Po4 and Cyano?

I have a cyano issue and trying to figure out the cause. Could it be my light schedule and spectrum as well?

I have two checkers from Hanna

I have the Hanna HI 736 that reads 1 ppb converted to 0.003 ppm PO4

I have the Hanna HI 774 thats reads 0.03 did I do the conversion right, I know 0.003 not the same as 0.03.

What else should I check?

The light spectrum allegedly can be an issue, but that mostly holds for fluorescent and metal halide bulbs when they age. You might want to check the nitrate level, but unfortunately, chemical tests tend to be inconclusive when it comes to microbial problems. There are lots of species, and some of the pests seem to be adaptable to a range of conditions.

Nitrate isn't showing anything, I am using Red Sea. Could low nutrients be the cause as well? Flow I don't think that is the problem. I am going to try and fix my lighting schedule and see if that fixes issue.

Last edited:
Some people think that low nutrient levels can encourage cyanobacteria, but the issue is fuzzy. Are your corals (if any) doing well?

Nitrate isn't showing anything, I am using Red Sea. Could low nutrients be the cause as well? Flow I don't think that is the problem. I am going to try and fix my lighting schedule and see if that fixes issue.
Try bumping up thr nitrate to maybe 3ppm

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back