please help my nem....

h2joe

my new LTA which has been doing great for the past few days looks like total crap today and has this white stringy stuff coming out of the side of its body. what is the recomended thing to do and will anything else harm it...AKA...cleaner shrimp, perc clown, or royal gramma? it looks as though something has chewed a hole in its side and now this stuff is coming out. any info is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Mark

PS would bristle worms cause any probs since i have some fairly large ones in my tank? pics coming later when i get my camara back tonight.

I doubt bristleworms had much to do with it, but they may take advantage of an ailing anemone (but hardly ever a healthy one). However, many folks have anecdotal evidence that cleaner shrimps may be deleterious to anemones. I have never had that problem, but many others have. I think in your case (because the anemone is already injured) the shrimp may opportunistically pick at the ejected filaments, which won't make the anemone any better. I would isolate the anemone by protecting it from fish/shrimp/etc. , watch its behavior and try feeding if possible. Grocery store-style strawberry baskets seem to work well for this purpose.

thanks for the quick response and i was wondering if it would help to move the nem to an area with more flow, less flow or what? also when i feed it how should i go abut it since all its tenticles are deflated at the moment? also please tell me if theres even a chance of it living beofre i get to involved with it. thanks again

Mark

As far as it living, who knows. I do know that many species don't fare well after an event such as yours--it may recover, more likely not. I have seen/heard of individuals (in bad shape) recovering though. Your best bet is to leave it be and simply protect and feed it, hoping it recovers along the way.

If you said the is a hole in ur anemone with stuff coming out of it, it is more likely dying and is just falling apart. You will need to post a pic ASAP! It can kill your livestock if not attended to quickly!

Sam

Back