Pooky's 300

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14546445#post14546445 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pookstreet
Too much teeth! :D

Then mix it up with some pictures :p

Great thread, great corals. Love the tank, the concept and the fun you have with your hobby!

Looking forward to more....... (pics)

:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14548599#post14548599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by token
Great thread, great corals. Love the tank, the concept and the fun you have with your hobby!

Looking forward to more....... (pics)

:)

Thanks token! It is a lot of fun, especially when you can share it with other who have the same interests. Speaking of interests, I see that you listed Japanese Maples. Do you have any issues with keeping them thriving in Texas? I know they don't like extreme heat and they need some cold weather to really achieve those amazing colors. Oh yeah, gardening is another hobby of mine. Just wished I have more time for all of them :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14546473#post14546473 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mpoletti
Then mix it up with some pictures :p

Here are a few to commemorate the occasion :)

IMG_3732.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_4025.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14549582#post14549582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mpoletti
What about the sticks :D

You know, for the life of me, I can't get the colors to come out right taking pix through the front. I'll have to make a camera box for the SLR and do some top downs. All the colors seem to come out washed down. For example, the vivid purple on the Dale's Unknown looks light blue. More practice ahead, I guess :rolleyes:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14549540#post14549540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pookstreet
Speaking of interests, I see that you listed Japanese Maples. Do you have any issues with keeping them thriving in Texas? I know they don't like extreme heat and they need some cold weather to really achieve those amazing colors.
Some of them do much better than common thinking would lead one to believe. For the most part, it's about the right tree in an appropriate spot.

I think the secret is to avoid types that lend themselves to needing a cooler climate. Small, thin leaves will obviously dry out more quickly than a larger leaf. Even the palest of the lime-green leafed varieties will darken in what serves us for full shade here. Large trees, unless a very common and sturdy type like "Artropurpureum", are sure to suffer in our wind and long-ish period without rain from late July to early (or later) September.

Like our corals, it's about a bit of experimentation and adjustment. We can guess broadly how something might fare, but only digging in and planting it will tell.

Heck, that sounds a lot like life, too.... :)

Back to our regularly scheduled programming....

OK, stick to the LPS and fish then ;)

I have a top down box that Jorge sent to me, but its to big to fit into my canopy :( I'll send it down next week if you want.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14549659#post14549659 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by token
Like our corals, it's about a bit of experimentation and adjustment. We can guess broadly how something might fare, but only digging in and planting it will tell.

Heck, that sounds a lot like life, too.... :)

Sounds like a life lesson everyone should take to heart!

I personally prefer the dwarfed varieties. But b/c I know they don't fare particularly well in our intense sun and blazing summers, I only have one specimen in a semi shaded area of our yard. It's doing fairly well going on 10 years. I wished I could keep more of them. But just like putting the wrong type of animals in our tanks and risking their health, I chose to experiment with only one. I was in heaven when I visited the DC National Arboretum years ago. Something else I would love to keep are the flowing fruit trees.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14549669#post14549669 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mpoletti
OK, stick to the LPS and fish then ;)

I have a top down box that Jorge sent to me, but its to big to fit into my canopy :( I'll send it down next week if you want.

:eek:

Sounds good. I'll give it a shot and see how it fits my camera. Thanks! Do you still have my address?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14549760#post14549760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pookstreet
:eek:

Sounds good. I'll give it a shot and see how it fits my camera. Thanks! Do you still have my address?

I have to check in the garage if I still have the box from shipping. Just shoot me it again in a PM or email. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back