Please talk me out of putting a clam in my tank

Clams are beautiful additions to any reef aquarium and having one will make you more attractive to women. So...you probably shouldn't get one.

Clams are beautiful additions to any reef aquarium and having one will make you more attractive to women. So...you probably shouldn't get one.

ROFL. It is settled then. I'm switching to a COWLR tank.

"clams only with some live rock". :lolspin:

Oops. Sorry. I forgot to provide an update. I went to see my friend and look at his tank and after hearing his stories about things he had to do after he started with the clams, I decided against it.

Also, the ones he had were kind of bland in color and kind of large. I wanted one of the colorful Maxima clams or something like that, but that was not the case.

I really appreciate the feedback. I think that if I find a small colorful one at some point, I may give it a try, but I will first get past a few projects I'm working on for the house and make sure the tank survives them.

Oops. Sorry. I forgot to provide an update. I went to see my friend and look at his tank and after hearing his stories about things he had to do after he started with the clams, I decided against it.

Also, the ones he had were kind of bland in color and kind of large. I wanted one of the colorful Maxima clams or something like that, but that was not the case.

I really appreciate the feedback. I think that if I find a small colorful one at some point, I may give it a try, but I will first get past a few projects I'm working on for the house and make sure the tank survives them.

What issues did he have after getting them? Curious b/c I want to get one after I get done building my tank and get it established.

What issues did he have after getting them? Curious b/c I want to get one after I get done building my tank and get it established.

It wasn't anything major. Mostly things other folks have already mentioned here.

• If you are not dosing two part, you will probably need to start.
  • Water changes are no longer enough to keep up with the demands the clam adds to the tank
  • The clams moved around his tank a lot and damaged some other delicate corals... not by stinging them, but by dropping them upside down and him not finding them until it was too late.
  • One clam died early on inside the rock work and he didn't find it in time, the pollution on the tank almost caused the tank to crash.

Back