Plumming only ONE PUMP to do EVERYTHING!!??!!

ValhallaReef

I am working on the plumming plans for a new 160 gal (220 gal estimated total system), and I got the idea of having ONE pump do everything.

Basically it would be the return AND I would plum off the discarge to send needed water to all auxiliary systems. Reactors. Skimmer. Return. Refugium. Auto top off (would need a solenoid valve). Algee Scrubber.

All off one external return pump and gate valves to control the flow.

Has anyone ever seen this?
Anything I should consider? Or be concerned about?

Thank you so much!
8e7980f9810d2c546c8a90b664fc4aee.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I am working on the plumming plans for a new 160 gal (220 gal estimated total system), and I got the idea of having ONE pump do everything.

Basically it would be the return AND I would plum off the discarge to send needed water to all auxiliary systems. Reactors. Skimmer. Return. Refugium. Auto top off (would need a solenoid valve). Algee Scrubber.

All off one external return pump and gate valves to control the flow.

Has anyone ever seen this?
Anything I should consider? Or be concerned about?

Thank you so much!

Very possible! People do it all the time.
You mentioned ATO. How would that work? An ATO replaces evaporated water with RODI water. The water from the return is tank water.

Look here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ret....69i57j0l7.13361j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

No problem, just get a pump capable of handling the extra head pressure.
IF you are planning on a DC model you will have to oversize the pump, they don't like head pressure. There are 2 exceptions but $$$$.

No problem, just get a pump capable of handling the extra head pressure.
IF you are planning on a DC model you will have to oversize the pump, they don't like head pressure. There are 2 exceptions but $$$$.
I am wanting to go with a single external pump. The pressure was my largest concern.

Any good way to calculate the flow losses? So I know how much extra flow I need?

On the HOME page here there is a head loss calculator.
Most pumps will have a head pressure chart for head loss. You might have to do a search on the mfg. page.

Your large return pump is connected to or sits in your sump. Your refugium is part of your sump. Your skimmer also sits in a chamber of your sump. Your ATO will have a pump that feeds water up to the sump. You basically have 3 pumps: the little one feeding the ATO system, the one inside your skimmer driving its bubbles, and your big return pump. You'll also find a 'mixing pump' useful to hasten salt water production: a small Tunze is good for that.

In my experience trying to "simplify" and use less pumps has resulted in not simplifying at all. What happens is that flow rates change over time. Reactors build up pressure for example and valves get clogged. this results in flow rates to change to different components driving you crazy and instability in your system. Calcium reactors and skimmers work best with consistent flow rates in my opinion. Media reactors have a specific flow range needed or all your media will be ground to a dust and blown in the tank. I tried it, i woudn't do it again in future builds. Just my opinion.

Any single point of failure isn't the best idea in my opinion. I've been using 2 return pumps for years to avoid a potential crash, especially since I'm away from home a lot.

In my experience trying to "simplify" and use less pumps has resulted in not simplifying at all. What happens is that flow rates change over time. Reactors build up pressure for example and valves get clogged. this results in flow rates to change to different components driving you crazy and instability in your system. Calcium reactors and skimmers work best with consistent flow rates in my opinion. Media reactors have a specific flow range needed or all your media will be ground to a dust and blown in the tank. I tried it, i woudn't do it again in future builds. Just my opinion.

I've done it all with just one pump and won't do it again, for the very same reasons. IMHO, using a few small pumps for reactors works much better long term.

In addition, unless you keep a spare (I had 2 DARTS) to swap out, when your single pump goes out the whole tank stops.

Another way to feed things is off the drain lines to your sump. This is how I feed most things like you listed. You will not need as large a pump saving money on the pump and electricity long term. It costs money to pump water to 6' or higher. Gravity is free.

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense… but Do you think this can be overcome with enough gate valves to properly throttle flow at each location as needed?

Might be a fools game. Each adjustment completely throwing off the flow everywhere else in the entire system…. Take forever to get it right, just for a day and one slips and you have to do it all again.

I only use one pump. It feeds my skimmer, then the water goes to my reverse undergravel skimmer and also feeds my algae scrubber.
I don't have a sump. :)

Back