information.

eggscerithpartrobot.jpg

eggscerithdirkomatic.jpg

I found this information at this link: The Hitchhikers Guide to Your Aquarium

Seemingly, most pictures will show the snail leaving it's eggs on the glass which initially stumped me as I searched for images of each type of invertebrate in my tank's eggs.

What kind of invertebrates do you have in your tank? An unwanted hitchhiker? What's the diameter of that "egg mass?"

Two questions about hitchhikers in one photo on one rock.

An LFS near me has some incredible "premium" live rock but it's heavy/dense and they charge $11.99/lb. It adds up fast. Well yesterday, the premium tank was empty and the standard tank ($4.99/lb) had a couple of pieces that looked a lot like the premium pieces. They also had some "Zoanthid Rocks" that were essentially covered with Zoas for $60. Well, I spotted a small piece (about 4lbs) that looked good. The barely glanced at it, took it out and wrapped it for me. I'm home and have it in the tank within 20 minutes and after looking, I think I got a steal ($20 for the rock) if I'm right about the hitchikers:

Are the pink things on the left sponges? And are the Zoa/Anenome looking things on the right Palys or Zoas? They look just like my Zoa polyps when closed up, but are much, much bigger and a different color (about 7 or 8 heads total). Thoughts? Did I get a good deal at $20? or meh?

IMG_0514_zpskvrfaw7x.jpg

I think (it's hard to tell from the oic) that the pink think is a sponge and the polyps are probably palys. At $20 for 4 pounds in Boston, that's probably an OK deal. Really good LR from local club members here in SW Florida is more like $3 or $4 a pound.

I think (it's hard to tell from the oic) that the pink think is a sponge and the polyps are probably palys. At $20 for 4 pounds in Boston, that's probably an OK deal. Really good LR from local club members here in SW Florida is more like $3 or $4 a pound.

Thanks. We have some local club members here who occasionally sell for about that. There's just not that much to pick/choose from up this way. Mail order from TSW or somewhere else (usually in Florida) is often the best bet.

I hope I can get your help identifying these strange white tendrils growing on my glass and the back wall of my biocube.

Two of them have appeared to latch onto the foot of my flame scallop, so I am guessing they are not 'friendly'.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC08030_1600.jpg
    DSC08030_1600.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC08038_1600.jpg
    DSC08038_1600.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
Strange growths

Strange growths

Hi
We've recently had an outbreak of white tubular growths in our tank. Initially started off in just the sump but seems to have spread to (only) one side of the tank. They're quite tough, cone shaped where one end "sucks" perpendicular to the glass and looks a little bit like a grain of rice.
We've noticed a few of them in the main tank now and hope that someone can help ID them in case they're something that we don't want.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Strange creature 1.jpg
    Strange creature 1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2300.jpg
    IMG_2300.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
This rock had some algae on it, the snails made quick work of most of it...now there are these little greenish things, some have holes in them...any ideas? The color does not look like the same green as the hair algae...

D90BBEF4-E930-4C70-B8E6-04D298D48DF8_zpsed9gjyaa.jpg

I know I'm late but these look like boring sponges. As in to bore into rock.

I hope I can get your help identifying these strange white tendrils growing on my glass and the back wall of my biocube.

After some more research :reading:, I found out they are the byssal threads produced by the scallop as it attempts to anchor itself somewhere. Silly little bugger likes to hop around the tank to find the best flow.

New and need help ID

New and need help ID

Hello, I am new to the hobby and I am still learning a lot. I bought a biocube 29 off craigslist and the dude gave me a bunch of live rock and sand with it. The problem is, with it came a lot of hitchhikers. I have a ton of vermetid snails, bristle worms, and he did tell me he had aptasia at one point. Anyways, I need help ID this slime. I want to say it's cyanobacteria, but eveytime I google image it, it doesn't look like red slime to me. Also, from what I've seen in pictures, cyanobacteria is mainly in the sand. I don't have this slime in my sand.

20161023_112152_zps3bmrxfjm.jpg.html

20161023_112136_zpsveycnxpm.jpg.html

So something came out of my live rock when i was feeding today....
It seemed to attack my mini bristle when it came out of its hole. It grabbed one the legs of the bristle and seemed to just bite it off.
Is this possibly a baby mantis or something?

1efdf6a67c06da64b1771d364893e1bd.jpg

Also something random ive tried feeding this zooa for three months and today it randomly bite off more than it can chew....
a06b5145acf6b21ea7367d6d5fef219d.jpg

P.s. sorry for the dirty glass... i didnt want to scare anything.... if i need a better pic i can

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Help ID this please

Help ID this please

Please help ID. I'm thinking cyanobacteria but I'm unsure. It's in my rock, none in my sand.

20161023_151306_zpszliawsem_1.jpg

20161023_151408_zpsvzdvarpi.jpg

Back